The Trials and Tribulations of LostKnight

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

LostKnight

Re: The Trials and Tribulations of LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

WELL!!!!!!! Happy Father's Day! Woke up to this:
BBC News wrote: Electrical failure cuts power to all of Argentina and Uruguay, supplier says

A massive electrical failure has left almost all of Argentina and Uruguay without power, according to a major Argentine electricity provider.

Parts of Paraguay were also affected, a state energy company said.

Argentine media said the power cut occurred shortly after 07:00 (11:00 BST), causing trains to be halted and failures with traffic signalling.

It came as people in parts of Argentina were preparing to go to the polls for local elections.
What do we know about the blackout?

"A massive failure in the electrical interconnection system left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power," electricity supply company Edesur said in a tweet.

Alejandra Martinez, a spokeswoman for the company, described the power cut as unprecedented.

"This is the first time something like this has happened across the entire country."

The exact cause of the blackout has not yet been determined. Citing official sources, Argentine media reported that it was linked to a failure in the transmission of electricity from the Yacycretá hydroelectric dam.

The Ministry of Civil Protection estimated that parts of the service could be restored in about seven or eight hours.

Argentine President Mauricio Macri said power had been restored to over 50% of clients and local media reported that two airports were operating on generators in the capital. Priority has been given to hospitals.

Uruguay's energy company, UTE, said in a series of tweets that power had been restored to coastal areas and to areas north of Rio Negro.
How have people been affected?

The combined population of Argentina and Uruguay is about 48 million people.

Among the affected provinces in Argentina were Santa Fe, San Luis, Formosa, La Rioja, Chubut, Cordoba and Mendoza, reports said. Tierra del Fuego in the far south is the only area that remains unaffected because it is not connected to the power grid.

In neighbouring Paraguay, parts of Ayolas, Pilar, Villalbín and the border areas of Misiones and Ñeembucú were also without power.

One of Argentina's biggest water companies, Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos, warned those without power to conserve water, as the distribution of drinking water had been affected by the outage.

Social media reports of the power were widespread - from the capital Buenos Aires in the north, to Mendoza in the west and Comodoro Rivadavia in the south, among many other cities. Residents posted pictures of dark towns and cities and long lines of cars queuing at petrol stations.

"Everything came to a halt. Elevators, water pumps, everything. We were left adrift," Juan Borges, who lives in Buenos Aires, told the BBC.

"There are some elderly people on the eighth floor but nothing happened, because the power cut was short. If it had gone on for longer it would have been a whole different story." he said.

People in Buenos Aires are communicating on Whatsapp to pass on information about cafes in the city which appear to have power. Subway services are no longer running.

Local media have been showing voters casting their local election ballots in the dark, with mobile phones being used as lanterns. Elections have been delayed in several regional provinces.
NY Times wrote: Power Cut Hits Argentina and Uruguay, Affecting Tens of Millions

BUENOS AIRES — A widespread power failure early Sunday left all of mainland Argentina and Uruguay without power, a blackout that an energy company official called “unprecedented.”

The blackout’s cause remained unclear. But much of Argentina was hit by heavy rainfall this weekend, and Uruguay’s state-owned utility, UTE, said some systems were damaged by the recent rain and still needed to be repaired.

The power failure was traced to two 500,000-volt lines in a corridor that takes power to Buenos Aires from the Yacyretá dam, which serves Argentina and Paraguay. But why it occurred was still being determined.

The blackouts brought the transportation system in Buenos Aires to a halt as trains and subways stopped and traffic lights went dark. The water company AySA, based in Buenos Aires, asked customers to ration water because its distribution system had shut down.

Flights operated normally, said Carlos Armentano, a spokesman for Aeropuertos Argentina 2000, the company that runs most of the country’s airports. But Argentine ports came to a standstill for a few hours, said Guillermo Wade, the manager for the Port and Maritime Activities Chamber.

Across the region, residents posted images on social media of their dark towns and cities.

“There is a complete blackout in Argentina,” said Alejandra Martínez, a spokeswoman for Edesur, an electricity company in Argentina which serves parts of Buenos Aires and its suburbs and has more than 2.5 million customers. She said this was unprecedented.

“This is the first time something like this has happened across the entire country,” she said.

Argentina has more than 44 million people, while Uruguay’s population is about 3.5 million.

An electrical grid that serves both nations “collapsed” at 7:07 a.m., cutting electricity in all of Argentina and affecting Uruguay as well, the Argentine Secretariat of Energy said.

“The causes have not been determined and are being investigated,” it added.

Edesur announced on Twitter about 7:50 a.m. that a “massive failure in the electrical interconnection system left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power.”

Una falla masiva en el sistema de interconexión eléctrica dejó sin energía a toda la Argentina y Uruguay. Ampliaremos con más información. #SinLuz #CortedeLuz
— Edesur Argentina (@OficialEdesur) June 16, 2019

Uruguay’s UTE also said on Twitter that a malfunction in the Argentine network before dawn had left the “entire national territory” without service.

By midday, power was slowly returning to parts of both countries. The Energy Secretariat of Argentina said that one-third of the supply had been restored as of 1:30 p.m.

The systems are resuming “gradually as a result of thermal plants coming into service,” it said.

Isolated neighborhoods in Buenos Aires started getting power by midmorning, and supply returned to normal in the eastern province of Entre Rios. The province of Santa Fe had some power return, and a little more than half of normal power was restored to the western provinces of Mendoza and San Juan.

The Patagonia region got some power back, but the process was delayed by failures in the region’s power plants.

In Uruguay, services north of the Río Negro (Black River) were restored, as well as in some sections of the capital, Montevideo, and surrounding areas and along the coast.

An economist in Uruguay said on Twitter that radio outlets had reported 180,000 customers without power in Montevideo and 45,000 in Canelones, a city to the north of the capital.

In Argentina, only the southern archipelago of Tierra del Fuego appeared to be unaffected, according to local reports.

In 2009, a huge power failure in Brazil involving the world’s largest operating hydroelectric plant caused widespread blackouts that affected tens of millions of people and exposed the vulnerability of the country’s electricity infrastructure.

That failure occurred at the Itaipú plant, which straddles the border between Brazil and Paraguay along the Paraná River and is a critical source of power for both nations.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
Leone

Post by Leone »

I saw about that on the news and thought about you. I guess you're one of the 48m affected?
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Wow!!! Happy Father's day to you as well.

It shows how quickly life can radically change. To the dad's hold close those who are in your care because we don't know what tomorrow might bring. A happy Father's day is not what it brings us but rather what we can give to make our loved ones feel special and safe. That makes for a happy father!!
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Leone wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm I saw about that on the news and thought about you. I guess you're one of the 48m affected?
Yea, got power back here about ±13:00. And still about 30% of the city is without power. Not sure about the rest of the country or Uruguay.

Apparently from what's going on on TV here is there is a HUGE DOUBT!
The problem: the dam does not supply power to the entire country.
BBC: The exact cause of the blackout has not yet been determined. Citing official sources, Argentine media reported that it was linked to a failure in the transmission of electricity from the Yacycretá hydroelectric dam.
NY Times - The power failure was traced to two 500,000-volt lines in a corridor that takes power to Buenos Aires from the Yacyretá dam, which serves Argentina and Paraguay. But why it occurred was still being determined.
Why did ALL the computers "shut off the switch" throughout the country?
BBC News - Local media have been showing voters casting their local election ballots in the dark, with mobile phones being used as lanterns. Elections have been delayed in several regional provinces.
coincides with what going on on TV here. Elections all over Argentina. Some voting by candle light. They still use paper ballots here.
My wife says there is talk of a computer virus that shut down the power coming out now. Preliminary suspicion but it's going to be investigated.
I was always AFK!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Thank you Gull, and a Happy Daddy's Day to you too. :D

We all deserve it.
I was always AFK!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Happy Father's day to all FT dads out there. May you graciously accept those "unique" ;) gifts and treats that children pass along. :D

That's nuts with the power outage. Hope all returns to normal down there!
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Thank you Seller of Swords and 1st Class Daddy.
{I asked the naming committee :mrgreen: }

Last report 65% of the country has power.

Couple of neighbourhood's (Recoleta and Belgrano) had transformers burn out as the power came back, so that's another fix.

But we are still good here.

Also, as a side note: Been raining here for a solid week now and going to continue until Tuesday. Growing webs between toes and fingers.
I was always AFK!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Sun 16 Jun, 2019 @ 17:54 <<<--- My last post here. Time to revive this thread.

Saw GOLGREN last night. Made my day! Have not seen him in a long long time. My mentor is back!. Whoever said old ogres die, lied, they simply re-spawn! And respawn bigger and better!

Been a LONG week ... non stop running around like crazy. Today was a doozie!

Breakfast, supermarket, for some "we need today stuff", doctors office for a prescription then a pharmacy for MIL. Then I took my computer to a shop to "exchange" 4GB RAM stick for an (GB RAM stick, got a deal on a used graphics card which meant a savings of 1500 pesos. Hey I'm for saving coin even if it means spending a bit more than I was planning on. So doubled my RAM and freed up the RAM my "on board graphics card" was chewing up and all seemed good in the shop ...

BUT ... there is always a but isn't there.

Got home hooked everything up and OOPS! no internet connection. The shop didn't test for internet, why should they, memory and a graphic card are not net related. Tried everything, nothing would work. So I figured I'll run a live version of Linux. BINGO! I had net access. OK something changed ... but what, figured I'd put Linux on another partition of the HDD and see what's what. During the install I saw it was setting up DCHP to enp3s0. WHAT! That should be enp2s0, so I back out of the install, log into my Linux distro and change my network file to use "enp3s0" and rebooted.

Sure enough I'm up and running with internet. Tomorrow after going to the supermarket with MIL, to get the "main haul" I hope to have more time, I'm bushed tonight. Just watch a Bruce Willis movie, Unbreakable!

Will fool around with an alt for a bit then bed. Body aches, will be an early night.
I was always AFK!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

The thread has risen! :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

through the eye of a needle ... a post in time saves nine... or whatever. :lol:
I was always AFK!