Re: Burning Ryaca's Church

Post by Ryaca »

The book is good also
BOO!:ghost:
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Ryaca wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 pm The book is good also
Yea, read that first then saw the movie... book MUCH better {always*}.

* opinion
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Tarlin

Post by Tarlin »

Books?what are books?! Oh, you mean those stacks of papers with a picture in the front and lots of weird letters all over the inside?
Yea, we just Google now days!

I will never give up my love of reading printed books. The mind is more capable of drilling in the gaps better than any movie. I do like the movies though, however nothing replaces a fireplace on a cold night, a blanket and a book on the couch, and a hot cup of tea.
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

Agreed

I read every night before bed

Life without books would be an empty existence

Would feel hollow inside like a ghost

BOO!!!!!!!!!#
BOO!:ghost:
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

I'll admit, I pretty much stopped reading "books" many years ago; I read many as a child though.
I do go to the library when I need to, and I do open a book when seeking specific knowledge and it's handy.
Typically though, google is much more convenient.
For knowledge, etc. that will usually be where I go...
But for entertainment... well, it's not that I don't *read*.... look, I read here regularly ;)

I think the more serious issue is not the medium you use to read, or what you choose to read.
It think the serious problem is, that many choose not to read anymore.

So many ask for extensive info in the game, and when I tell them "you can read all about that in the help or on the forum"
They usually scorn me in some way for not just telling them.
I was trying to show them where to find information, not just supply the information they wanted at that exact moment.

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, he will eat for life.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
Tarlin

Post by Tarlin »

Very well said Mad. To caveat what you said, society has become dependant upon instant gratification and answers on the spot. Younger generations do not retain nearly as much of what they learn because they can easily access the answer, a video guide, or some tool they can use to get the answer that they need at almost any given moment.
I have this debate all the time with my 15 year old. She has a terrible memory but can always answer her quizzes because she uses her phone. It infuriates me. I get told to stop using big words when I say things like infuriates or caveat, this is just how I have always spoken though so I laugh at it.
Just amazes me how lazy some have become due to the ease of access. At times I am grateful for it. Other times I despise it. We used to deal with it in the military all the time where you would try and teach something new to someone and they would not want to read up on the guidelines or directives/protocol. They just want to be told how, where, when and how long.
Leone

Post by Leone »

There is so much information in this forum that it's incredible. On the one hand there's the rules which should really be read by all... but then there's a massive number of hints and tips given by players over the years, if you are prepared to look.

Type a couple of words in the search box: 'east cave' / 'mithril plate / 'swamp bow'....or whatever you like. See what pops up and find out for yourself. Much more satisfying than having to ask GMs all the time.
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

I honestly am remembering of my high school math teacher.

In his class, calculators were not allowed for the first three months.
You had to learn everything the hard way first - then you were shown the shortcuts.

This is an important and crucial method - as if the shortcut breaks down, you're not completely helpless.
Plus, the big concept of "how it works" is far more important than "it works", or "how to make it work quickly".
Seriously, where would all these kids be if the internet went down?

Were that to happen, yes I'd be devastated... but I'd still know where to go to get stuff done.
The previous example of the library was great - you can get so much knowledge there - important or trivial, it's just not as convenient.
Before the internet, it was telephones themselves - what if you couldn't call? Well, you travel there physically or use mail etc.

The big issue I think is, the basic education.
Many kids are just handed things like cellphones and internet access... they learn how to use those, sure...
But limiting oneself to only one method is never a good idea.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
Khmer

Post by Khmer »

Leone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm There is so much information in this forum that it's incredible. On the one hand there's the rules which should really be read by all... but then there's a massive number of hints and tips given by players over the years, if you are prepared to look.

Type a couple of words in the search box: 'east cave' / 'mithril plate / 'swamp bow'....or whatever you like. See what pops up and find out for yourself. Much more satisfying than having to ask GMs all the time.
Solving problems without typing 'in the search box', is truly finding out for yourself and the most satisfying. You want a great game, play Zork, It has a search box too :lol: !