Bro (subculture)

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

LostKnight

Bro (subculture)

Post by LostKnight »

Bro (subculture)
If you read that at wikipedia you will know I am not your bro, broh or bruh.
Quoting from that article:
In a New York Magazine article in September 2013, Ann Friedman wrote: "Bro once meant something specific: a self-absorbed young white guy in board shorts with a taste for cheap beer. But it’s become a shorthand for the sort of privileged ignorance that thrives in groups dominated by wealthy, white, straight men."
And everyone in the game uses it, like we are a family. Personally I HATE it, but that's just me. I do not have any brothers, I have a sister. I'm probably old enough to be a grandfarther to many who play and quite possibly a great grandfather to some.

So if you are reading this and you are someone that calls me "bro" please stop.

My name is LostKnight, feel free to call me; Lost, lk, LK, friend, buddy, chum, mate, amigo or whatever 'friend' is in your language of choice (I'll search for it).

But bro, broh or bruh does nothing for me ... except when I read it in game, my mind is screaming "I'm not your "BRO!" usually along with some other colourful adjectives I simply can't use here.

Anyone agree with me? Disagree?
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Humble_M

Re: Bro (subculture)

Post by Humble_M »

I hear ya. It's like when students call me "Mr. <last name>". I tell them my father was Mr <last name>....you can call me <first name>

(names omitted to protect the insane)
It's good to be the king!
-- History of the World - Part I (1981)

username: Humble_M (Mage)
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Humble_M wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 pm I hear ya. It's like when students call me "Mr. <last name>". I tell them my father was Mr <last name>....you can call me <first name>
Yea I hear you there too! Once when I was in the Mob (RCAF) I was standing at the entrance of the MIR (Medical Inspection Room) {a building actually} having a smoke with 2 101st Airborne members visiting Canada for an exercise. They in their rain ponchos, so their rank didn't show. One of the guys was so small I was thinking they must have added weights to his pack so an up-draft wouldn't carry him away. Anyway time passes ... Someone was called, I missed it, "Was that for Sgt LostKnight."

The largest of the 2 101st soldiers said, "No it was for "Capt {name}"

me: "Ahh not me then, I work for a living."

Few minutes later I get called, go see the medic, do my thing, get my meds and I'm leaving.

At the door the little guy is gone but the other 101st guy was still there, "Hey Sarge, just thought you should know that little guy that was here. He's my CO, Lt-Colonel (name) but he took your comment well.

OOPS!

And like you, all my life it's been; "Mr. is my father, you can call me Lost!" Never been one for that much formality.
Humble_M wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 pm (names omitted to protect the insane)
:lol: :lol: :lol: LOVE IT!
I am always AFK!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I only had brothers growing up and none of us used a variation of "bro" when referring to each other. Many, many other types of names and nicknames were used, naturally, as brothers are wont to do...
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Khmer

Post by Khmer »

LostKnight wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm
Bro (subculture)
If you read that at wikipedia you will know I am not your bro, broh or bruh.
Quoting from that article:
In a New York Magazine article in September 2013, Ann Friedman wrote: "Bro once meant something specific: a self-absorbed young white guy in board shorts with a taste for cheap beer. But it’s become a shorthand for the sort of privileged ignorance that thrives in groups dominated by wealthy, white, straight men."
And everyone in the game uses it, like we are a family. Personally I HATE it, but that's just me. I do not have any brothers, I have a sister. I'm probably old enough to be a grandfarther to many who play and quite possibly a great grandfather to some.

So if you are reading this and you are someone that calls me "bro" please stop.

My name is LostKnight, feel free to call me; Lost, lk, LK, friend, buddy, chum, mate, amigo or whatever 'friend' is in your language of choice (I'll search for it).

But bro, broh or bruh does nothing for me ... except when I read it in game, my mind is screaming "I'm not your "BRO!" usually along with some other colourful adjectives I simply can't use here.

Anyone agree with me? Disagree?
Oh, it's not just you... there are few expressions as impersonal or dumb sounding :shock:
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

To bro or not to bro...that is the question. :o I think it depends on the person saying it entirely. There was a movie that came out called Band of Brothers about the comraderie of those facing dangers together in war time. If I've fought side by side with a player and we've shared experiences together...I am honored if he considers me a brother and I might be moved to consider him a brother. Just one more thought...if someone does call you bro what is his or her intention? Is it a prelude to attack or a friendly approach to you. I'm guessing its the later in most cases. Having said all that it can be excessive....we have a game name so use it....and an abreviation is better than a generic name any day. But if a good friend calls me bro I'm gonna smile because I feel the same way about them! :D
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

I'd bet the "Band of Brothers" didn't run around calling everyone "bro", even if there was a "camaraderie" feeling among them, same for a ships company or an air force squadron. These guys lived, fought and died side by side in a war. But I'll also bet there were moments of "You're my brother, I'll do anything for you!", "Yea, me too!"

If I feel someone is my "family of the heart" he'll know it, I won't have to necessarily tell him, my actions with display what he means to me. Or if need be, tell him once, and then use his proper name.

Not too often you see women running around "Hi Sis!" although I'm not saying is doesn't happen.

This is the part I'm getting at: Having said all that it can be excessive It is over used to mean "friend" where "brother" should come from the heart, in which case I'd use 'brother' not bro, broh or bruh.

And in fact I have told people "You're family,", while pointing at my heart, "right here!"

There are "people" in the game I will do anything for, within the legal confines of the rules of the game. Not a clue who they are outside of the game though and that's OK, it's a game. But if any of you reading this are someone that I have shared something more personal than what's on the forum via a PM, an email, you can bet that there is a part of me that has "some feeling of camaraderie with you".
I am always AFK!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I understand the sibling/camaraderie/friend side. Very subjective of course, and to each their own in many respects there.

Very different from the above is the scenario where a random stranger walks up to you with a "hey bro" comment.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Indeed friend is a much better designation. Saint Augustine said "A friend is the half of my soul" that's what I'm talking about! Thought we needed the potential positives of the thread so we are not called Bro bashers...
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

SellSword wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 pm I understand the sibling/camaraderie/friend side. Very subjective of course, and to each their own in many respects there.

Very different from the above is the scenario where a random stranger walks up to you with a "hey bro" comment.
That's basically my point, the 'walk by' "Hi Bro" from total strangers ... which in itself negates the positive meaning of "Brother"

In Germany don't ask someone "Hi, how are you?" as we do back home and usually get a "Hi, fine and you?" Because in Germany they will start telling you all about their aches and pains and how they are sad because the family dog of 12 years passed away and {an hour later} but other than that I am fine.", because they think you really wanted to know. At least it was that way back in the 80's
Gullander wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:24 pm Indeed friend is a much better designation. Saint Augustine said "A friend is the half of my soul" that's what I'm talking about! Thought we needed the potential positives of the thread so we are not called Bro bashers...
Don't mean to be a "Bro" basher, and can fully understand where you are coming from and the fact that it is, or seems to be, becoming a synonym for "friend". Buddy, pal, chum, or even the BrEng: mate. (8. informal term for a friend of the same sex).
I am always AFK!