crime and punishment

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

rearrow

crime and punishment

Post by rearrow »

there have always been discussions about why someone got jail and others not. or why someone got out faster then others. However, except for cases where someine had been jailed many many times almost all got out eventually and could continue their ft carreer after this 'holiday'.

Things have changed however.
in the last months people have been permanently jailed for the duplucate item bug abuse and for 'sharing'
permanent jail is basicly the death penaly for the account and therefor very different from temporary jail or reduced lvls.
there is no comming back from it and it potentialy destroys years of work and investments.
For this reason permant jail cases should be public and not been done by a shadowy group of people deciding things in a backroom without any need for explanation.

governments who make people disapear without a public trial or explanation are subject to boycots, sanctions and are reviled by most civilised people. the right to a public trial is almost universally accepted.

But not in ft.
Here you can be made to disapear without any explanation.

An the relationship between most crime and resulting punshment seems to be unclear or arbitrary.

sharing=perm jail is clear
bug abuse to create free items =perm jail is clear

but what about for instance extortion: give me lvls or i will keep killing you. this is basicly asking for real money or i kill you in game. thats in fact criminal in reallife. but it happens here in game and goes unpunished.

or abusing a bug to destroy something people have worked for for ages. a week jail wont work to prevent that. not when someone just uses,another account for a week.

any punishment should basicly have 3objectives.
1) deter the person from more crime
2) remove any ill gotten gains
3) make sure the person is a lot worse of after the crime then before.

Even the mechanism is unclear.
does a perm jail sentence need to be unaninous between all gm?, all admin? only a majority? only one? we dont know.

so here are my 4main areas to improve the ft crime and punishment system:

1) make clear how punishments are decided. which types just require one gm (settlements) which a majority, which unanimous decisions.

2) for permanent jail crimes make the account and reason for perm jail public. no more making people disapear.

3) create a public list of perm jail crimes and those which will result in halfed lvls.
only having sharing on it seems rediculous if you dont include real criminal stuff like extortion.

4) make clear how repeated crimes affect punishment.
In real life you see repeat offenders get heavyer sentences, even if the crimes differ. in ft we dont see this happening much or at least we see some walking free who have been in jail a lot. this promotes abuse instead of deterring it.
hungry_wolf

Re: crime and punishment

Post by hungry_wolf »

I totally agree with ur request of transparency.
Until something like this not set, we ll talk all the time
about 'law is not same for all', favours and so on.
Maybe this can keep forum alive, but personally only makes me angry.
Thx for this post
Sword dislike sieging - hungrywolf
Dwarf dislike mining - tarvos
Archer dislike crafting - matcauthon
Ogre dislike fishing - heimdall
Mage dislike magic - ogonbat

Member of Ignobili of Ft

Duke of dead clan FTFR
death911

Post by death911 »

yup totally great idea.
transparency is needed.
and rules should be same for all..
repeat offenders deserve severe punishment.
only 1 week jail is a holiday for them.
What is Death!!
To think our self confidence is lower than that of our enemies is Death!!
Staying alive in battlefield in fear of our enemies is Death!!
Running from our enemy instead of fighting is Death!!
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

While I typically don't respond in these types of posts, I honestly believe that rearrow is right regarding several points. Some crimes (like extortion) go unpunished entirely, while other players are perm jailed for reasons unknown. Perm jail is a big deal, since the account is relatively gone forever. Some idea as to why a case would warrant such a decision would go a long way to stop the "naysayers" that claim favoritism when another player walks away from jail on a regular basis.

Don't get my point wrong. I'm not claiming that accounts are being perm jailed unfairly. I do believe that perhaps some others don't get punished harshly enough for their actions, for whatever reason.
Omnes Autem Uri
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

I'm going to have to disagree here - several reasons immediately come to mind, but perhaps the simplest is this:

TIME.

Being "public" with all this would literally, easily double the amount of time involved. Sure, posting findings would be relatively quick... but we all know it wouldn't end there. We (the players) would argue and complain nonstop. Then the GMs could either ignore us (which would look and feel worse than never having posted at all) or spend limitless time arguing with us and defending their decisions. It would be a misuse of their time, and erode trust amongst the community. As much as people hate to hear this, it's often better to not know all the details of things.
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
death911

Post by death911 »

no need of any arguments . just post it in the general information forum and lock the thread. the account being jail and reason.
everyone has right to information
What is Death!!
To think our self confidence is lower than that of our enemies is Death!!
Staying alive in battlefield in fear of our enemies is Death!!
Running from our enemy instead of fighting is Death!!
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

I completely agree with blitzcraig

He is ever the voice of reason
Ryaca_1 is retired
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

death911 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 pm no need of any arguments . just post it in the general information forum and lock the thread. the account being jail and reason.
This could possibly be the end of the GM involvement, but locking a thread hasnt really ever done much to stop arguments as someone will just create a new thread to continue the discussion.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

@blitz,
regarding time:
a general list with crime- punishment would not take that much time.

nor would explaini g how the decisions are made atm. or how multiple 'crimes' affect jail time.
all i know just one gm could perm jail me on a whim. we dont know how it works.

i do know that many dont speak up on forum because they are afraid that critisising gm might get them in trouble.

im also not asking for in debt discission on all punishments. but perm jail (ie ft death penalty) should not be that common and at least the crime and punishment should be made public.

every man has the right to a fair trial and nobody should be made to disapear without having the 'authorities'answer to anyone.

some of us live in countries where these basic human rights are not guaranteed, where you cannot critisize and where people do disapear.

seeing things like that happening with, even in a game, is scary and sends the wrong message to the younger players. lack of time is no excuse to contune doing these things.
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

SellSword wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 am
death911 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 pm no need of any arguments . just post it in the general information forum and lock the thread. the account being jail and reason.
This could possibly be the end of the GM involvement, but locking a thread hasnt really ever done much to stop arguments as someone will just create a new thread to continue the discussion.
true, and thats a good thing.
ft should be a free world. not a dictatorship.

but at least we wpuld know the reason. now its all rumor.