returning players and communication of changes

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

rearrow

Re: returning players

Post by rearrow »

how about you making a new topic in suggestions proposing to use system msg to communicate changes in punishment or rules for 2weeks?

It might have more impact comming froman ex gm lol.

Although i beleave that my relationship with individual gms, admins and creator is still very good. i might get heated and be active with critisism, but thats because i care and because a lot of comments from others are passed to me from clan, allance and friend chats to put on forum.

I have always liked the forum stuff,but lots of others dont.
you might not beleave it but im also much more nuanced and diplomatic thenlots of them.

So within clan, alliance and other groups we all have our roles, some are builders, some are defenders/pvpers, and one of my roles is forum work. il check the forum and inform several groups about major changes. and i do most of the communication on forum.

Another reason im very active here is that i beleave every 'government' needs criticasters. and admins and gm are fts government.

I firmly beleave they do their utmost best out of love for ft, but the fact that they have very limited resources (time) and are (therefor) somewhat out of touch with the current reality in the ft world, means that input from players about the real ft world and priorities from a players point of view are very important.
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

System messages are very annoying and mess up chat. If it were up to me there would be no system messages.

I don't know why players are so worried about this issue.

So what if a player gets jailed for cheating. Its no skin off my back.

Why do players feel the need to pick up the social justice warrior torch for a bunch of players that they don't know?

I'm sure that with social media email and these forums that every player is very aware about the sharing rule now.

I guarantee you that this is the most talked about change in the history of FT.

It's laughable that anyone would think that there is even one player that doesn't know about this by now.
Ryaca_1 is retired
death911

Post by death911 »

@Nahgus
It doesn't matter whether i know a person or not. because i am not voicing my opinion for them.
i will always voice my opinion what i feel right.

To summarise what i feel:
1) Do GMs do their work efficiently? - Yes , they do. they are over worked too at many times.

2) Was there a change in rules for Sharing accounts? - No , it was not. Earlier also Sharing accounts was illegal.

3) Was there a change in the punishment for Sharing accounts? - Yes, From March 5th 2018 it was declared to be permanently jailed for Sharing.( Although my personal opinion is temp jail on 1st offence and Perm Jail on second/ Repeat offence)

4) Was the change good for FT ? - Yes, Because Sharing accounts is equivalent to cheating.

5) Was the Change implemented in a proper way - No.
Why? - Because at first it was only an announcements in forum..( Not a good way to make everyone aware of ). Many players knew about that rule only after listening from other players..
Later they improved their method of implementation by making a CHECK BOX at login which states that i have read all rules and regulations. (a Better method than just posting in forum)
But still it could have been way better by posting in SYSTEM MESSAGE.
That way all players would have definitely known for sure and it is the duty of the staff to make everyone aware.

6) Does almost every player know now about the rule change ? - Yes, Many players know. How? Some from reading forum. And many by hearing from other players and after hearing some players getting jailed due to Sharing. Still a lot may not be knowing.

7) How will a player know if any change happens again in future? - Keep checking tbe forum everytime before you login. U never know what change may happen when. And staff wouldn't make an effort to make u aware of the change due to Poor communication. Or we can know about any change by listening from other players and after listening about other players getting jailed
What is Death!!
To think our self confidence is lower than that of our enemies is Death!!
Staying alive in battlefield in fear of our enemies is Death!!
Running from our enemy instead of fighting is Death!!
death911

Post by death911 »

blitzcraig wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 am I agree (for whatever it's worth) that it is a helpful tool to help the community stay informed and current in regards to the expectations that the GM team has of us.

anything that improves communication between GMs and players is good in my book
+1
This is exactly what i am talking about
What is Death!!
Arashiko

Post by Arashiko »

Martek's and Ashdown system messages are daily events. The messages aren't repeated constantly.

The Privacy policy announcement could possibly be on the login screen, with a link to the privacy policy just below the link to the game rules, and the system message discontinued.

Then a system message each hour warning that selling or sharing accounts will lead to those accounts being taken away by the admins.
Arashiko Senior GM (RETIRED )
Now playing again as Arozel.

rearrow

Post by rearrow »

+50.

with the adition that in my opinion if there are other major changes this method is used if they have inreversable consequences (ie permanent jail or lots of lvl losses on first offense without warning)

because i do agree that probably 99% of regular ft players are aware of the penalty of sharing.

It will be very hard to deny knowing about a change if this method is used to communicate an upcomming change.
(the one thing i realy like about how the sharing penalty was handled was that it was anounced a few weeks before becomming reality.
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

just realised that it could be just the following system.msg when anything is changed in the rules:
"Important change in (implementation) of rules!
Please check rules (link on login screen) so you are aware"

if its a future change it could refer to forum and topic
death911

Post by death911 »

Arashiko wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm Martek's and Ashdown system messages are daily events. The messages aren't repeated constantly.

The Privacy policy announcement could possibly be on the login screen, with a link to the privacy policy just below the link to the game rules, and the system message discontinued.

Then a system message each hour warning that selling or sharing accounts will lead to those accounts being taken away by the admins.
+100

Really nice to listen about that.
i hope all future important announcements be announced as SYSTEM MESSAGE. Its really a nice way to make everyone aware.
It need not be a message in detail. Just a simple line like " Sharing accounts is illegal. pls read forum about rules" is enough.
For any other major announcements also simple lines like "New rules regarding (Any change) . please check forum" is enough to make players aware.
What is Death!!
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

death911 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:09 pm @Nahgus
It doesn't matter whether i know a person or not. because i am not voicing my opinion for them.
i will always voice my opinion what i feel right.

To summarise what i feel:
1) Do GMs do their work efficiently? - Yes , they do. they are over worked too at many times.

2) Was there a change in rules for Sharing accounts? - No , it was not. Earlier also Sharing accounts was illegal.

3) Was there a change in the punishment for Sharing accounts? - Yes, From March 5th 2018 it was declared to be permanently jailed for Sharing.( Although my personal opinion is temp jail on 1st offence and Perm Jail on second/ Repeat offence)

4) Was the change good for FT ? - Yes, Because Sharing accounts is equivalent to cheating.

5) Was the Change implemented in a proper way - No.
Why? - Because at first it was only an announcements in forum..( Not a good way to make everyone aware of ). Many players knew about that rule only after listening from other players..
Later they improved their method of implementation by making a CHECK BOX at login which states that i have read all rules and regulations. (a Better method than just posting in forum)
But still it could have been way better by posting in SYSTEM MESSAGE.
That way all players would have definitely known for sure and it is the duty of the staff to make everyone aware.

6) Does almost every player know now about the rule change ? - Yes, Many players know. How? Some from reading forum. And many by hearing from other players and after hearing some players getting jailed due to Sharing. Still a lot may not be knowing.

7) How will a player know if any change happens again in future? - Keep checking tbe forum everytime before you login. U never know what change may happen when. And staff wouldn't make an effort to make u aware of the change due to Poor communication. Or we can know about any change by listening from other players and after listening about other players getting jailed
You can stop mentioning that players should have to check the forums every time before they log on. The last change to the rules was on March 5th 2018. The last change before that was february 1rst 2017 well over a year ago. Obviously, these changes don't happen everyday. The current system message that comes up in chat very often is annoying and unnecessary and extremely frustrating when clan wars are going on. It would be ridiculous to keep adding on top of this. Or we can keep going out of our way to cater to irresponsible players and have nothing but system messages all the time so that our chat is interrupted constantly. And you do care about players that you don't know or you wouldn't be so adamant about the issue. # SJW
Ryaca_1 is retired
death911

Post by death911 »

@Nahgus
So how often do u suggest a player should check forum for any change ideally?
As u said recent change occured in March 5th 2018. So how does any player know about the change at the earliest if he hasn't checked the forum on March 5th or 6th itself or if he is not in a habit of checking forum everyday?So that he knows at the earliest? Will it come to him in dreams that " Oh today there maybe some important change so i should go and check the forum !!"
Or do u suggest that a player knowing about any change by hearing from other players is the most reliable and best way to get to know about any change?
SYSTEM MESSAGES may be annoying to you. But those are an important way of communication for all the players. Why should other player suffer by getting deprived of getting some important announcements just because someone get annoyed by the best method of communication? If the announcements come in SYSTEM MESSAGE then players will check the forum when there is an announcements.in SYSTEM MESSAGE.They won't have to check everyday.
And you can STOP mentioning that i am catering to irresponsible players i don't know. I will say what i feel right and what should be the proper way to implement a change. that's why i appear adamant.

And also u mentioned that earlier a change occured at Feb 1st 2017, so if a player doesn't log in on Feb 1st or Feb 2nd itself how will he come to know about that at the earliest? The alternative is keep checking forum everytime before a player logs in..

If U are annoyed by SYSTEM MESSAGES then suggest a way in which SYSTEM MESSAGES will not be annoying to u. How can u say that Important announcements (or anything) should not come in SYSTEM MESSAGE because its annoying to me?
Last edited by death911 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is Death!!