returning players and communication of changes

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Leone

Re: returning players

Post by Leone »

I think we're going round in circles here and repeating the same argument. Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. It means you are sticking with your viewpoint whilst others disagree with you. Sometimes all parties involved need to accept these differences.

If someone ticks that box at the login screen then they have signed to say they have read the rules. There can be no arguing with that. If that player hasn't actually read the rules, then that is their responsibility and, quite frankly, they do not have a leg to stand on if they are found to be breaking a rule or rules.

The system message has its advantages and disadvantages. I think this summarises them:

Advantage:
all players will see the message on a regular basis.

Disadvantages:
even if they see the message, it doesn't follow that they will go view the game rules

It clogs up the chat function that already has normal speech, private speech, current system messages, GM messages (rarely) and clan speech (if applicable)

As far as I can tell, that's where we are up to. I can't really see the benefit of repeating these as we may understand these points of view although may also disagree with them.

My issue is looking forward. Let's say this system message is implemented. Ok then: first issue - how long for? A day, a werk, a month, a year? I can guarantee that within a few days of it being removed then this very same argument will resurface as someone will plead ignorance of the rules.

Second issue: where do we draw the line with this? Do we have system messages for ALL rules changes? No, of course not. In that case, which issues should or shouldn't be written as system messages? Who decides that?
Also, what will happen when a player is found guilty of breaking a rule not included as a system message? They will undoubtedly plead ignorance of the rules.

So perhaps it isn't the best answer after all.

I'd love for something like reading rule changes then completing a short quiz. I realise that's not going to happen though.

I'd also love an NPC at the start map that logs you out and sends you to the forum. That's not going to happen either.

How about something like when you reach a level that's a multiple of ten, you get a message similar to the congratulations when you reach level ten itself? Instead of a well done you read 'don't forget to check the forum for game rules' or something similar? This certainly won't be as intrusive as constant system messages.

Until a better system can be implemented, and there will be one by the way - it's just that we haven't thought of it yet - let us not forget that us players have to accept a certain level of responsibility for our actions. Nobody enjoys getting told 'no' but sometimes we just have to accept it and move on.
death911

Post by death911 »

Yes a message like the one we get at lvl 10 would also do the job..
Whenever any new change happens then that can Also come as a POP UP message just like that when we reach 10 lvl.
Or even better if such annoucements come in the i (information) box just right to the trade box. So that they need not come in SYSTEM MESSAGE again and again and stay the information box. Just like Quests stay in Quest book. The announcements stay the Information box. this will be less annoying to certain players
What is Death!!
To think our self confidence is lower than that of our enemies is Death!!
Staying alive in battlefield in fear of our enemies is Death!!
Running from our enemy instead of fighting is Death!!
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

death911 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 pm @Nahgus
So how often do u suggest a player should check forum for any change ideally?
As u said recent change occured in March 5th 2018. So how does any player know about the change at the earliest if he hasn't checked the forum on March 5th or 6th itself or if he is not in a habit of checking forum everyday?So that he knows at the earliest? Will it come to him in dreams that " Oh today there maybe some important change so i should go and check the forum !!"
Or do u suggest that a player knowing about any change by hearing from other players is the most reliable and best way to get to know about any change?
SYSTEM MESSAGES may be annoying to you. But those are an important way of communication for all the players. Why should other player suffer by getting deprived of getting some important announcements just because someone get annoyed by the best method of communication? If the announcements come in SYSTEM MESSAGE then players will check the forum when there is an announcements.in SYSTEM MESSAGE.They won't have to check everyday.
And you can STOP mentioning that i am catering to irresponsible players i don't know. I will say what i feel right and what should be the proper way to implement a change. that's why i appear adamant.

And also u mentioned that earlier a change occured at Feb 1st 2017, so if a player doesn't log in on Feb 1st or Feb 2nd itself how will he come to know about that at the earliest? The alternative is keep checking forum everytime before a player logs in..

If U are annoyed by SYSTEM MESSAGES then suggest a way in which SYSTEM MESSAGES will not be annoying to u. How can u say that Important announcements (or anything) should not come in SYSTEM MESSAGE because its annoying to me?
The forums are the official forum for FT. Any player that doesn't check these forums is at a risk to be sure. This game has been around for a very long time and didn't need system messages before for rule changes. System messages are unnecessary.
Ryaca_1 is retired
death911

Post by death911 »

Yes so how often do you suggest a player should check forum ideally?
Yes the game has been around for many days and it changes gradually for the betterment. So accept the Changes instead of criticising just because its annoying to you.
You repeatedly keep saying any player who doesn't keep checking the forum regularly is at risk.
So please answer my question how often checking the forum is ideal according to u? once a year/month/week/day/hour/minute/second
What is Death!!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Every game I know of has rules, card games, board games, brain games, and of course computer games. Even sports, they all have rules.

ANYONE "caught" breaking a rule and saying "Gee, I didn't know that rule!" to any of the above, could quite possibly be telling the truth, because they didn't read, or make themselves familiar with, the rules. As "kids" we knew games have rules and we made ourselves familiar with them so others couldn't cheat us.

So you get caught doing something wrong, because you didn't read the rules! Or maybe you read them and don't care!

TOUGH LUCK! <<-- that's my comment to that.

Now there are still some using an older version of the game (you can tell by the traded system) so they are not getting the check box about reading the rules.

T O U G H . . L U C K ! <<-- that's my comment to that.

There are at least 2 links to the forums on the opening screen of the old and new versions of the game.

T . O . U . G . H . . . . L . U . C . K . ! <<-- that's my comment to that.

Now here's my reasoning. If you are old enough to own and operate a "smart phone" or tablet you are old enough to know games have rules and old enough to know that if you break the rules bad things can happen.

"System Messages" - once every 6 hours FT Time: 00:00 - 06:00 - 12:00 - 18:00
The "Information" Box perfect place for a link to the rules, and a simple one liner:

Code: Select all

Permanent Jail for: Sharing Accounts, (stay tuned for more)
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
death911

Post by death911 »

Lol u didn't get my point i think.
I am not against punishment to Sharing accounts.
I am just in favour of proper implementation of rules.
Arashiko made an announcement today about the change in punishment about Sharing accounts being Declared in SYSTEM MESSAGE.
i liked that. Its one step closer regarding good communication between Staff and players.
If someone finds that annoying then yes any message regarding any new announcements may come in " Information Box ", so that it stays there just as a Quest stays in Quest book..
That's also a very good idea.
What is Death!!
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

death911 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 pm Yes so how often do you suggest a player should check forum ideally?
Yes the game has been around for many days and it changes gradually for the betterment. So accept the Changes instead of criticising just because its annoying to you.
You repeatedly keep saying any player who doesn't keep checking the forum regularly is at risk.
So please answer my question how often checking the forum is ideal according to u? once a year/month/week/day/hour/minute/second
I would suggest checking the new version announcements once a day. I am not against having system messages being sent like a message envelope so as not to interfere in chat. I think that would be ok.

On another note, have you ever considered becoming a GM? With the years that you have been around FT and the fact that you are not involved in clans i think that you would make a great candidate and i would certainly vote for you. Just something to think about.
Ryaca_1 is retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

@ death911

OOPS! <<--- I'm famous for those, sorry.

My post still hold true though, to those that cheat and get caught: Tough Luck!
Last edited by LostKnight on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

LostKnight wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 pm @ death911

OOPS! <<--- I'm famous for those, sorry.

My post still hold true though, to those that cheat and get caught: Touch Luck!
Agree 100%
Ryaca_1 is retired
death911

Post by death911 »

@ Nahgus.
Thank you for appreciating my thoughts.
About being GM , i really haven't given a thought . Why? Because i am real busy in real life( a Doctor). Being a GM certainly is a very hard work and requires a lot a responsibility. I can't also play much these days due to work pressure and family problems. whatever little time i get i try enjoying the Game a little bit. But I do love FT. and inspite of all my work, i try to play as much as possible. And some day i would like to contribute to the game in someway.
What is Death!!