returning players and communication of changes

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

rearrow

returning players and communication of changes

Post by rearrow »

Edit: RENAMED TOPIC TO REFLECT HOW TOPIC HAS DEVELOPED.
Recently i have seen some players returning to ft who were absent for a year, 2years or more.
great to see that.

but what should they do if someone else had access to their account during their absense?

Asuming that they registered their email so they would not loose account and that they contacted and agreed with the user of that account during their absense that the returned player will be sole user again.

if they just reset pw and logon the account would be perm jailed. would they need to pm a gm or an admin?
Its what i usualy advise them, but it might be a good idea to mention something in the no sharing subject about this.

Now mchat reads like:
hi im back
welcome back, nice to see you. DONT LOGIN
you might be perm jailed if someone used your account.
What why, email is mine. what shouId I do?
I dont know, pm i guess. DONT PANIC
Last edited by rearrow on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
death911

Re: returning players

Post by death911 »

To avoid these types of problems only i advised temp jail on 1st time offenders and perm jail for further repeat offences. But it seems no one seems to care and the only possibility for such accounts seems to be perm jail.
I guess it's a matter to PANIC for them rather than DON'T PANIC..
What is Death!!
To think our self confidence is lower than that of our enemies is Death!!
Staying alive in battlefield in fear of our enemies is Death!!
Running from our enemy instead of fighting is Death!!
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

They should cross their fingers and hope they don't get caught for having been cheating. If the do lose their account, they should create a new one and not cheat anymore.
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
ardesia

Post by ardesia »

Lets' imagine this case.

A player left the game long ago, giving a friend the password of their accounts; having been done at a time when rule 6 was not strictly enforced, this was a bad idea but not *too* risky.

Now, the player decides they miss FT (eh eh eh of course they do: it's a wonderful game) and wants to return.
They open the app, insert login and password and notice a "I accept game rules".
They think "Uhm... I don't remember exactly what game rules were about, let's go read them"
They open forum, find game rules translated in several languages, and read them.
They see trading (sharing included) is not allowed at all, so they do not login and instead contact a staff member through forum PM in order to ask for a suggestion about what to do now.

This, in case the friend they left use of the account is not a good friend.
Because a good friend would stop using the account as soon as the announcement about rule 6 being enforced went published, and possibly inform the player about the news.
[GM] ardesia :: Game Admin :: Currently retired
If you need contacting me, write my vasinta forum account a message
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

this would be theoraticly possible.
but if you are finaly returning after years i dont think its very likely that they would first start reading the rules.
Nobody would exect the action of just logging in causing a perm jail. they are more likely to log in and ask friends or clanmembers in chat "hi, anything changed'.

But practicly,
is the following what they should do?
1) Change pw.
2) pm GM about their return.
3) start play , or wait for confirmation?).
Leone

Post by Leone »

Or start another character
Bence

Post by Bence »

Rearrow has right. First of all, everyone would log in to the game. After seeing the system message about the rules they will check them, because if it is a system message, it must be very important. The "i accept the rules" checkbox could be a simply and usual think that we can see like everywhere.
"We are unity in diversity"
lvl 1006 mage
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Bence wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 pm Rearrow has right. First of all, everyone would log in to the game. After seeing the system message about the rules they will check them, because if it is a system message, it must be very important. The "i accept the rules" checkbox could be a simply and usual think that we can see like everywhere.
Everyone who accepts terms of a service (FT, credit card, lease, etc.), uses the service, and then finds out later they don't agree with the terms has only themselves to blame.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

so i asume you read all the rules before you log in each time. something might have changed.in principle your right. but not in practice.

it may be hard to understand for someone who hasnt had to take a break but when you do you start not only missing the game but even more your friends.

so a lot of times someone would just log in after a few months to say hello. how,are you, etc. he might not even move,

this player would certainly not read the rules before that.
he is not going to play, just chat.
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

If a player logs on after a long absence and does not read the rules after clicking that they have read the rules then any punishment that comes their way is very well deserved.
Ryaca_1 is retired