#WeWantSpecialSkin

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Nahgus

Re: #WeWantSpecialSkin

Post by Nahgus »

blitzcraig wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 am few thoughts (yes, yes I know... this conversation does not matter to GMs anymore (and nor a should it maybe lol) this isn't trying to make the case or influence any decisions... simply a matter of conversation ;)

anyway, back to my couple thoughts here

1> I think that anybody worried about wasting GMs time with special skins is greatly overestimating how much time is involved with them, AFTER you ignore the ones given for reaching specific level... like seriously... greatly, greatly overestimating it lol. how many players have a special skin for contributing something to the game aside from the level ones? maybe 5? 10? heck... let's say 50.
now let's say that each of those accounts required 5 minutes of GM time to choose and receive a skin... heck, let's say 10 minutes -- so let's say we're looking at 500 minutes of GM time over the course of 5 years.... that's 100 minutes per year. uh.... ok, let's still say that's a lot of time (though I certainly don't believe it to be) - what's it balanced out by? oh yeah, new content, large translations, maybe huge bug reports? all easily worth a few minutes of GM time during any given month 😜

next, you say they aren't needed for gameplay, and I agree.... but neither are any of the things for which a player may receive one (new content, translations, bug reports etc...) almost nothing in the game is needed to play - don't agree? consider this: FT had plenty of players when there were around 20 maps, no crafting, no fishing, no clan buildings, no pets etc.... none of these things are needed to play ;)

ok, I'll stop now... I'm mostly just trying to ruffle some feathers, but hopefully it helps expand the way the issue is considered amongst the players a bit as well
r u taking into account all of the pms sent to gms asking for skins or players on start map constantly spamming chat asking for skins when gm shows up?

there r only 4 lines of chat visable and with players selling items on top of this i believe it must be frustrating for gms trying to deal with actual issues and trying to help ppl and missing chat
Ryaca_1 is retired
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

Nahgus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:26 pm
r u taking into account all of the pms sent to gms asking for skins or players on start map constantly spamming chat asking for skins when gm shows up?

there r only 4 lines of chat visable and with players selling items on top of this i believe it must be frustrating for gms trying to deal with actual issues and trying to help ppl and missing chat
The key line is highlighted
blitzcraig wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 am 1> I think that anybody worried about wasting GMs time with special skins is greatly overestimating how much time is involved with them, AFTER you ignore the ones given for reaching specific level... like seriously... greatly, greatly overestimating it lol. how many players have a special skin for contributing something to the game aside from the level ones? maybe 5? 10? heck... let's say 50.
now let's say that each of those accounts required 5 minutes of GM time to choose and receive a skin... heck, let's say 10 minutes -- so let's say we're looking at 500 minutes of GM time over the course of 5 years.... that's 100 minutes per year. uh.... ok, let's still say that's a lot of time (though I certainly don't believe it to be) - what's it balanced out by? oh yeah, new content, large translations, maybe huge bug reports? all easily worth a few minutes of GM time during any given month 😜
Considering when that line is noted, 95% of special skin requests are off the table, the amount of work is considerably less.

The issue with the special skins was the idea that so many felt they were "entitled" to them by reaching a certain level, and would cheat to do so quite often.
The amount of work involved in those cases was the big problem, it's hinted at right in the very first post of the (now closed) request thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14865

I got news for every single one of you who thinks you should get a skin for obtaining a level - you really shouldn't, tbh.
When that part of the rule was implemented, it was because the only way to get to that level was by buying levels (or playing for several years).
This was meant to show gratitude towards those first players who bought a lot of levels, enabling the game to get stuff like the server upgrade, which benefited everyone.
That was before many of these high xp:hp mobs were in game, and before many of the OP pets were as well.
Thing was, as the game progressed, the rule never got updated - we didn't think it a big deal.
TBH, going by that old intention, the level bar should be no less than 5k now, but probably higher.
If I'm asked for an opinion on the new draft of the special skin rule, my vote will be for NO level gained skin.
But then again, I know things that you don't, so that statement is pretty empty.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
Nahgus

Post by Nahgus »

maybe in the end every 1 will realize that i really dont know wat im talking about
Ryaca_1 is retired
vasinta

Post by vasinta »

Anyway, under which storytelling motivation are players wearing monsters' skins, to begin with?
--
:popcorn: ardesia's other forum account
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

Nahgus wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 pm maybe in the end every 1 will realize that i really dont know wat im talking about
nah lol... read my older posts on the subject and you'll see that I agree with much of what you're saying (for whatever that's worth) - I'm just presenting here another side of the issue, as I felt it was being neglected in this thread ;)
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

vasinta wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 pm Anyway, under which storytelling motivation are players wearing monsters' skins, to begin with?
AHHHH... role-playing - I wish this was more a part of the game than we make it 👍
⬜ 💣 🌏
Leone

Post by Leone »

Yes from a rpg perspective it would be good to revisit the orc vs human war.

The answer? Get on and write it instead of relying on others (pep talk to myself)
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

@mad - 5000+ probably higher - I definitely agree with that... especially the "higher" part.

as you say, 1500 was probably literally impossible without buying most of them back then... with pets, gear, sheer amount of time, the increased rate of gaining levels due to the xp cap etc.... I'd guess (with no work at all aside from literally guessing lol) I'd say it's maybe 10 times as easy to level now ... so IF reaching a specific level was grounds for receiving a special skin now, maybe level 15,000 would be the new number?

anyway, I AM NOT saying this as a recommendation for GMs to consider or anything like that - it's just my thought on how "unspecial" level 1500 is now (not to say it isn't a great gaming achievement, because it is IMHO, but it's hardly "special" anymore)

anyway, there's 2 more of my cents 😜
⬜ 💣 🌏
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

Leone wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm Yes from a rpg perspective it would be good to revisit the orc vs human war.

The answer? Get on and write it instead of relying on others (pep talk to myself)
LoL 👍
⬜ 💣 🌏