PvP Appeal

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

SellSword

PvP Appeal

Post by SellSword »

This may be an odd question, but would anyone like to explain the appeal of PvP in FT?

My thought is that the mechanics, graphics, speed, and limited skills make for a rather poor game to fight each other. I've played many fighting/competitive games with my brothers and friends over the years and enjoyed the battles, but those games were designed for that purpose and seemed to have more to offer. If that's the type of game one really enjoys it seems like there are better options, in my opinion.

Is it the history you can have with other players? The uncertainty if/when it will come up? Power imbalances? Only like clan or non-clan PvP? Etc.

I'm down as a non-participant myself, but I would genuinely like to hear any input others would be willing to share. :)
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
blitzcraig

Re: PvP Appeal

Post by blitzcraig »

This is a really interesting thought - and well stated

There are several different answers I'm sure... I will throw out a few to get us started

1> Many people do not have the means to play those games that are better suited for PvP... plenty of possibilities, one being that the hardware requirements for FT are spectacularly low (seriously, compbatant deserves a lot of credit for this) - that cannot be said for most games

2> there are several types of PvP players - one type in particular seems to abound in FT... GRIEFERS. They get their gaming enjoyment from making other players unhappy. Yes, I genuinely dislike these people. Yes, I said "people" instead of "players" because not only do I dislike the way they play, I actually dislike them as humans... Truth be told, this was one factor that led me to leave the GM team, and possibly the single biggest reason I've never asked to rejoin the team - I don't like these people, but I also understand that they make up a large group in the gaming world. I think many are especially drawn to FT because of the lenient, caring staff; and also the opportunity to exploit bugs and glitches to irritate others.

3> clan life gives a sense of teamwork and belonging, so PvP is maybe byproduct of fulfilling those needs for some players

4> variety/excitement - some players genuinely like to be surprised, which does not happen much outside of a few quests in games based on grinding like FT

those are a few thoughts for now ;)
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

blitzcraig wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am This is a really interesting thought - and well stated

There are several different answers I'm sure... I will throw out a few to get us started

1> {snip}

2> there are several types of PvP players - one type in particular seems to abound in FT... GRIEFERS. They get their gaming enjoyment from making other players unhappy. Yes, I genuinely dislike these people. Yes, I said "people" instead of "players" because not only do I dislike the way they play, I actually dislike them as humans... Truth be told, this was one factor that led me to leave the GM team, and possibly the single biggest reason I've never asked to rejoin the team - I don't like these people, but I also understand that they make up a large group in the gaming world. I think many are especially drawn to FT because of the lenient, caring staff; and also the opportunity to exploit bugs and glitches to irritate others.

3> {snip}

4> {snip}

those are a few thoughts for now ;)
Then we need a GM staff with a "carte blanche".
Or if you prefer an FT-007, Dirty Harry, Judge Dredd type GM staff with VERY STIFF punishments for people that break the rules they "MUST" agree in order to login.

Please excuse me for {snipping} the other points, but the game is dying because of this.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Leone

Post by Leone »

To add to blitz's points- I suspect that for some players that have reached certain levels, grinding becomes too time consuming, quests are done extremely quickly and so PvP is possibly the only aspect of the game that maintains enjoyment.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Leone wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:39 pm To add to blitz's points- I suspect that for some players that have reached certain levels, grinding becomes too time consuming, quests are done extremely quickly and so PvP is possibly the only aspect of the game that maintains enjoyment.
Well, when you "buy" 15000 levels - YEA! I can see that.
But then they have to join a clan to kill anyone because there is no one else that high.
I am always AFK!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

LostKnight wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm Well, when you "buy" 15000 levels - YEA! I can see that.
But then they have to join a clan to kill anyone because there is no one else that high.
Go become a professional outlaw hunter? :twisted:
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

SellSword wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 am
LostKnight wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm Well, when you "buy" 15000 levels - YEA! I can see that.
Go become a professional outlaw hunter? :twisted:
I can hear the music and see the card now!
→ The Card: Show
Have_LVL_Will_Travel.jpg
Well, OK, a reasonable facsimile, because I can't spell: CellSord :lol: :lol:
We now return you to the topic at hand.
I am always AFK!
hungry_wolf

Post by hungry_wolf »

the real prob with pvp is that depends mostly on level , skills and abilities are almost nothing
Sword dislike sieging - hungrywolf
Dwarf dislike mining - tarvos
Archer dislike crafting - matcauthon
Ogre dislike fishing - heimdall
Mage dislike magic - ogonbat

Member of Ignobili of Ft

Duke of dead clan FTFR