Halloween- King Fear and the Night of Blood Lust!

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

Re: Halloween- King Fear and the Night of Blood Lust!

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Four- The Blood Moon Rises- King Fear

King Fear, the originator of this plan to take advantage of this evil night, felt also as if he was being carried along and had only been a pawn in another’s’ plans. He the King of fear, a very human and human type monster attribute, found himself its prisoner. So often any fear he felt in the past he turned to rage and evil actions neutralizing its grip and using it to heighten his ability. But not so today. He was a student again. He recalled his instruction under Lord Phobeomai and Lord Skotos, Lords of Fear and Darkness, and how his study was more out of self-preservation than a willing attitude. Today he sought only to survive; he was but a novice in the presence of evil and fear beyond his ability to withstand.
The realm he ruled, being more cognitive of the nuances of change each moment of the rising blood moon brought, was the next to transform. The beasts could not resist, but his charges even though in theory were prepared to embrace willingly this powerful evil shrunk back instead. The evil they knew before was like a fire contained within a fire ring but this was a forest fire, a wild fire, threatening to consume all in its path.

The orcs were the first to react. They had planned to swarm, but generally were an unorganized lot, the rising blood moon though had them exiting their dungeons as if one orc! When they reached a habitation they attacked wildly overcome by a beserker energy with strength beyond their own and a blood thirsty foment to kill all in their path. The ogres did the same. The men more clever used the cover of darkness to arrive by stealth to spring an attack upon the unsuspecting. Overcome by a taste for blood they would drain many of their captives and store the blood in their leather drinking skins to drink in their travels. It was as if the blood moon constantly beckoned to them “fill up my magnificence!” and “spill blood, drain blood, drink blood” rendering an insatiable desire that only killing could alieve. Drinking satisfaction only lasted a short time though for when gazing up at the blood moon again the thirst returned. The fairies used to killing at a great distance found themselves drawn to the death they caused and would hover licking up blood or sucking blood from wounds. As they did this the veins in their wings turned red like the moon. And like lunar moths they longed to fly higher and higher to be united with the blood moon. But the effort spent would drain the red from their wings and they would return yet again to find another victim.

The dwarves were the worst followed closely by the freyas. Their hate and evil was unbounded. Maybe it was their disposition to fury that affected them so but killing was not enough for them. Once their axe found its mark it would continue on and on and on severing the dead into several pieces. The blood moon transformed their tongues into something resembling leather and licking their axe blade clean of blood it re-sharpened the blade for its next fury. It seemed also their run skill was heightened as once they targeted someone there were very few who could escape their pursuit. They became bloody messes covered from head to toe in blood, the freya’s golden locks matted and made auburn from the blood.

Yet, if all the terrors from the beasts were not enough, and all the betrayal of the humans upon their own kind, and the human types with cunning and evil attacking, the usual evil monsters of FT had not even begun to make a move! Oh the utter terror of this night! Like waking not once, or twice, but soon three times from a nightmare only to realize it all was a reality. No hope seemed to be coming, no recourse for the weary FTers who had survived these first two waves. A few had heard of a sword and of some heroes but up to this point they had not appeared. But perhaps all hope was not gone yet, it had been like a curious child disturbing a hornets nest. The events had unfolded so rapidly and painfully but now was not the time to stand there studying the hornets! The time was to escape to safety and avoid the stings! The things Lysa and Dagan had seen scared them, sickened them, enraged them, sorrowed them, made them doubt, made them run, made them guilty, made them resolved, made them ready to attempt to face the third wave of evil’s night of blood. If any hope did remain now was its last chance.

This is part 5 of 11. Tomorrow, The Blood Moon Rises- King Corpse!
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Five- The Blood Moon Rises- King Corpse

King corpse laughed at his so called Evil King adversaries. They did not really know evil as he did. The blood moon rising for him was but a boost in his evil desire and if anything made him more adept at this contest of evil. King Fear was weak and his humankind were weak. Men were unreliable one day devoted to an evil cause and liable to switch the next to a noble one. The orcs were the only ones inclined toward the purest evil he surmised but were willful and dim witted. The ogres needed very little prompting to stir their inner instinct to be man eaters. The fairies were for fairies. Maybe it was their size compared with the power they possessed but they always felt they had something to prove, if you call that evil maybe it was. No, King Fear would not be much of a contestant. King Scorpion was even worse he thought. All his beasts were not evil at all but simply did what their nature made them do, to feed on prey to live. No, his evil counterparts did not understand evil but he did! His were the undead and past feeling and past remorse and intent upon evil’s plan did not waver from it. This night was their night! The skeletons sought revenge for their deaths, the blood mummies aptly called sought only to spill it, the zombies craved human flesh and there was nothing that could deter them from it. The ghosts in their hideouts sought to seek the life force of all the living, and the vampires accustomed to the night swarmed through the darkness slashing and impaling their quarry draining their blood from their bodies before death. No, evil was uncomplicated, and single minded, it would have its day.

The devils under his rule were a different subject altogether, it was more of a co-operation than a King/subject relationship. It bothered him. The devils were very quiet and seemingly unmotivated to join in the carnage. Perhaps evil had its plans yet to be revealed. It was frustrating to him as this delay he thought might endanger his winning of this blood lust contest. Evil’s dominion for him would only be satisfying if he won! King Fear and King Scorpion would feel victorious just to have survived the night and been witnesses to the evil running over the land unhindered!

More about the devils later but at this point we must point out some of the reasons for their ambiguity. First, evil in its terrors was so familiar to them nothing shocked or surprised them, it was the air in which they lived. And secondly, the devils were pragmatic, it is like drinking a bottle of fine wine, you could drink it all in one sitting or you can savor it over many sittings. They were worried. They considered what these meddling Kings invoking the evil power of the Blood Moon might mean. It might possibly mean the death of all non-evil aligned beings, the inhabitants and travelers of FT gone! Pragmatic yes, it was from these they extracted rare items and massive amounts of gold. Every well-dressed devil knows you need money to affect the portals of power. With these all gone this boon would end but beyond that a much bigger picture, namely what value is an evil empire if there are no longer agents of good to battle with? Evil becomes undefinable without the contrast of what is good. This must not happen! Blood moon or not, invocation of evil or not, their whole reason for existence in FT hung precariously over a precipice maybe ever to elude their grasp. Evil would win but somehow good must remain.

This is part 6 of 11. Tomorrow Chapter 6 "Twin Lights in the Darkness"
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Six- Twin Lights in the Darkness

D- Lysa even though that red moon is rising it seems like it gives no light.
L- Yes Dagan it is as if the darkness is independent of the light…
D- Like it is more of a fog or a mist that covers and obscures but you can also feel its presence.
L- I don’t much care for it, how will we ever find anyone or anything?
D- Let’s put this sword to the test (he lifts it up and to his amazement a bright circle of light envelops them)
L- Wow! That’s good; I can see quite a distance now
D- Did you hear it though?
L- What brother?
D- I swear I heard it growl in defiance as it retreated, as if it was a living thing…
L- I did, I thought it your stomach brother….I suspect what we will see this night may be different than what night usually brings
D- Yes, I feel as if the darkness now waits to pounce upon us at any moment just clawing anxiously at the edges of this light.
L- Maybe we ought not to think about it too much!
D- Agreed, lets head toward the nearest town and see what aid we can lend
L- Lead on…
D- You may hold the sword, you are as skillful as I, maybe more so..
L- No Dagan go ahead but I will be ready to catch the sword if an attack comes, just toss it to me
D- Ok Lysa, off we go!

(Nearing Kedington)

L- Oh, oh…oh…put it out!!! (It seems laying everywhere were dead villagers and travelers many in various stages of having been eaten, missing limbs and faces, and their rib cages laid bare and the tender insides gone having been gorged upon)
D- No Lysa….we must face evil not flee from it or hide from it.
L- Oh these poor villagers….I see no weapons by their sides…they were overcome in haste…
D- Perhaps some escaped to these buildings we must search..
(they looked and indeed found a few still intact though their wits being intact was doubtful)

The light of the sword seemed to have a calming effect upon them and Dagan was able to piece together what had occurred. First all the animals had gone wild and were physically transformed and swarms of spiders draining and spinning webs, and when that hoard not intent it seems on staying in one place had moved on north a second wave came of men, and orcs, and ogres, and dwarves all seemingly possessed with violence. And the blood…the drinking of blood…at this these survivors became silent once again withdrawing into themselves. They had seen too much, friends and family were gone devoured before their very eyes.

D- Lysa, we must find some sanctuary for these people, but where? I wish the council had given us more direction.
L- I know this may sound crazy but ask the sword!
D- You ask Lysa, no one can refuse you!
L- (half smiling and half perturbed she does ask) Tell me sword where safely we may lead these people. Hmm…nothing…wave it or something Dagan…(he does) nothing…(he tries striking the ground with it and interestingly a wave of energy of sorts shoots out in every direction)
D- That was interesting …but what does it do?
(they were soon to find out, but this particular pulse was detected by another survivor whom they hadn’t yet found and he appeared within the lighted circle of the sword)
Survivor- I felt compelled to come here I felt like a wind brush upon me
L- The smiting of the sword Dagan! And sir can you tell us of what happened to any other survivors?
Survivor- Yes I saw it all…to my shame…I ran and hid…oh….OH!....
L- Friend this is an evil night you were right in fleeing its bane, now please tell us
Survivor- A group was not killed but surrounded by a swarm of skeletons and carried below in their dungeon, for what heinous and evil reason I can only surmise…oh OH….my friends!
L- Please, we are here to help and our sword is magic, the more we know the more we can do
Survivor- Sorry…yes…some I heard saying they were heading to the strongholds of Martek and Silverwood. Oh such a distance from here…I don’t see how…oh dear Oh Dear….
L- Anything else? And I will let you rest with the others friend…
Survivor- I heard one rather outlaw type say he knew a safe and secure place and was headed there…he mumbled something about a friendly devil…though I assumed he had lost his mind…
L- And where was this place?
Survivor- He said why should he tell me? On a normal day he would have sought to kill me, but being in haste he left me only this hint, ‘it was amazing”.
D- And he headed which direction?
Survivor- North…north…is anywhere safe….
D- (to Lysa) Sister he said it was amazing
L- Yes, it can only be…
D & L- The Weisstein Maze! (upon this announcement) The sword is vibrating!

(a hoard of skeletons approached and this little interlude was over)

D- Here Lysa…(tossing her the sword she swung at them)
The skeletons fell before her easily with every swing. The sword was very light and just getting close to them stunned them to the ground.
D- We better get moving (he got everyone up and ready to move)
L- Here comes another group of skeletons..
(at this the sword seemed to have a mind of its own. At first Dagan fought the impulse but then he recalled the words of the high council leader that it was alive and would learn so he yielded to its leading) (soon he was waving the sword above his head in a circular motion and around the group a bubble of force and light appeared. As they walked it moved with them and any skeleton touching it fell over stunned. The hoard didn’t seem to care for either the light or the force and dissipated quickly)
D- That was amazing….now we can have safe passage to that refuge
L- But dare we trust this story from an outlaw?
D- You asked the sword for direction and then this man appeared with just the information we needed.
L- Yes, you are right…and I was getting mad at the sword for not speaking! Sometimes the most unlikely sources can be of help, sort of like me and you!
D- Yes Lysa I agree, we must do one more thing before we head to the maze…
L- Yes , I agree we must see what these skeletons in their dungeon are up to!
D- Exactly! If survivors exist we must try to free them

The Skeleton Dungeon Rescue
Lysa and Dagan carefully crept down into the dungeon to be met by the sound of moaning and torment from the opposite side. When they went down and circled the bottom to come up they were met with a sight they would not soon forget. This night would provide many such captivating and petrifying moments. Coming into view were vast vats full of blood and nearby a group of frightened and huddled villagers. Further up were skeletons doing a sort of macabre toast to each other and though having no way to enjoy the blood were holding up flagons of it and quaffing it like pints at a bar. The scene was too much to bear as the blood with nowhere to go but down dripped off their bony jaws and down their spine and over their rib cage ending up as a growing pool beneath their feet. As Dagan unsheathed his sword the hoard dripping with blood and armed only with flagons descended upon our heroes. At first he tried to swing but so many came at once, but yielding to the magic swords directions instead he swung down striking the ground sending a shock wave pushing back the skeletons to the very top of the dungeon. They seemed stunned and disoriented so going to the survivors Lysa opened the enclosure they were in and leading them across piles of bones and mounds of corpses led them to Dagan with the sword. Dagan waved the sword in a circle creating again a magic bubble and they safely were able to exit though it was obvious not all had been stunned and once out of the dungeon it would not be long until they were in pursuit.
L- Come every one gather together! (the old group of survivors met this new group and offering what comfort they could re-assured them they were going to a place of safety) Redo the circle again Dagan! I hope it will grow with us…
D- We will find out Lysa just what the bounds of this magic sword are! (He again waved it in a circle and the magic bubble reformed big enough to cover all) So far so good, let’s see how fast we can move in this thing. Stay together folks and we travel north, follow me!
They began their escape and hearing a tumult saw a hoard of skeletons had already revived!
Crowd- We are doomed! Oh NO!! How ever shall we escape!
L- Take courage and watch! Our magic bubble will not fail us! (She tried not to give away the fact she had her own doubts now that they were such a large group)
D- The bubble holds! (as he said this part of the hoard lay stunned and the others as before ran back down into their dungeon lair) Let us move! And not only that, it appears this bubble will allow us a good pace as well. (to the crowd) Soon we shall be safe! (He only partly believed this as anything to do with a devil, friendly or not, was a dangerous proposition!)

This is 7 of 11 parts. Tomorrow Chapter 7- The Amazing Place
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Seven- The Amazing Place

The magic bubble worked well all the way to the Weisstein maze entrance. Packs of extra wild crazed lions after a few attempts at attack ran off. Both Dagan and Lysa noticed that all these attacks, though violent and large, lasted only a short time. Perhaps this was a flaw in the blood moons’ bane, if the blood lust was not immediately appeased it lost focus and went elsewhere seeking to assuage its hunger and thirst. Even the more mighty southern mushies and worms could not disturb the bubble though the worms, hideous on the best of days, were unnerving baring their teeth and lunging and rolling repeatedly at the bubble. It took several stuns from the force of the bubble for them to move off.

As they neared the stairs downward there was a heightened nervousness upon all our travelers, if this refuge was not as described where would they go? And Dagan and Lysa were worried if this story were untrue their efforts at rescue would be ended as all would need to stay under the magic bubble for prolonged safety until this horrific night ended. There by the entrance was a solitary figure beckoning to them to approach….a dark devil!! Was this the friendly devil talked about? Or was this some devilish deception that would end in all their deaths? With no monsters in sight Dagan released the bubble and without drawing attention to himself handed the sword to Lysa just in case…you know….a devil on evil’s night acting not evil!?!

DD- (Dark Devil) Welcome travelers…or should I say survivors….you are to be commended for making it here.
D- And just what is here to be?
DD- Your refuge until this evil night passes
L- And how do we know you, a devil, can be trusted, or that we can believe you who always practice evil now stand in its way?
DD- These are good questions….
D- And what are the good answers?
DD- We have our reasons that is all you must know
L- What is beyond those stairs?
DD- Your protection…
D- Yes, but how? This maze is not a safe place on a normal day!
DD- Oh, we have guides such as myself before and after each portal which will guide you all to the Weisstein anteroom. No one is allowed into the Weisstein room even our kind.
L- And how will you care for these travelers?
DD- Many already have found refuge here, we have food and water and plenty of room for many.
D- Wait! The anteroom is not that big!
DD- You survivors are an odd bunch! We offer you the only hope of safety and you are only full of questions….if we intended you evil we would attack and be done with it! If I were not commissioned to aid you I would not have listened to all your complaining!
L- Must I use this sword upon you? Answer!
DD- Very well, inside the anteroom are doors to some vast underground expanses suitable for a vast multitude…..these are known to us from old time but are not seen to the traveler but remain hidden and secret within that room.
D- (Dagan to Lysa quiety) Do we trust him? Once down those stairs we are captives, to the good or bad we will be at their mercy.
L- Wait, let the sword tell us!
D- How did I forget…lift it towards our devilish guide
L- (Lysa lifts it expecting something to occur) Well…..nothing!
D- Ah! But nothing is something!
L- What?...oh wait….I see….if this devil had been an evil foe the sword would have vibrated that an evil enemy was near.
D- But it didn’t, not once since we have been standing here.
L- Then we really have no choice..
D- (to the crowd) For reasons we do not yet know these devils have determined to help us survive this evil night, Lysa will lead and please carefully go down the stairs. I will take up the rear keeping the sword in case some monsters appear before we all can enter.

As promised this group is led safely through the maze. The devils had neutralized somehow all the threats along the way. It was indeed as the devil described rooms with many other survivors resting and eating and taking notice of who was or wasn’t there that they had known.

D- (To devil administrator [DA] in the anteroom) We must now return to the surface and see if we might find other survivors to bring to safety.
DA- I do not recommend such a foolhardy venture
D- So we are your prisoners not your guests?
DA- No, not at all, anyone may leave if they want, but we have sent out devil messengers to most areas with populace as we did at Kedington. This is how so many gathered here before your arrival.
L- Brother we dare not rest now in our mission, the night is only half done
D- Yes you are right perhaps we should look though for other captives like those we freed in the skeleton dungeon in other evil dens
L- Yes we must, if these devils were wholly concerned about protecting the villager and traveler in FT they too would be fighting and freeing the enslaved.
D- Yes, this is a token really, offering help to those who can help themselves and find their way here. I wonder if it is only to cull out the weak and keep the strong. Besides messengers he said not armies or rescuers.
L- We must not trust them, they would not tell us their motives!
D- Agreed! When this night ends we may have to fight our way out of here!
D- (to DA) Thank you for your warning but we must see who else may need our help.
DA- Very well, leave whenever you wish, the same guides who led you in will lead you out.

This is part 8 of 11. Tommorow part 9- From the Dark of Night into the Darkness of Evil Lairs.
Retired
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

One unexpected benefit to this story is that I now know where Creedence Clearwater Revival got inspiration for their "Bad Moon Rising" song. Perhaps the members just sheltered in the weisstein area? Perhaps that will be addressed in an epilogue? Perhaps indeed! :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Cracking song and a cracking tale!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

CCR was a part of this, or at least knows the tales end.

I stay in :D
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I haven't been killed off in the story yet, at least by name! I think I would have died though by tripping and falling down the stairs of my house trying to help someone. The perils of having a two-story house in FT though... :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

I can imagine Sell and LK sitting on the porch drinking coffee letting the action pass them by...

Bother me tomorrow, today I'll buy no sorrows
Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door ;)
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Pass the sugar please Sell.

Look a bright light to the NNW. There, on the horizon.
The walls and gates of Ardesia are holding their own.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.