Halloween- King Fear and the Night of Blood Lust!

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Introduction
Halloween is nearly upon us! Though for us it may end in a bag of treats, this story is full of tricks. You may ask how is it I want to thrust Halloween into this FT setting seeing it is a rather modern invention in the lives of those of us in real life? Good question, but I might point out back how is it Santa is in FT? There is and always will be a mysterious bridge between the real and the pixel world and so we attempt to bring to you how that at least once in FT history Halloween made a notable appearance. It is indeed full of nasty tricks this story, but we hope by the end you may find a treat or two, but don’t look for many! You soon will understand why.

A technical note: Imagine as I do for this story FT as a living breathing reality untethered from what ‘rules’ usually govern its operation.

Prologue
A great contest was upon FT such as had never been seen and was likely never to come again. King Fear, King Corpse, and King Scorpion united in their hatred of the realm, were ever in competition to be the most wicked, most cruel, and most destructive. United feasts together were comprised of extravagant claims, whether true or not, and caustic lambasting of each other. But the omens were there, the configuration of celestial events and past and future history pointed to a night when evil could arise to its zenith. Planewalkers and timewalkers had seen the future how a day of evil had gripped all lands. It had begun as a costumed celebration of the righteous dead, but the unrighteous and unholy and unnatural had overtaken it. All looked to this night as a night of witches and goblins, and the undead of all kinds, and lycanthropy, and blood sucking hoards, and mindless zombies consuming human flesh, and demons roaming the streets and lanes unhindered and welcomed. It was the day of evil accepted in all its forms if but only for a night. The calendar day of its observance for the future applied here had caused even these evil kings to pause in their attempts to mock each other and with excitement envision a day of carnage they had never yet seen. The readers of signs, the star gazers and planet watchers, the keepers of times and seasons, and moon phase and moon tides all declared the same, this year, that night of evil in future times would find its greatest expression here and now!! The unifying discovery was the assured appearance of a blood moon on that night! To the unlearned it was merely a reddened orb in the night sky but to these it meant but one thing, a supreme night of evil unhindered and a heightened blood lust by all those who practice it. Out of this arose a great contest between these kings a challenge measured in blood! The challenge put forth by King Fear was thus, they had but one night to do as much carnage and drain as much blood as they could. At the time of this happening it must be noted FT had night and day in accordance with the seasons. It was not this 4 hour cycle the gods of time have decreed FT must now be under. This night time of evil would be more than half of a day, 11 hours of day and 13 hours of night! The vast majority of the neutral and good dwellers in FT had no clue what was to be unleashed. They had known evil before but it always had its bounds. They would not be prepared for every barrier to be lifted. The truth be known even these evil kings and all the prognosticators had no understanding of how once evil was released how utterly captivating it would be for them and how heinous and deadly their acts would be. Time was running short and each king sought to put their hoards upon alert to be ready to swarm forth upon the populace. For those unfamiliar with our tale in which we previously saw King Fear we remind you of what dominions each king had and what forces they sought to prepare. King Fear ruled over men, dwarves, ogres, orcs, and fairies. King Scorpion ruled over spiders, and all the beasts. King Corpse ruled over all the undead and the devils (if they ever could be ruled over!)

Elsewhere in FT
Not everyone was unaware of the blood moon falling on this already ripened for evil night. The order of mages that gave us Ascanius had their own readers of signs and omens. They were supremely troubled by the prospects and immediately put their best crafters of magical items to work on something that could counteract it. Such things had never been fashioned before and after much discussion they were to attempt to make a sword that in type had never before existed. It would cost their most rare and expensive resources to make it and even pooling their vast wealth just one such sword would be possible to craft. But who could wield it? The mages themselves dare not for it requires someone who cannot be corrupted and who is non magical. For a magic user the temptation to use such a magic sword for one’s own benefit would just be too strong. Instead of fighting the evil night they would be swallowed up in their own greed and succumb to the blood moon’s hypnotic bane. The only hope of any defense against this night of terror was to find, and find quickly, one to whom this sword could be entrusted.

Sometimes the gods behind the scenes so orchestrate events that to us they appear merely as chance. If you recall these gods were pledged to neutrality in FT affairs by any direct intervention. It was to be the battleground of the weak and their own efforts to the ill or the good would render how the history of FT would go. But sometimes by signs, or by the slight twisting of meetings or weather (or resets!) the normal passage of time is so delayed so that a chance meeting is most likely to occur. Such a chance happened right away where not one but two candidates for this sword arose! They were Lysa (lie-sah) and Dagan (day-gan) twin sister and brother. Lysa older by minutes constantly reminded Dagan of this but he took it well. They were a fine pair, twins in all the ways that counted. They were known to be possessors of courage and wisdom but most of all their honesty and purity of heart. Yet they were the most unlikely of candidates, no pedigree of parentage, no great deeds done, no leaders among men, just humble inhabitants of Ashdown Village. In those days they did not have pirate raids but they both dispatched orcs who wandered up from their nearby dungeon. It was during one of these infrequent forays a traveling mage of Ascanius’ order witnessed them defending their village. When he learned their names it was yet another sign undeniable! Lysa meant ‘the illumination of dawn’ and Dagan ‘the arrival of dawn’! Light is what was needed if there was any hope of surviving the impending night of terror. We pick up the story as these two meet with the mage council and are both given their charge and also this untried and untested magical sword.

This is an 11 part story so check in everyday!
Retired
SellSword

Re: Halloween- King Fear and the Night of Blood Lust!

Post by SellSword »

Yes! I am quite excited for all of this story!
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Many heroes hail from Ashdown Village. Have we just been introduced to the next two?
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter One- The Twin Dilemma

The high council of mages came to order to both charge and enlighten to the best of their ability what they thought this night might bring and what good might be attempted with the priceless magical sword. It must be noted the decision of this council had not been unanimous. Two of the six were opposed to the venture, one was against the wasting of their resources on a weapon that might not do anything but glisten impressively, and two a mage who insisted omens had come and gone before without such dire results for the land as their running wild imaginations had constructed.

Here are our characters

HC- High Council leader
HM- High Council mage opposed to expense
HE- High Council mage who thought evil potential exaggerated
L- Lysa
D- Dagan

HC- Come here Lysa and Dagan (they approach) do you understand what is at risk and what you are charged to do?
D- (Lysa nodding to Dagan) Yes, as far as what we were told by the mage who found us. An evil night approaches like never before seen, but a weapon was made that might help the land, and that certain portents seem to indicate Lysa and I are to take the sword and do what we can to battle this evil.
HC- Well said, let me explain it more fully.
HE- (interrupting) Oh please, must we continue to propagate this fantasy!
HM- And the expense, can we trust these two youngsters not to lose the sword and our investment be in vain?
HC- (angrily raising his voice) You two have had your say and the council has voted on it!
HE- Old men afraid of their shadow and willing to believe any new thing without discernment!
HM- Yes, and some so impulsive that in one moment nearly all our wealth and position as mages of the first order is thrown out to fashion a trinket that may fail or worse yet never have been needed!
L- Your honors, please do not argue so. Whether it is so or not I cannot tell but this I am assured if it is true then all will be needed, but if it is not true be assured we will not lose this wondrous sword!
D- Yes, please if this is as you suspect we must be one in this venture for I am sure evil will not be divided in its pursuit!
HC- (beaming and waving his hands to the rest of the council) Listen to these two! Does any doubt now that the portents have chosen wisely? (he pauses but no one speaks) Very well, now my brave youth I will tell you all that we know of this matter.
On the last day of the tenth month, known in ages and places to come as a day of celebration of evil, it will be combining here with a blood moon rising on that night. It is a most rare configuration and we believe will somehow multiply evil’s influence on that night. Some of our authorities on these things believe it will be an evil night that perhaps will never be repeated and will have a magnitude never witnessed before.
D- It sounds like a most hopeless prospect…
L- But still what can occur if limited to but a single night?
HC- Ah, my young heroes that is where you are mistaken. It is not hopeless, and you ask is it long enough to do any real harm? It is possible in one night this whole realm is swallowed up in evil never again to be neutral and impossible ever to be good. While we plan to try to stop it or lessen its evil destruction, the forces of evil embrace this night with full dedication to see it have its full sway. Our spies tell us even now King Fear, King Corpse, and King Scorpion prepare to swarm the land when this evil blood moon arises. They have expectation of an evil night; we must not stand back supposing it will simply pass!
HE- Heresy! As if anything can overcome this council of mages! One night? Just ridiculous!
HM- What is really ridiculous is we already have weakened our influence by liquidating our assets! That’s what we should be worried about!
L- Oh noble council, it seems to me if this night is as described there won’t be anyone left to influence!
D- And oh council, it seems to me if you continue to argue this council is already overcome from within!
HC- Well said again you two!
L- But your honors how can we fight this?
D- Yes, the sword, though wondrous, is but one and can only do a bit here and there, but this evil if I understand will arise everywhere at once.
HC- To be quite honest we do not know, but we trust in the portents and our choice to fashion this sword.
D- So this is a try and see mission?
L- We will have each other brother…
HC- And that is part of it my brave heroes, your unity of heart and purpose is a weapon in itself. But here is what we know of your sword.
First, it will vibrate when evil beings approach. Secondly, it will of course cut like a sword but with this difference. We believe with one swing it will stun any opponents dropping them to the ground. So you will not have to battle long to defeat a group of evil against you. And thirdly, it glows in dark places and will illuminate the way. It is a magic sword and in a way is alive and will learn and adapt as you go so it may do much more than we now know.
D- That is good to know, but what are we to do?
L- Yes, do we wait for evil to come or is there a goal, a place or person or persons, or is it simply to do what we can and survive the night?
HE- Oh really! The night will pass and dawn will come just like any other dawn and the only harm will be your regret for not having peacefully slept through the night!
HM- And all at our expense!
HC- Yes the dawn will come but we are sending the dawn ahead early against this night in the person of these two!
L- We will do our best.
D- Yes, your honors we will do all we can.
HC- It is well, that is all we can ask of you. My counsel is this, and is twofold. One, visit places you know have many people as those will be the places the evil kings send their hoards, and two, visit the dungeons where these forces might be found in greater numbers gathered in one place.
HE- My counsel is find yourself a room in an inn or tavern and rest well!
HM- (opening his money bag) And here take the last of our gold coins and pay for your lodging…and have breakfast on us!
HC- And finally my young heroes keep your eyes and ears open to anything unusual. You know not what you may find so try the sword when challenges arise no matter what they are.
L- Farewell, tonight is the night of our destiny, we will not fail!
D- What she said!

This is part 2 of 11. Next time chapter 2 Evil Preparations
Last edited by Gullander on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Just got up will read during breakfast, off to make it.

EDIT: I know I replied to the first - must have only hit [Preview].

Breakfast took a while, wife was still in bed, read/write emails and other posts here and as ever these days; a demand by Sox to play.

Anyway. A great read Gull, so looking foreward to the next instalments.

I have faith that Lysa and Dagan shall prevail!

EDIT:
I have read "This is 7 of 11 parts." and wait for
Tomorrow Chapter 7- The Amazing Place

Content to edit here rather than spoil the flow of the tale!
What a READ!
Last edited by LostKnight on Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Two- Evil Preparations

KF- King Fear
KC- King Corpse
KS- King Scorpion

KF- How are the preparations going?
KC- We anticipate many corpses!
KS- My sting will be felt!
KF- Yah, yah, I mean specifically?
KC- My undead are ready..
KS- The spiders are ready, the beasts prepared..
KF- Okay, I know this is also a contest but do we want to totally overtake FT or not? If your plans are my plans we are wasting effort, if you go where I go we are wasting our evil resources.
(no response)
KF- Listen you two, I don’t like you, Corpse you repulse me and Scorpion who wants an overgrown insect as a friend! But we do all want evil to overtake everywhere, we can fight over who gets what after the good and innocent and neutrals’ blood is drained and life sucked out of them!
KS- Humankind are so repulsive, only two legs! How do you exist like that?
KC- They do make decent undead though, as I always say the best human is a dead human!
KF- Really!!!!
KS- Calm down….you humans are so nervous and spastic!
KC- And ugly! But that makes for more hideous undead!
KS- (chuckling evilly) We are with you Fear! At the moment at least….
KC- Yes, all in good taunting Fear….I’ll go first. My skeletons will swarm upon Kedington, the glowing skeletons will emerge at Silverwood, and the vampires will use the portal in the warlock castle and swarm Banktown. It’s hard to get the ghosts to leave their dungeons but they will be ready to attack those who seek refuge there. The devils are contrary but assure me they will get involved, if it is to their advantage.
KF- Excellent! And you Scorpion?
KS- My pharaoh spiders will come out of their dungeon and move north upon Ashdown, the red spiders upon Kedington, the Rainbow and Glowing upon Silverwood, and the dragons everywhere will be on the prowl. I have commanded that packs of wolves, and war dogs, and lions of all kind travel in large groups overcoming any resistance in their path.
KF- It is well. My Freyas will descend upon the ancient library and some will move towards Silverwood, my fairies will fly towards Brass Monkey joining with the huntresses, the blue Vlads will swarm Kings Garden and the club Stans will head north to Martek joining the black knights in the assault. My orcs and ogres will unite and swarm Ashdown.
KS- But my evil Kings we could do this all any day we had wished..
KC- Yes, how sure are we of this exact day?
KF- Blood begets blood, I am sure this night will be most fearsome!
(a sound is heard and two mages are dragged in before these three conspiring Kings. The two mages HM and HE from the mage council!)
KF- Let them through! Here are my spies, let’s see what they have to say.
HM- Oh King Fear, the fools have spent all to make a magic sword to combat this evil, so they think.
KF- Oh…well soon all will be ours…it is of no matter.
HE- And my King, in spite of my efforts to dissuade them from this conviction, that this will be the most evil night ever, they yet persist and have obtained two so called heroes.
HM- And the sword is most wondrous and endowed with unknown magical properties which no one may know what they may do.
KF- Hmm….and what of these heroes, only two?
HE- Yes, they believe them to be the results of certain omens, just youths really to whom the protection of this realm is given
KF- Ha, ha, ha! And they think this will stand against all our evil hoards released as one force endued with evil power by the blood moon’s rising?
HE- it seems crazy, but yes they do.
HM- Oh King I do have good news though, all their prognosticators agree with our assessment of the evil soon to be released, the sword and twins in my mind are but a desperate attempt to save face. The council can say they stood against this day proven by the costly sword produced while they hide away sending these two to their deaths!
KF- Hmmm…you say twins….they form a unity that multiplies,,,yet what are two against such a tumult! Tonight we compete in blood! The one with the most carnage wins!
KS- It sounds promising Fear, tonight is the night of blood!
KC- Yes, let blood lust be released!
KF- The day of our evil dominion is here! After tonight the few who survive will never oppose us again! Muhahaha!
KS- Aha, Aha, Muhahaha!
KC- Yes!! Muhahahaha!!!

So they are united for a night, can FT possibly survive such an assault? The inhabitants by and large have no clue what is coming, and our twins will be too busy to warn many, and if it takes place in its fullness even this evil trio of Kings might find their evil was no match for this blood moon evil set loose!

This is part 3 of 11 check in tomorrow for The Blood Moon Rises- King Scorpion
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Three- The Blood Moon Rises- King Scorpion

It all started with the howling! From across FT every dog, war dog, and wolf with one voice began howling. It rose and sunk in waves highlighted by ear piercing yelps and long and deep pain filled screeching, The blood moon began to ascend and so did these canine carnivores. Amid the howls came the cracking of bones and stretching of muscle, sinew, and flesh. They stood erect! An army of bloody werewolves with razor sharpened claws and pointed teeth ready for but one thing the rapid shredding of any prey to pulp. And the hunger! Oh the insatiable hunger! Sniffing the air they dispersed in many directions intent upon but one thing, blood must be shed, the taste of blood must not be denied.

King Scorpion heard of these things and smiling knew all was true, the blood moon would have its way. But what was this he felt, it was as if a long distance memory had arisen of its own accord. He felt fear, no the very air was filled with fear, a choking strangling sensation that stirred even this evil King to want to run, to hide, to escape, to even long for such as mortals seek, light and freedom. He felt small, very small, fragile and without strength, not a King but a pawn in some other rulers authority. He would not be giving orders tonight but he would be carried along in this evil rivers’ current, a river of blood.

The beasts seemed to have responded first to the blood moon rising. Perhaps having a warm blooded nature blood called unto blood and unlike men who are blood and spirit they could not fight it, they could not even attempt to reason with the evil power overtaking them. Soon overcome and transformed blood would beget blood, the warm blood of their natures would seek the warm blood of its prey. The docile sheep of Freya land hooves sharpened to razor sharp and their teeth accustomed to plants sharpened to rip and shred flesh. The white fleece of their coat became spotted with blood stains and it dripped down their jaws and flowed upon their bodies as they ran and attacked. They were a sight with bloodied hoofs and fleece clotted and clumped with bits of snarled flesh mixed in. It was the same for all hoofed animals they became violent with razor sharp hooves and grazed upon flesh for their fodder. The pigs were the most evil! Being omnivores they sharpened their desires for only meat. It did not matter dead or alive they gorged themselves. Farmers used to the pigs running free now found themselves running from them only to be cleverly herded to an awaiting hoard of pigs who with the blood moon rising had grown tremendous sharp tusks to impale their victim before eating them. There could be seen massive groups of killer bunnies on the rampage. Once the darlings of FT dwellers now overpowering inhabitants and nipping and clawing until either by exhaustion or suffocation they fell unconscious. It did not take long for them to pick a body clean to the bone crawling away with distended bellies gorged upon that which by nature was forbidden, the flesh of an FTer.

Even the birds were affected. The usual lone bird so often flying from west to east became a flock swooping down and pecking the eyes out of the unprepared villagers even carrying off the body to an uninhabited area to feast upon it. Even the chickens channeling some memory of ages of servitude and death at the inhabitants’ hands attacked with vehemence their former owners. The roosters crowed a new crow, one gurgling the blood of a kill, defiant and triumphant.

The spiders did not need much to change as they already were accustomed to injecting their prey and later after a bit of ripening sucking them dry. They were however evilly inspired to make web traps everywhere so in the darkness many fleeing villagers got stuck in them. Trapped all they could do is await their death and being sucked dry. If it can be said of any of these deaths this night this perhaps was the cruelest as they hung in fear filled sustained terror till their captor came.

Domestic bliss had turned to death’s kiss. The eve of relaxing to a night of terror. Life as the innocent and neutral had known was snuffed out in a moment and replaced with mourning and a great exodus to caves, to mounts, to the strongholds of Martek and Silverwood, to anywhere they might find an escape. But most of these were short lived as we shall see for evil’s night had bewitched more than the beasts familiar to our FT dwellers but also to the denizens of darkness that only the warriors and travelers in FT knew. Soon also they would join the blood lust. Even the human types would join, which in their panic these escapees had hoped would turn in kinship to their aid, but they were too accustomed to evil to switch at this late hour. All the visitors of FT even the evil and outlaw found themselves on the outside as these beasts came through. The blood lust had no acknowledgement of what side one was aligned to, all were their meat, and were their drink of blood.

This is number 4 of 11 parts, tommorow The Blood Moon Rises- King Fear
Retired
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

A good and dark read in the morning!
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Spectacular read....

5 we want Chapter 5
5 we want Chapter 5
5 we want Chapter 5
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Ashdown under siege.....AGAIN!

Great storyline!