Make the game more popular

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Ditto3000e

Post by Ditto3000e »

White mage wrote:I know this scenario only to well and I agree totally on your opinion!
true that WM.
~Smokey~

Re: Make the game more popular

Post by ~Smokey~ »

I agree with simon..although I do help noobs sometimes..only because I see them struggling and they dont ask for help...but like he said...if u do all quest or get tired of lvling...start a new character! no characters the same..I personally have one of each. archer lvl 21, swordsman lvl 15, mage lvl 32, an my main one the dwarf lv 51..so my point is theres always something to do or achieve if u want to an enjoy the game : )
Wizi IV

popularity

Post by Wizi IV »

Hi,
coming back to the post title...

I think clans or/and guilds would make the game way more playable, which drives to higher player numbers. As we all know pvp is fun. However the price is high for such fun (outlaw). I hope when clans come in it'll change. Clans wars and pacts would add a lot of thrill (known from other MMOs). I agree the game (however really awesome) may got bored. When u approach lvl 100, having 1million hp, 200 strenght you are almost immortal. Nothing is a challenge then and helping youngs can spoil their fun (I've notticed the youngers got used to get everything from others, and there is no thrill in achieving many things). So, coming back to meritum - RUN THE CLANS/GUILDS AT LAST!
foxxx35

Post by foxxx35 »

While I agree with much of Hollywood's post, I found myself thinking that, as someone who has played both the rpg and the mmo versions of the game, grinding alone can really get old. Even in the offline game, u accrue teammates to aid in your quest, so u aren't alone. I've leveled with ppl my level and have ran around with people triple my level or higher. It doesn't really lessen the value of the game to me at all. I mean ya, there are missions that there is no way I'd have been able to finish without a high level player to tank for me, but that's part of the community of the game. The problem is, like with your little dwarf "friend" who burned through the main game and then got bored and whined about it, when ppl rely overly on the high lvl players and don't discover anything for themselves. I personally don't feel bad accepting help because I know when I hit that level I'd be the same way. I'm not however going to hold someone's hand and walk them through the game.
james0070

Ideas to make the game more popular

Post by james0070 »

Ok these ideas may seem like common sense and the reason is that I am taking them from many games that have achieved a high level of popularity. Also, the power that these mods have along with their behavior and abuse is going to ruin your game.

1. Get rid of the outlaw thing, at least until it works correctly. Its broken. It doesn't work. People are exploiting it. There is a reason that most popular MMO's don't have this system. The players will regulate pvp themselves. If someone kills too many people, those people will gang up against the offender.

2. Regulate The mods and chat in more conventional ways.

3. Instead of allowing players to be muted, allow the supposedly offended players to turn off their own chat or ignore a persons chat - this is what the rest of the game world does. I've experienced in some cases that your moderators are unqualified to make decisions on the fly or examine evidence to determine if something such as muting is warranted. (read below)

Today was a perfect example. Several of us were chatting casually on the archer bandit map about what I don't recall. One of the players, spudman I believe, chatted the words "Tank spanker" or something like that. In reference to what I have no clue because he was chatting with someone else. Meanwhile, a mage level 87 named kawzee or kawzer who was running around stealing everyones kills spamming green flow spell immediately began scolding everyone in chat because apparently "spanker" is extremely offenseive to that person. I requested to know which word was offensive so spudman repeated "spanker" at which kawzer gasps again so we did confirm that was the apparent offensive word. I , while waiting for mana to recharge, did what probably 90% of anyone on the internet would do. I typed "stfu". OK, most people would have typed "STFU" but its too hard to use caps on my phone so I settled for lowercase.

OK so I could write 10 pages on every detail of this but to make a long story short, without any official notification or anything I eventually find myself being hounded by a mod DAHOBBIT (I was trying to get away from the crowd at the time because I kept lagging out...btw couldn't log in at all on wifi mode and kept getting logged off when near other players...we were chatting)

This DAHOBBIT guy apparently muted me and made me an outlaw for which reason thereafter the level 87 mage was repeatedly trying to kill me (I'm level 49) but couldn't due to obvious noobishness.

Mr. Creater, I gotta honestly say you are a great programmer and you have a good game going here but if this sort of stuff keeps up, no one is gonna take your game seriously or want to continue playing it . This supposed moderator is out of control. I repeat, OUT OF CONTROL. Even way back in AOL days 1995, STFU was considered clean....it doesn't have any curse in it LOL. Now, we are all internet users here so obviously we have all encountered that one odd ball that claims to want to protect their 5 year old kid or whatever and worries about language. But spanky???? and STFU???? seriously? Should 5 year olds be on smart phones to begin with???

The honest truth about this is that more people are gonna be offended by this one weirdo whining about whatever little thing offends them and that they can't chat freely...than the occasional oddball that gets offended from stuff like "spanky". I know most of the people reading this will agree as well. I COULD understand if someone was spamming hardcore obscenities and disgusting verbage or death threats or something more extreme, but none of that occurred here.

My point is that you have to look at your demographic. The demographic for this game or any game with actual chat should not be people who get offended by "STFU" or "spanky" or chat in general. If world of warcraft muted people and abused them in other ways for spanky and STFU, it never would have became popular. The allowed abuse by your obviously unqualified moderator - who was going off of one persons complaints..especially since that person was obviously the one pestering the rest of us by killstealing and ruining our conversation. I suggested to them that they move one map down and kill archers solo so that they don't steal our kills nor have to read our chat. The only reply was "i'm gonna tell a mod on you!!!" Really?

In any case for any game convention such as language, pvp or whatever, I highly suggest you look to what some of the games use that actually are popular. I am assuming you do want to make money with it and expand the game. Allowing mods to abuse and let other players abuse someone who's language they didn't approve of just isn't conventional. Feel free to try to look up the footage, it was at around 11 p.m. pacfic standard time. That Kawzer person needs to quit gaming and just go watch sesame street. Dahobbit shouldn't be a mod. period. These guys are gonna ruin your game.

Also just tried again I still can't log in using WIFI mode and the rest of it is very laggy.
Ditto3000e

Post by Ditto3000e »

james0070 wrote:Ok these ideas may seem like common sense and the reason is that I am taking them from many games that have achieved a high level of popularity. Also, the power that these mods have along with their behavior and abuse is going to ruin your game.

1. Get rid of the outlaw thing, at least until it works correctly. Its broken. It doesn't work. People are exploiting it. There is a reason that most popular MMO's don't have this system. The players will regulate pvp themselves. If someone kills too many people, those people will gang up against the offender.

2. Regulate The mods and chat in more conventional ways.

3. Instead of allowing players to be muted, allow the supposedly offended players to turn off their own chat or ignore a persons chat - this is what the rest of the game world does. I've experienced in some cases that your moderators are unqualified to make decisions on the fly or examine evidence to determine if something such as muting is warranted. (read below)

Today was a perfect example. Several of us were chatting casually on the archer bandit map about what I don't recall. One of the players, spudman I believe, chatted the words "Tank spanker" or something like that. In reference to what I have no clue because he was chatting with someone else. Meanwhile, a mage level 87 named kawzee or kawzer who was running around stealing everyones kills spamming green flow spell immediately began scolding everyone in chat because apparently "spanker" is extremely offenseive to that person. I requested to know which word was offensive so spudman repeated "spanker" at which kawzer gasps again so we did confirm that was the apparent offensive word. I , while waiting for mana to recharge, did what probably 90% of anyone on the internet would do. I typed "stfu". OK, most people would have typed "STFU" but its too hard to use caps on my phone so I settled for lowercase.

OK so I could write 10 pages on every detail of this but to make a long story short, without any official notification or anything I eventually find myself being hounded by a mod DAHOBBIT (I was trying to get away from the crowd at the time because I kept lagging out...btw couldn't log in at all on wifi mode and kept getting logged off when near other players...we were chatting)

This DAHOBBIT guy apparently muted me and made me an outlaw for which reason thereafter the level 87 mage was repeatedly trying to kill me (I'm level 49) but couldn't due to obvious noobishness.

Mr. Creater, I gotta honestly say you are a great programmer and you have a good game going here but if this sort of stuff keeps up, no one is gonna take your game seriously or want to continue playing it . This supposed moderator is out of control. I repeat, OUT OF CONTROL. Even way back in AOL days 1995, STFU was considered clean....it doesn't have any curse in it LOL. Now, we are all internet users here so obviously we have all encountered that one odd ball that claims to want to protect their 5 year old kid or whatever and worries about language. But spanky???? and STFU???? seriously? Should 5 year olds be on smart phones to begin with???

The honest truth about this is that more people are gonna be offended by this one weirdo whining about whatever little thing offends them and that they can't chat freely...than the occasional oddball that gets offended from stuff like "spanky". I know most of the people reading this will agree as well. I COULD understand if someone was spamming hardcore obscenities and disgusting verbage or death threats or something more extreme, but none of that occurred here.

My point is that you have to look at your demographic. The demographic for this game or any game with actual chat should not be people who get offended by "STFU" or "spanky" or chat in general. If world of warcraft muted people and abused them in other ways for spanky and STFU, it never would have became popular. The allowed abuse by your obviously unqualified moderator - who was going off of one persons complaints..especially since that person was obviously the one pestering the rest of us by killstealing and ruining our conversation. I suggested to them that they move one map down and kill archers solo so that they don't steal our kills nor have to read our chat. The only reply was "i'm gonna tell a mod on you!!!" Really?

In any case for any game convention such as language, pvp or whatever, I highly suggest you look to what some of the games use that actually are popular. I am assuming you do want to make money with it and expand the game. Allowing mods to abuse and let other players abuse someone who's language they didn't approve of just isn't conventional. Feel free to try to look up the footage, it was at around 11 p.m. pacfic standard time. That Kawzer person needs to quit gaming and just go watch sesame street. Dahobbit shouldn't be a mod. period. These guys are gonna ruin your game.

Also just tried again I still can't log in using WIFI mode and the rest of it is very laggy.
Hobbs is kinda...well I cant find a way to put it better then dumb at taking care of stuff. His only real feeling is to outlaw players...and or mute. for chat abuse I just mute. He tends to outlaw cause of character name abuse...but that just makes the name stand out more and creator asked mods NOT to outlaw...We argued over this one night and he still does it after I told him it was wrong...that and he does not report on the mod site that he has done so..I'll leave a message for him about this. Thanks for letting us know your feelings.
SilentMage98

Post by SilentMage98 »

About the title,how about develop the game more,and think about popularity less for now.When this game is a lot better,so much bigger,diverse,we can tell our friends about a mobile game that is very good,and they will tell we are right.Then they will tell other people,and so on.That's how a game I knew became popular to my friends.Also,know your audience,or in this case,your gamer.In this post I'm not saying that the game is not good.This game is REALLY great,it's keeping me awake till morning,as you all have noticed.Thanks!
Ditto3000e

Post by Ditto3000e »

SilentMage98 wrote:About the title,how about develop the game more,and think about popularity less for now.When this game is a lot better,so much bigger,diverse,we can tell our friends about a mobile game that is very good,and they will tell we are right.Then they will tell other people,and so on.That's how a game I knew became popular to my friends.Also,know your audience,or in this case,your gamer.In this post I'm not saying that the game is not good.This game is REALLY great,it's keeping me awake till morning,as you all have noticed.Thanks!
nice idea...but games need people to play them to make them larger...and motivation to make more areas.
SilentMage98

Post by SilentMage98 »

Depends on you guys!
napkinator

Post by napkinator »

james0070 wrote:Ok these ideas may seem like common sense and the reason is that I am taking them from many games that have achieved a high level of popularity. Also, the power that these mods have along with their behavior and abuse is going to ruin your game.
james0070 wrote:These guys are gonna ruin your game.
Agreed! On both counts!

I will clarify when it comes to mods though that I have nothing against them personally. Just from my experience, whenever I have been a part of a gaming community where the game was heavily moderated, it's very tough to be a good mod! Probably the toughest job on earth for the money you make doing it :)

The challenge is first of all having all the information available in every situation. Second of all, being non-biased and always making the same consistent decisions (like a judge). Third of all, being able to always be calm, courteous, and able to deal with any flac you might get from the community for decisions you make.

The above paragraph, is the main why I keep saying that moderator functions should be 99% hardcoded into game mechanics. The less human interaction there is in moderating the better :)
Ditto3000e [Game Mod] wrote:nice idea...but games need people to play them to make them larger...and motivation to make more areas.
While I can agree with what you're trying to say to some extent, I also think that development for the sake of making money is going about it the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, money is great! (and necessary for survival) However, when you develop for the purpose of making money, you have different priorities than when you develop for the purpose of simply engaging your passion.

If the developer is in it for the money, he'll make money. It will be short, sweet, and eventually people will get bored and move on to other games. If the developer is in it for the long haul, he'll push out content when it's ready, bug free, and adds to the gameplay in a positive manner. Right now, the way ads are implemented and the amount of bugs in the game as well as the amount of "features and content" that just-don't-quite-work-as-they-should are going to keep people like me from playing the MMORPG as well as from buying in. I pay for quality stuff that I will actually use (a motto lots of people tend to have these days, economy isn't great, jobs aren't plentiful, etc.) and to me, while this has a ton of potential, it continues to elude the quality that so many other games out there have. It's an excellent work in progress but that's it.