Clarification: what is "hacking" ?

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Trusted

Re: Clarification: what is "hacking" ?

Post by Trusted »

Asmodeous wrote:That would then be a dictionary attack. Not a brute force attack. Brute forcing doesnt require a dictionary. Because its doing every single combination. Do you have any idea how big a brute force dictionary of every single character, including numbers and symbols would be? Lol.

Take a wps attack for example. Some people run a dictionary attack on wps since theres only 10k combinations. Others dont, because bruteforcing wps is exactly the same.

Outright insane. As a white hat you should know this... right?
Right I know this and a brute force attack need a dictionnary or it attack for nothing.
Gandalf
Site Admin

Post by Gandalf »

because this thread is not made to discuss "hacking" but a simple remark of a FT admin, please go on with your discussions in this newly made thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7682

thank you.
Forum Admin and Gamemaster

Useful links: Forum Rules | Game Rules | Items | Quests | Monsters

Spoken languages: English, German
Trusted

Post by Trusted »

Gandalf wrote:because this thread is not made to discuss "hacking" but a simple remark of a FT admin, please go on with your discussions in this newly made thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7682

thank you.
No problem Gandalf ;)
Justin806

Post by Justin806 »

Sum one hack my mage dumbledor3 can u help e get it back i dont knw how and wat thy did and who did it
Justin806

Post by Justin806 »

Sum one hack my mage dumbledor3 can u help e get it back i dont knw how and wat thy did and who did it
Insider

Post by Insider »

Justin806 wrote:Sum one hack my mage dumbledor3 can u help e get it back i dont knw how and wat thy did and who did it
It is impossible to hack an account. There are 2 ways you lost acc:
1) You have shared your password - YOUR FAULT
2) Your password was too easy - YOUR FAULT

Though you can recover password via email.

But you can contact an admin for further investigation of your issue.
King don

Post by King don »

It not much I can do but I will try to find the person. I know that all of you that I can't do it. I don't care I am going to try anyway
josh50052

Post by josh50052 »

Trusted wrote:
MadMikael wrote:MANY players lately are contacting the staff, saying their accounts have been hacked. In all cases, there was no hacking at all. Apparently, most don't know what "hacking" is. For them:

Besides the common definiton of "hack" (cut something using repeated blows etc.) there is the computer science related definition:

The first definition refers to the hobby/profession of working with technology in a creative way, often computers are involved. The second definition refers to breaking into computer systems, what is correctly called "cracking", but the popular media uses the word "hacking" instead.

Cracking - Computer Definition
Gaining unauthorized access to computer systems to commit a crime, such as digging into the code to make a copy-protected program run and flooding Internet sites, thus denying service to legitimate users. During a cracking exploit, important information can be erased or corrupted. Websites can be deliberately defaced. Unauthorized access is typically done by decrypting a password or bypassing a copy-protection scheme. Around 1985, the term “cracker” was coined by hackers as an attempt to defend themselves against journalistic misuse of the word “hacker.” An attempt around 1981 to establish “worm” in this sense on Usenet was largely a failure.

Cracker - Computer Definition
A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security.

Conclusion
If someone is trying to guess at your password, this is known as CRACKING, not hacking. Hacking is if they are trying to get into the server, or your phone, to access your account. This has not happened. However, the admins still take the time to look into these issues of false hacking claims.

So you are aware... if you lose your account, before you contact an admin:
IF YOU SHARED YOUR PASSWORD, and lost your account because of it, IT IS YOUR FAULT!
IF YOU SHARED YOUR DEVICE, and lost your account because of it, IT IS YOUR FAULT!
IF YOU USED AN EASY PASSWORD, and someone guessed it, IT IS YOUR FAULT!

Using passwords like your character name, your real name, your pet's name etc. or "12345" are NOT SAFE!

For reference:
Game rules - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2560 (READ ACCOUNT RULE #1, #2, AND #6)
Advice on password creation - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1851
Funny video about unsafe passwords- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k
In this world we are not in security but they are not cracker who hack account,

In the world of hacking there are a lot of group:

-White Hat (good hackers)
-Black Hat (bad hackers)
-Grey Hat (bad and good hackers)
-Red Hat (Stealing real money)
-Script kiddies (Noobs)
-Lamer (Big noob)
-Cracker (Crack hardware and software)
-Crasher (They destroy all)

For hacking an account they use Phishing, RAT or SE

RAT=Spyware.

Thanks for understing.
Trusted.
you missed out green hack who acts only for money. i was always taught that a hacker is a good guy and the cracker is the bad guy but due to media and Hollywood ppl have been led to believe hackers do harm! no only crackers are bad hackers are ppl often employed by big companies or other to atempt to crack the security and so they can act apon this :-)
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

As long as they're working FOR said corporate interests, wouldn't that still be white hat?
Omnes Autem Uri
AnonRekcah

Post by AnonRekcah »

And you learned this from what,the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: