Promoting role playing

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Phaxes

Promoting role playing

Post by Phaxes »

Forgotten Tales is a violent and epic fantasy world where adventurers must literally hack their way through dungeons by slashing, chopping, arrowing and blowing enemies.
Everybody understands that killing "others" is the natural way to play. No questioning about that...

But why should it always be done with courtesy ? Not all characters are knights with good manners.
Methink a bit of swearing and cursing in the mouth of a burly dwarf is part of the role.

The opposite even feels displaced to me; would you expect the aforementioned dwarf say: "Heil messier Orc, thou are vile and puny and I will behead thee at once."
No ! That is not role playing ! I expect a full-fledge warrior shouting "Blody orc bastard ! I'm gonna kick your ass back to your lair !".

Why should someone be shocked by this ? You can't blame the player for bad words... And not blaming him for killing things around !

And what about playing a bad character ?
The game system allows to play a bad guy, using force against the weak, tricking the new-by, enrolling followers for bad deeds, ...etc.
Great ! That starts to sound epic !
I like this because goodness is not imposed on us. Everybody has the choice and choosing a "good" path is yet even more challenging and rewarding.
Your strength only measures against the strength of your enemy.

So next time you see a "foul white mage" trying to kill a noob, don't try to punish the player through banishment, IP blocking and the like. He IS acting after all.
Punish its character only !!!

BTW: I think outlaws should suffer some sort of banishment by spawning back to life in a dedicated place. Something like the "Pirate bay" (aka the upper left village).
A place where they can find pairs as well, some kind of support (smuggler's shop), ...etc.
kawz

Re: Promoting role playing

Post by kawz »

absolutely disapprove of this. and i think you will find yourself in bother with your post. mods and Admins will not approve.

Role-playing video games (commonly referred to as role-playing games or RPGs, as well as computer RPGs or CRPGs) are a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world.

we are a role-playing video game. we play the role of the first character. there is no acting! we assume the role of an adventurer.

therefore when a player acts up, they are simply acting up.

mmorpg, is the exact same, just there is many players assuming the role of protagonist.

like i said, i disapprove of your post, and disagree completely
Visart

Post by Visart »

And I for balance, agree with Phaxes. RPG is role playing game so if you're a dwarf act like a dwarf. If You want to be the orator You should choose a elven-like hero. Archer is closest to elves or Paladin so swordsman would fit. Have you ever seen the cat which was barking, Kawzer??? I didn't find any. So Phaxes is right. As they say more than enough is too much. A little profanity and "bad" language does not hurt if you just behave moderation. I think Mods should decide whether the player only plays his role, or He is just misbehaves. But the use of bad language should be allowed, in moderation of course.
Phaxes wrote: BTW: I think outlaws should suffer some sort of banishment by spawning back to life in a dedicated place. Something like the "Pirate bay" (aka the upper left village).
A place where they can find pairs as well, some kind of support (smuggler's shop), ...etc.
BTW great idea for me Phaxes. And for example, pirates or orcs shouldn't attack outlaws. :)
Ditto3000e

Post by Ditto3000e »

Visart wrote:A little profanity and "bad" language does not hurt if you just behave moderation.
I dont mute for just one offensive remark, sometimes it sparks conversation. If they do it out of anger or frustration, that's when i talk to them about it and if they keep going, then I mark as mute and log it. There is a fine line on it and the question is, Where do you mark the line. I told you mine, other mods I'm sure is very similar. As we have rules to follow as well.
Gandalf
Site Admin

Post by Gandalf »

Ditto3000e [Game Mod] wrote:
Visart wrote:A little profanity and "bad" language does not hurt if you just behave moderation.
I dont mute for just one offensive remark, sometimes it sparks conversation. If they do it out of anger or frustration, that's when i talk to them about it and if they keep going, then I mark as mute and log it. There is a fine line on it and the question is, Where do you mark the line. I told you mine, other mods I'm sure is very similar. As we have rules to follow as well.
just want to write the same.
Forum Admin and Gamemaster

Useful links: Forum Rules | Game Rules | Items | Quests | Monsters

Spoken languages: English, German
kawz

Post by kawz »

i feel you are getting the board game version of 'RPG' mixed up with 'VIDEO RPG'.

the board version is playing a role. where as video role playing is assuming the role of the main character which plays your personality.

there is a quintessential difference in the two version. in video rpg you do not have a character with personality. you are the personality.

so if you to want to curse and be an antagonist, then that is your own doing and not you 'fulfilling your role' in the game.

so once again, i disagree. for the simple fact there is no roles to be played
Kishar Ninkasi

Post by Kishar Ninkasi »

I am completely on the fence about this. I agree with some of what Phaxes is saying, and disagree with the other parts.
Phaxes wrote: And what about playing a bad character ?
The game system allows to play a bad guy, using force against the weak, tricking the new-by, enrolling followers for bad deeds, ...etc.
Great ! That starts to sound epic !
I like this because goodness is not imposed on us. Everybody has the choice and choosing a "good" path is yet even more challenging and rewarding.
Your strength only measures against the strength of your enemy.
This is one area I agree with. Some people play their characters as an extension of their own personality, while others choose to take on giving each character a personality (though I prefer written, forum-based role-play for this).

Part of giving the game a bit more depth (and the world of Forgotten Tales) is having to fight monsters, but also having enemies become allies, and vice versa.

However... using a character to consistently bully or antagonize the same few players over and over takes away from the fun and crosses the line of 'enjoyable roleplay'.
Phaxes wrote: The opposite even feels displaced to me; would you expect the aforementioned dwarf say: "Heil messier Orc, thou are vile and puny and I will behead thee at once."
No ! That is not role playing ! I expect a full-fledge warrior shouting "Blody orc bastard ! I'm gonna kick your ass back to your lair !".
Methink a bit of swearing and cursing in the mouth of a burly dwarf is part of the role.
This is the part I disagree with. I understand your point, but the game was created to be 'family friendly' and 'appropriate for all ages'. In accordance with this basis, and for respect to players from cultures all around the world, there is still some language that should not be present, no matter the nature of the character played. Keeping the truly foul language out gives a guideline for users not to step over, but also become creative with the flair of their words.
Phaxes wrote: BTW: I think outlaws should suffer some sort of banishment by spawning back to life in a dedicated place. Something like the "Pirate bay" (aka the upper left village).
^Like. :)
Phaxes wrote: Forgotten Tales is a violent and epic fantasy world where adventurers must literally hack their way through dungeons by slashing, chopping, arrowing and blowing enemies.
*is dead* I know what you meant by the last few words... but I think you might have forgotten to include the word 'up'. :P
/spam
In-game Names: Blakewood (Archer) | Ninkasi (Wizard)
Visart

Post by Visart »

Yes Kaw You are right about that I'm the personality not character played by me. But it is the essence of RPG. I can give different personality to all my characters (for example 3 diffrent). I can play nice guy and bad guy. My played character can't be identified with me. That's only role I wish to play. So Phaxes asked to punish played character not the person who is playing this character. And of course I agree with him:) Banish bad character and no judge the person behind this chatacter. It's only role and it's only a game! :)
rpgkermit

Post by rpgkermit »

I've cussed right in front of Ditto. Not thinking how easy it is for kids to be included in the game with us. I was asked by ditto not to do it. Since then I havn't. I don't see whats so difficult.
Ditto3000e

Post by Ditto3000e »

rpgkermit wrote:I've cussed right in front of Ditto. Not thinking how easy it is for kids to be included in the game with us. I was asked by ditto not to do it. Since then I havn't. I don't see whats so difficult.
people grow up in different environments that it's nature for them to swear...but it's un needed. They dont see that part of it though...which is why they are the ones not graduating from college, because honestly...who would hire a professional that is unprofessional...no no place worth working.