New feature: Trade Affinity

stay tuned

Moderator: Game Administrators

Cashew

Re: New feature: Trade Affinity

Post by Cashew »

I think this feature is stupid. The "realism" that different races are better at certain things is false, not all people are good at the same things so why group all races/classes together?

It's just a hindrance to people raising their skills, especially the archer with crafting. That trade is messed up to begin with. By the logic of its training that you only learn from mistakes; all skills should be leveled by failing. Building, mining, cutting, or fishing something doesn't teach you anything either then right?
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

Agreed. The archer crafting affinity is not right at all. Harder to fail if already have a higher percentage for success already. Really, the archer is punished for being a good crafter.
BOO!:ghost:
DaHobbit

Post by DaHobbit »

Cashew wrote:I think this feature is stupid. The "realism" that different races are better at certain things is false, not all people are good at the same things so why group all races/classes together?

It's just a hindrance to people raising their skills, especially the archer with crafting. That trade is messed up to begin with. By the logic of its training that you only learn from mistakes; all skills should be leveled by failing. Building, mining, cutting, or fishing something doesn't teach you anything either then right?
Realism? Have you ever played D&D? Or even any RPG board game? Have you played RPG games long? The entire makeup of RPG games is based upon different classes, each with different abilities. The monsters encountered vary greatly in classes, strengths, and weaknesses.

I encounter quite a few players that do not want to go find things. They want someone to just give them what is needed (though a gift from time to time is greatly appreciated). The entire spirit of the RPG is adventure.

If you want to remove the adventure from this game, and you want to make all classes equal (I'm not talking about balance atm), then you are in the wrong type of game. RPG games are full of adventure, and characters that are so very different from one another.
DaHobbit - Game Master (GM)
Bence

Post by Bence »

D&D is a great game. I succesfuly killed the spaghetti monster.
"We are unity in diversity"
lvl 1006 mage
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

I love how you missed my point entirely. Let me try again...

First off this is not an adventure game it's an rpg, which stands for ROLE PLAYING GAME and yes i have played them both, rpgs mainly for quite a while and numerous different ones. There's a difference, check it out sometime.

Alright so realism was the wrong wording I'll admit that, considering nothing in this game is real. I'll just try common sense instead.

How trades are trained, every other skill is fine except crafting... or crafting is fine and everything else is wrong. My point was that if you "learn from your mistakes" then that should be global, not selective as it can be argued for every skill that you would learn how to do something from your mistakes. My point was just give it consistency.

As for the actual affinity part, my other point is that your combat skills are completely unrelated to your non-combat skills. You claim that it's to make characters more diverse, but in reality it's just giving a false sense of diversity. Just like giving a monster more hp/dmg/dex is just artificial difficulty.

A swordsman will always be a swordsman, a dwarf will always be a dwarf, a mage will always be a mage, a troll will always be a troll, and an archer will always be an archer. There is no diversity in that.

If you're going to make characters more diverse, then they need to be able to be customized. Either being able to select which skills you are proficient in, or have it tied by RACE. And by that I mean that's the first thing you should be able to select, and then after pick your class. That's one alternative.

Another more simple alternative (since it seems game size is of issue) then cut out the trade affinity for classes. My reason for saying is just because I know how to shoot a bow, doesn't mean it makes me suck at fishing. Oh and I can't help but I feel I need to say this is just an example, I'm not complaining about any particular class when it comes to trades. It doesn't make SENSE to tie combat skills to non-combat skills.

I'd understand if we got to select race, but technically all we get to select is our combat class. Yes I know the different classes have different races tied to them, but we don't pick the race we pick the class. If we got to choose both, then it'd make sense. Example being if I chose dwarf, I'd be better at mining no matter how I chose to fight than say a troll.

Preferably we'd get to choose which skills we were better / worse at, allowing for a true diversity rather than a fake one but it could also be accomplished by tying skills to race selection instead of combat preference. That's what I meant by realism as at the time I didn't know how better else to explain it, to me it's just common sense but I know that is severely lacking today's society.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea entirely, just that it was implemented poorly to achieve the desired effect.

This game has amazing potential, it just needs some work. Trades are just one of the features that needs some attention.
bardiya

Post by bardiya »

Bence wrote:D&D is a great game. I succesfuly killed the spaghetti monster.
D&D? Well i removed it within one day after installing :lol:
The only good rpg game is FT 8-)
Bence

Post by Bence »

Yes, the first impression is not that good but if you contiune playing it you will like it.
"We are unity in diversity"
lvl 1006 mage
Zepper93

Post by Zepper93 »

He didn't miss your point. Actually he was saying wat ur point leads to. And obviously uv only played new base "RPG" games and I use the quotations because to be fairly honest there not RPGs they are just adventure games. The way combatant is making the game is a classic RPG and is making it correctly so weather people see it or not. I feel players seem to forget yes we have a voice but this is combatants world and he will make it how he sees fit. Which is awesome btw
LordSeth

Re: Upcoming changes: Trade Affinity

Post by LordSeth »

kollex wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:Sounds very interesting though I think a dwarf should be better at chopping trees. I mean an axe should be natural for a dwarf
I disagree: a war axe differs from a chopping axe. /lore/: Dwarves live inside the mountains, where no trees grow, they are best at mining.
supposedly they are also legendary crafters. Basically, they should be good at many such trades, but we had to sacrifice something to give bonuses to other trades.
I think someone don't like dwarfs. It's common since bud a dwarf can swing a axe like a pro in fact they are more of a pro than anything else at mining and swinging a axe. As u say the wood axe differs from a war axe, if you will look at the level 0 axe and a few other war axes that the dwarfs are to use in battle they look nearly identical to the speed 1 wood axe and the speed 3 wood axe. So you saying there is a difference between the war axe and wood axe doesn't show your intelligence. With the axe they do the same as in pvp pvm or anything else they aim swing and hit just as good as a swordsman if not better. Disagreeing with that was just clearly showing that you got either a problem with cleo or dwarfs. I'm not trying to be rude but i speak my mind as u do weather I'm wrong or not I call It as I see it.
Game Administrator
LORD SETH
Languages: English
Useful Links:
- General game help
- Quest list
- Forum Rules
- Game Rules
FOLLOW RULES THEY ARE HERE FOR A REASON