New Rules on Shared and Traded Accounts

stay tuned

Moderator: Game Administrators

Cleopatra

Re: New Rules on Shared and Traded Accounts

Post by Cleopatra »

I used to be a GM they don't discriminate. Gandalf sets very strict rule and guidelines on jailing accs. FT justice system isn't perfect but I'm proud to say it's pretty darn close. You only get jailed if there's a really good reason/proof you committed a crime...
And I do think before I speak that also was part of my GM training.
One of those strict rules/guidelines of putting an account in jail is PROOF of abuse. So the fact that they are already in jail means there is PROOF that SOMETYPE of abuse happened.
Languages Spoken: English
Facebook name: Cleopatra Ft
I'm a veteran GM of almost 2 years
Dwarf = Worf, Soldier = Captn Kirk, Archer = Tuvok, Ogre = Quark, Mage = Almighty Q
If you can't play honestly then plz honestly don't play!
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I first played the mmo back in 2013 or 2014 with a swordsman and got him to around level 40. I thought mages were cooler and started one of those and also got him to around level 40. I stopped playing for 4+ years and when I came back I started a new character because I couldn't remember my login info for old characters and neither was registered to an email address.

I got my new/main swordsman to 200+ over a few months and started thinking of my old characters. DaHobbit told me they should still exist, so I set about trying to figure out passwords and after some time succeded. I'm playing my old mage as an alt but have a swordsman character around level 40 that I don't need.

Could I give my brother login info for a character without any email registerd that has about 30 seconds of play time in the past 4+ years? I'd honestly let the character sit unused if that didn't happen. I have zero desire to "share" it.

I'm honestly curious about how that would be interpreted.

SellSword
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Khmer

Post by Khmer »

SellSword wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 am I first played the mmo back in 2013 or 2014 with a swordsman and got him to around level 40. I thought mages were cooler and started one of those and also got him to around level 40. I stopped playing for 4+ years and when I came back I started a new character because I couldn't remember my login info for old characters and neither was registered to an email address.

I got my new/main swordsman to 200+ over a few months and started thinking of my old characters. DaHobbit told me they should still exist, so I set about trying to figure out passwords and after some time succeded. I'm playing my old mage as an alt but have a swordsman character around level 40 that I don't need.

Could I give my brother login info for a character without any email registerd that has about 30 seconds of play time in the past 4+ years? I'd honestly let the character sit unused if that didn't happen. I have zero desire to "share" it.

I'm honestly curious about how that would be interpreted.

SellSword
+1
Leone

Post by Leone »

No. It's against the rules.

The rule has to be absolute. I could share my account with 2 other players all over the world and say they're my relatives. Who would know if i was telling the truth? 24 hr game time means unfair advantage.

Why not get your brother to create a new account? LVL 40 now is a lot easier than 2013 - I know and you know. You may have got those 40 levels back then but they are still an advantage.

If you've been reading this forum recently, then you'll know that shared accounts are being punished. Don't test it, don t try it on as it'll come back to bite you.

My advice. Just play by the rules that are there for everyone.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I have no issue with the initial rule myself or the recent statement that the rule will be enforced, and certainly am not going to do anything stupid. Realistic situation with old accounts, but really a hypothetical question.

I've read all of the comments on this post, from reasoned to hyperbole and everything in between. I'm not responding to anyone's comment(s) here, but I think it's a reasonable rule and goal, and also reasonable to determine the parameters or scope of the rule. For example, the references to "sharing" in the rules (or some variation thereof) are more focused on protecting your account in Rule 2, but references further in the rules point towards a broader restriction though it is not explicitly stated. Also, are references to "trading" treated the same as "sharing" as the terms have different denorations and connotations? Yes, forum posts do clarify or amend the rules as well, and some of those are in response to questions or situations.

People also need to keep in mind that many rules evolve over time, so what happens today might not happen a month from now, whether for better or worse according to your subjective opinion. The staff has to start somewhere, and that somewhere will never have full agreement of all players, even those with nothing at stake. This is an attempt to better the game for a large demographic, not just particular segments of players. For every person who says they play 12+ hours a day and do nothing else with their free time there are people who treat this as a casual game playing a few minutes here and there with other things going on with their lives.

People have certainly expressed a variety of opinions on the topic, and I'm not sure if there is much more consensus now than there was after the initial post. Many clear rules and smooth processes began with stumbling steps, but they have to at least begin somewhere.

I'm sure some people will disagree and some people will agree. Im not looking for an argument or validation, but just mentioning my opinion.

SellSword
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

Sellsword that last post was very well worded

I would like to clarify 2 things

share definition:
use, occupy, or enjoy (something) jointly with another or others

Hobbs clearly stated that sharing or trading will not be tolerated and that the punishment will be perm jail

Now, in my opinion those words mean business and speak to me in a way that tells me not to even go there

It is very easy for a new or old player to create a new character and start their own account

Whether many or all players disagree or agree with the rule or punishment doesn't apply

I believe that hobbs worded the initial post that way so that it would be simple and firm and not leave any grey area open to doubt or debate
BOO!:ghost:
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Ryaca wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:28 pm I would like to clarify 2 things

share definition:
use, occupy, or enjoy (something) jointly with another or others

Hobbs clearly stated that sharing or trading will not be tolerated and that the punishment will be perm jail

Now, in my opinion those words mean business and speak to me in a way that tells me not to even go there
+1 Very well said.

And since we know it's from the day of the OP* onward, no retro-active applying of the rule, I honestly do NOT see what players are all so concerned about.

OK before this people shared an account knowing they were breaking the rule, but chose to do so because it was not being enforced. GUESS WHAT! That "era" ended Mon 5 Mar, 2018 @ 08:31, it is being enforced as of that time.

So the account owner's option is a simple one: change the password and carry on!

Now the "others" who shared it, in the past, can't use it anymore. If some of the others have invested money in the account, well, it is up to the account owner to reimburse them or not. This is not an issue that the GM's or compbatant need or should get involved it.

I guess it is easy for me; I don't share my account and never will. So all this huff and puff about the rule being enforced now when it wasn't "yesterday"** is just so much hot air in my most very humble opinion.

* Opening Post of the thread: Mon 5 Mar, 2018 @ 08:31
** meaning prior to Mon 5 Mar, 2018 @ 08:31
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
Needhelp

Post by Needhelp »

As far as i think it works with tracing ips, so even if you use proxy server you wont be banned. Using multiple devices cant cause problem if i have right and compbwtant uses ip tracing in the code.
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

unless you are caught using a proxy server... in which case you will likely lose your account and I would guess be reported to and risk punishment from Google as well - I would strongly recommend against this
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Google doesn't allow proxy servers?

I did not know this, of course I don't; I don't use them.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.