Trade Assistance - Report Scammers & Cheaters

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Cashew

Re: Trade Assistance - Report Scammers & Cheaters

Post by Cashew »

Slow down when trading

I'm always trading on my alt, easily 10+ times per day (more if you include transfers) and during ANY trade I double check the player's name, the item(s), AND the gold amount before I ever hit accept. Even after doing all 3, I pause an extra couple of seconds to make sure there isn't any "switching" going on.

I know especially when a good deal comes along or you've finally found an item you've been looking forever for and someone is willing to sell people get anxious to go ahead and get it as soon as possible.

An extra few seconds to pause and wait (count to 5) to watch / see what the other player does before accepting can save you potential heartache from having been scammed. More often than not it's not the money/item(s) lost that hurts the most; it's the feeling of getting cheated out of them.

Blame it on lag or someone spam trading you if they get agitated you're taking too long, who cares tbh. Better to be safe than sorry.

The most common ones I see now are those that try and swap out XXXXM for XXXXK. Tbh these are so stupid it always makes me laugh, but they wouldn't keep doing it if people didn't fall for it.

Also, unless you're intentionally buying them or actually are wanting them; never accept a bunch of random items for whatever you're selling. Not only does it open you up to being scammed by swapping out a couple of the items for junk ones (for example showing +2 items in trade then swapping for +1/regular) if you don't actually want/need the items and plan to resell it takes time (potentially a LONG time) to do so.

Make THEM sell the items and only accept gold. Nothing more annoying than being shown 4-5 random items I have absolutely no use for and watching them constantly flash them around hoping I'll accept when they land on junk and then like 417m for a pet. Yeah they might "add up" to what you're asking for, but it could take a week or more to actually sell them all meanwhile taking up space and forcing you to offer over and over into the chat hoping someone comes along wanting to buy 'em.

Ofc if they're items you want/need, that's a different story. Just be careful as you're more likely to miss an item being swapped out when there are more of them in the window.

There are scammers in every game with any sort of trading system; that's guaranteed 100%.

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time nothing will be replaced even if the player(s) doing the scamming get caught and punished.

Luckily there are some players that help either replacing lost items/gold either in full/partial OR warn those around of players that have attempted to scam them; but never count on it tbh. It ain't fair to expect unrelated parties to help you out because of your own error. This might seem harsh, but only YOU can allow yourself to be scammed.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I agree that everyone should take steps to protect themselves during trades, and very good advice on how to do so provided by Cashew. With the current trade system players would be wise to heed that advice. Of course, those things have been said a few times before.

Then the big "however" comes up...

It would be great if compbatant would do something to try and eliminate these issues. Cue vasinta cackling about the issue because she obviously likes doing that every time it's brought up, but it's something that needs to be fixed.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

I'm thinking of a triangulation solution.

Buyer , seller and npc.

The buyer and seller discuss the trade, but have to go through the system npc- not gm - to complete the trade.

Example. LVL 100 arm for 5m gold.

Players discuss and agree price
Both go to npc market holder. Plenty scattered around ft world map
Both tick to agree sale
Npc then asks 'are you sure?'
Both tick= bingo
One or both declines= sale cancelled

There is that extra security check
But.....

The current system should stay as it is for players who trust each other and alts. This new proposal is purely for trades with strangers.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

Could just make a "marketplace" where each player can place max 5 items for sale, other players browse and buy the one they like...make the "available slots" over 5 a cash purchase... Also with this make "gifting" one item or gold available to ppl on your friend list. This way u can "trade" with friends.
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Lestat wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 am Could just make a "marketplace" where each player can place max 5 items for sale, other players browse and buy the one they like...make the "available slots" over 5 a cash purchase... Also with this make "gifting" one item or gold available to ppl on your friend list. This way u can "trade" with friends.
Do not understand the "italics" part.

you said "max 5" then available slots over 5?
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

Yes give every player 5 slots..make more slots available for purchase. Like extra backpack,bank storage, etc...this not only will stop scammers, but will allow buyers to have better control of prices..they can shop for lowest price, if they dont like the price and noone buys items,sellers will have to drop prices.
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Lestat wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 am Yes give every player 5 slots..make more slots available for purchase. Like extra backpack,bank storage, etc...this not only will stop scammers, but will allow buyers to have better control of prices..they can shop for lowest price, if they dont like the price and noone buys items,sellers will have to drop prices.
OHH!

5 free spaces
Extra $ Purchase for 5 more.

I'm assuming that there can be multiple purchases of the +5 :D

This idea: +10
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

LostKnight wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 am
Lestat wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 am Yes give every player 5 slots..make more slots available for purchase. Like extra backpack,bank storage, etc...this not only will stop scammers, but will allow buyers to have better control of prices..they can shop for lowest price, if they dont like the price and noone buys items,sellers will have to drop prices.
OHH!

5 free spaces
Extra $ Purchase for 5 more.

I'm assuming that there can be multiple purchases of the +5 :D

This idea: +10
Yes make maybe a cap of 50 slots, but maybe limit the amount one account can sell at a time, this way one player cant have an excess of one item.. they just come to market, collect their $ and add items...just add a "tavern" on spawn..one window to place items and collect items/gold and one window to shop..maybe have ability to search items( depending on how in-depth they want) like either weapons,armor,legs,amulets,rings,boots or by level(any items for sale at that level are listed) and then an accessory slot for the hp,mana pots
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
Leone

Post by Leone »

Good ideas:) let's hope they get trialled and road tested
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I'd suggest a(nother) thread in the suggestions forum too so this particular reporting thread doesn't go completely off topic.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.