I've recently rejoined the team, and I thought about this a lot before doing so.
Becoming a GM is a huge decision. Do not make this decision quickly or lightly. It changes your whole game play experience, and it is much more difficult than it appears.
MAKE SURE YOU'RE CHOOSING TO DO THIS FOR THE RIGHT REASONS
Being a GM is like having a job... it's not all fun and parties. You're basically a police officer, with little freedom; you enforce the rules, but you are limited by the rules. Everything you do will be criticized, and probably made public when you mess up. PvP and clans are a big part of the game, a part you will have to give up. Also, being a GM will have an effect on your current friendships with players, and it will strain those relationships if you do your job right. I ended up losing several friendships when I first joined up; but, I was fortunate to make new ones.
Good reasons to apply
- You have the qualities sought after that are listed in the first post of the GM application thread
- You want to help keep the game clean, but only within the rules
- You feel passionate about the game (to an extent)
- You are willing to commit to a big change in how you see things
Bad reasons to apply, or reasons you shouldn't apply
- You want to throw parties
- You can't treat enemies as equally as your friends
- You can't treat everyone equally
- You don't like dealing with negative people or issues
- You get stressed easily
- You cannot work in a team
- You want to punish people
- You want to "get even" with someone
- You get angry easily, or insulted easily
- You want items or gold, for yourself or others
- You can't stand by and watch a friend get PvP'd to death
- You strongly disagree with the rules, or the state of the game
- You don't have patience
I'll add more reasons as I think of them.
Note: these are my personal opinions, and my personal advice; this post does not reflect everyone's view, nor the view of the entire GM team.