My advice to those wanting to apply for GM

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

MadMikael

Re: Gamemaster Apprenticeship Program

Post by MadMikael »

TO ANY WHO CONSIDER APPLYING FOR GM

I've recently rejoined the team, and I thought about this a lot before doing so.

Becoming a GM is a huge decision. Do not make this decision quickly or lightly. It changes your whole game play experience, and it is much more difficult than it appears.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE CHOOSING TO DO THIS FOR THE RIGHT REASONS

Being a GM is like having a job... it's not all fun and parties. You're basically a police officer, with little freedom; you enforce the rules, but you are limited by the rules. Everything you do will be criticized, and probably made public when you mess up. PvP and clans are a big part of the game, a part you will have to give up. Also, being a GM will have an effect on your current friendships with players, and it will strain those relationships if you do your job right. I ended up losing several friendships when I first joined up; but, I was fortunate to make new ones.

Good reasons to apply
  • You have the qualities sought after that are listed in the first post of the GM application thread
  • You want to help keep the game clean, but only within the rules
  • You feel passionate about the game (to an extent)
  • You are willing to commit to a big change in how you see things

Bad reasons to apply, or reasons you shouldn't apply
  • You want to throw parties
  • You can't treat enemies as equally as your friends
  • You can't treat everyone equally
  • You don't like dealing with negative people or issues
  • You get stressed easily
  • You cannot work in a team
  • You want to punish people
  • You want to "get even" with someone
  • You get angry easily, or insulted easily
  • You want items or gold, for yourself or others
  • You can't stand by and watch a friend get PvP'd to death
  • You strongly disagree with the rules, or the state of the game
  • You don't have patience

I'll add more reasons as I think of them.
Note: these are my personal opinions, and my personal advice; this post does not reflect everyone's view, nor the view of the entire GM team.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
madmaniacal1

Re: Gamemaster Apprenticeship Program

Post by madmaniacal1 »

@MadMikael.

While, as you said, these views are not necessarily the views of the entire team (nice disclaimer, Lol), these points are all valid in my point of view. I, like so many, started the path of GM with good intentions. The hard part is continuing to feel the same after a while in the position. From what I have seen in old posts, many GMs have stopped playing because they could not handle the pressure mixed with real life issues.
MadMikael

My advice to those wanting to apply for GM

Post by MadMikael »

I'm moving this post out of the GM apprenticeship thread, as it's getting buried, and I think it's important advice.

DOOMSDAY

Re: My advice to those wanting to apply for GM

Post by DOOMSDAY »

OBVIOUSLY DOOM WILL NOT BE MODERATOR, BUT DO VOTE LEONE IN IF HE EVER APPLIES.
LEONE IS CURTIOUS, KIND, NEVER CURSES, WAS [DR], SELF CONFIDENT, WELL SPOKEN, NOT INFLUENCED BY DOOM, & ALL AROUND GOOD PLAYER.
WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE LEONE AS GM. ;}
Leone

Post by Leone »

Thank you Dom:)
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

Have you read my above post, and considered it?
ARE YOU SURE you want to try to be a GM?

When the GM asks you "Are you sure?", you better listen.
When the GM asks you "Are you sure?", you better listen.
commonsensememe.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 10960 times
Alrighty then.
Before you apply, you should probably read this.
Even after you have applied, it may still help you.

Tips for getting picked for the GM position.

The most important things are actually listed in the application, which you should read if you have not already.
It's the very first post in the thread. Click page 1 if you're not on page 1.
Really though, players don't read them before applying, or don't understand them.
Tip #1: Show
READ ALL (yes ALL) of the first post in the application. Read ALL (yes ALL) of the 3 sets of rules. Did I mention ALL?

If you don't, it will show, and you will be immediately excluded. Doesn't matter if it's because you're lazy, or if English is hard to read for you. Either way, you won't get chosen. If you've read them, and understood them, you should know immediately if you are qualified.
Tip #2: Show
Qualities. These are listed in the application foreword. Do you have them? Ok, you believe you do, and now you have to convince us. But, how is a GM who is reviewing your application going to know for sure? Think about that for a minute. On a regular basis, players lie to GMs all the time, to try and get things. Naturally, GMs question most of what every player tells them. It is quite common for players to simply want to be a GM to get powers; whether to add levels and items, or to punish their enemies. We are not perfect, but we try really hard not to recruit anyone like that.
Tip #3: Show
Read the other applications. Look them over, see what people say. The thread is full of applicants who are not picked. Why is that? Well, many reasons, as discussed in the application foreword. Obviously, if you lie on any single part of the application, you'll automatically be refused, and likely will not be considered again.

But, you'll notice a common theme, if you read the applications over time, like say years, as I have. Most players say simple answers. Sure, straight to the point. But, how do we know you're not just telling us what you think we want to hear? Put thought into your answers. Every question has a purpose. Figure it out, and you may get somewhere.

Oh, and by the way, copying/pasting another players application, putting your name on it, is a stupid idea. Don't do it.
Tip #4: Show
Read between the lines. I've intentionally left these tips quite vague. But, if you're clever, I've pointed you to exactly what you need to do. This is, in fact, a test of you. Sure, I could write a step by step guide on how to do it. But how would that help anyone? We need GMs who are keen, and can think on their feet, so to speak. Yes, loyal people who just follow orders would be good to a point, but not as a full GM. Maybe, apply as a Watcher, if you really want to help, and that's the kind of person you are.
I may add more later. Let's see what happens with these.

saske

Post by saske »

I'm going to send a form to make me I have the ability to help the most players