real money pet killer SS

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Cashew

Re: real money pet killer SS

Post by Cashew »

I'm not talking about your example, that's the own players risk to where they park pets and can't keep an eye on them.

I'd like to provide a different example, southern mushymen with ogre haflings.

These pets require the player to act as the tank as the pets do the damage. Yes, individually the ogre can kill the mushy with no problem, but if an over spawn occurs or if someone spawns and drags several, the pets can die very easily due to low hp + always having a 1/6 chance of being hit. I'm talking seconds if enough are dragged or spawned.

I'm constantly watching them, making sure they're parked exactly where they should be and only spawn within a certain amount JUST to make sure they don't accidentally get killed.

Now I understand the "don't feed the troll" argument ive been told before but at the same time all that does is ENCOURAGE the use of over spawning to drive players away to gain that grinding spot. Sometimes there isn't always a different spot to go to. Why should I have to move spots that will risk my pets just bc someone is feeling froggy?

Are we expected to just bow down to rule breakers because the only ways to prove it aren't proof enough?

When one stands up to a rule breaker waiting for a gm to come online only to be told "don't feed the troll" is shenanigans.

I'm not arguing for the sake of myself btw; due to the rarity of any action by a gm in regards to spawn killing and blocking many of us have had to resort to rule breaking ourselves and that's my point. The only way to not get bullied, is to do onto others as they do onto you. I've just gotten better at it with practice, loads of players realize they won't get punished for these actions so it's constantly dealt with on a daily basis.

If you let them chase you off; they broke the rule and won, you lost.

If you stand your ground you get scolded for feeding the troll and nothing happens. They broke the rule and won, you lost.

If you simply wait for a gm, you get told nothing is happening because for the 60 seconds you're there, they stop doing it or it can't be proven because you didnt die. Then as soon as the gm is gone, they continue. So yet again they broke the rule and won, and yet again... you lost.

So in other words, the only way to have a chance to win your case is to break the rules. That's why I'm being persistent. The rule that is supposed to protect players from the abuse isn't being enforced.

There is almost no use in reporting any sort of attempt at spawn killing tbh. The only chance you've got is to spawn map limit with them and hope it kills/chases them away after you log. If it doesnt, just pester them back until the GM comes then play dumb with the offending player.

Oh, and no I'm not spawn killing I just spawn a bunch then suddenly have to go afk so I log to not break the afk grinding rule.

My point is the odds of anything happening with this sort of rule breaking is slim to none. I used to wonder why the feelings towards the GM team is harsh from the playerbase in general but I've begun to understand why.

It's nothing personal, I just wish a more commonsense approach towards these issues rather than by the letter of the law were sometimes used. You can ALWAYS find an excuse for something that's breaking a rule. Barring language and afk grinding ofc.

Even bug abuse imo, since nothing is ever posted how are you supposed to the tell the difference between a bug and a new hidden update? If common sense can be applied to punish these players, why not spawn killers?

I'm really trying to be nice about it, like I said I personally have no problem because I've just learned how to defend myself. But there are many players that can't or don't know how or whatever and those are the ones that need the assistance.

Anyway I'm done I've said all I can think of, I already know that nothing will ever be done or changed I just needed to get it out why the playerbase feels frustrated. Just gotta join them in the gutter to have a chance to play I reckon.
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

You are absolutely right, in that it is a frustrating situation.
But, many players, would rather sit and complain, rather than try and come up with a solution.
The only solution I see you suggesting, is get rid of the rule altogether. How does that help?
We do go on patrols. We do punish when we catch offenders.
You want more? I'm open to ideas.
We need more GMs? Sure, I'll agree to that.
But finding people who WON'T CHEAT and WON'T ABUSE POWERS and NOT GET PAID is not an easy task.
We try as hard as we can, and yet, we still get criticized, no matter what. Nothing is ever good enough.

Honestly, the only way I can think of for this to be fixed, is if it's programmed differently.
That is not my area, and I have no say in it whatsoever.
All I can say, is post in suggestions, and maybe the programmer will consider it.
I don't like that answer anymore than you do.

Players are frustrated. So are the GMs.
We have this rule so we can punish if we catch them.
But none of us like the actual result.

So yeah, I understand how you feel. It's not a new problem at all.
You do what you have to do, as some players are just ****s.
It's a sad fact, but it happens; but it's still no excuse; if you sink to their level, and you're caught, you'll still be punished.
If I could, I would permanently jail and ban every griefer out there.
But this is beyond my abilities.
So we can work together, and try for a better solution, or we can sit around and complain about the other.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

I might be mad enough to say jt but I couldn't do that. Hell I still feel bad for the few times I've fallen asleep grinding lol.

Honestly as far as pet killers go I never understood why that wasn't against the rules but spawn killing is. To me it's pretty much the same action and that's where a lot of frustration comes in. Pet control isnt reliable at times and if the offending player is trying to kill you, it's usually when you're fleeing or logging that your pets get killed. The original action is a spawn killing that usually results in the pets dying instead of the player.

I DO understand not replacing pets, and that it's hard to prove with anything short of a video, which the act happens so fast usually that there's no time to start it and it seems impratical to constantly be recording your gaming just to prevent spawn killing.

It's not that I'm just complaining either, I've thought about every scenario and how to actually catch people in the act and thatam just hard to do. Most rulebreakers instantly stop just while the GM is around to get away with it. Part of it lies in the actual GM blue name as it really stands out and is noticeable quick.

If it were permitted maybe use dynamic changing alts without the GM blue just to pop in when something is reported. Rule breakers tend to keep going even if other regular players around. This might help more "catching" of rulebreakers. The changing ofc is so people don't recognize you anyway lol
Leone

Post by Leone »

One issue is the ratio of GMs to players. It's an almost impossible task to catch players in the act of spawn/pet killing.

There used to be a group of trusted players called watchers/ watchmen or something. Are they still about? If so, would their witness testimony be proof enough in cases such as those that Cash is describing?
Arashiko

Post by Arashiko »

Yes, the watchmen are still around :D
Arashiko Senior GM (RETIRED )
Now playing again as Arozel.

MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

If it were up to me, every pet killer would be outlawed, and maybe even jailed for a time.
It's really a mean thing to do, especially with real money purchased pets.
But it's not up to me, and my hands are tied.
I don't like the situation any more than the players who lose their pets this way.
I really hate telling them I can't do anything.
If I did, I'd likely lose my GM status over it, and the players I took revenge on would be compensated in some way.
A lose-lose scenario from my point of view.
So, all I can do is give sucky answers, and hope, that players will gang up on these pet killers, and make them not want to do it anymore.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
Blackthorne

Post by Blackthorne »

As a quick note, there is always another spot to go, I have never NOT found another spot to go! EVER!

Sometimes you have to put in the travel time but if that isn't in you, then you get what you get.

If you are leveling on the ragged edge with Mushy and Ogre Halflings, you are taking a chance regardless of how you lay things out.

And I've been there and done that and lost a few OH myself to various circumstances, they are tricky beasts at anytime 20K...sheesh.

BTW, fav leveling pet ever and most frustrating simply cause they pound hard and can die fast ;-)

Take care ya'll.
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

I completely agree. There are always plenty of places to grind. I'm always on the move. I don't stay in one spot for too long.
BOO!:ghost:
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

I don't completely agree, depending on pet selection there's not always a comparable spot to grind xp WITHOUT risking your pets. Not to mention map spawn limits can further limit your choices depending on the time of day. Comparable is key here. I could go grind wolves at start map and still get xp.

This also doesn't solve the problem of the people following you to a different spot which happens frequently until I teach them a lesson that I'm better at controlling the pets, spawn, and npc targeting than they are.

Yes, it's a choice to choose a pet that is riskier for more xp, but that doesn't warrant having to bend over and take it for griefers.

Also, no you can kill mushies perfectly fine with OH and never have them touched. Can actually have 4 OH (haven't tested 6+ yet) and still get max xp for all. Just gotta pay attention.
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

That's very interesting. I have never had any trouble finding a place to grind with any pets I have ever had. Maybe I've just been lucky. Typically if I am grinding in a spot and another player comes along, most of the time I'll leave that map or spot as soon as they walk up to me. I literally move several times in a grinding session. I will usually visit several maps in a two hour grinding session. I really like to grind alone so I am ok with moving. It lets me see what's going on in the FT world.
BOO!:ghost: