Hobbs mine

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Humble_M

Re: Hobbs mine

Post by Humble_M »

Thx Hobbs!
It's good to be the king!
-- History of the World - Part I (1981)

username: Humble_M (Mage)
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

DaHobbit wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:51 am When will it be ready? I'm not sure.

But I'm trying...
1. Like Debian: It will be released when it's ready.

2. Yoda Speak: No try, DO!

I'll wait patiently, would rather quality release vs "ho hum" release - my quest book isn't going anywhere

PS: Ya need a noob tester --- I'll die in the mine for the cause!
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

LostKnight wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm
There is a special group for play testing - I'm not in it, as I don't like the surprised ruined.
However, if you are in fact interested, it may be possible.
I know facebook is used, but I'm not sure if it's required.
DaHobbit or ardesia may be able to tell you more; you could send one of them a PM about it if you're serious.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

MadMikael wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm
LostKnight wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm
There is a special group for play testing - I'm not in it, as I don't like the surprised ruined.
I was half joking. I read somewhere about the testing group, I'm not a part either. Maybe someday

Think I'm like you, a bit, I like to discover ... although I am not against asking for help when stuck. :D
I am always AFK!
DaHobbit

Post by DaHobbit »

Testers are very important! I think almost more important that the developers. If I put together a huge update, and it has tons of bugs and issues, it will be more frustrating to players than if there was no update at all. I could have had huge intentions, and tremendous efforts - but if it is full of problems, the problems that the players will face will soon outweigh anything good about the update.

I am not a programmer. But I have been playing RPG games since I was young. I made a basic RPG game back in 1985 on the computer. I love the concept and love that I am able to bring my ideas to the FT public. But because I lack a lot of the necessary computer skills that many have these days, I can only plug away with what I know. I must rely upon the testers to try every angle of the update. After extensive testing, and fixes, the update should be released to the public as something very fun and enjoyable. On my own, I cannot do this. I rely very heavily on others to help me put my ideas into quest files, and to test the coding once I'm finished.

3 of the clan maps were made by me, and map 4.0 was also made by me. None of those would have been released if we did not have map testers.

If you are good at testing a program - finding the weaknesses/holes/problems with coding - we would love for you to try to help us.
DaHobbit - Game Master (GM)
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

DaHobbit wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 pm If you are good at testing a program - finding the weaknesses/holes/problems with coding - we would love for you to try to help us.
Not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said a "noob tester" like:

go into the cave ... do what a player would do and see if it works.

But code: (sorry T) "It's all Greek to me!"
I am always AFK!
MadMikael

Post by MadMikael »

LostKnight wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 pm
DaHobbit wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 pm If you are good at testing a program - finding the weaknesses/holes/problems with coding - we would love for you to try to help us.
Not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said a "noob tester" like:

go into the cave ... do what a player would do and see if it works.

But code: (sorry T) "It's all Greek to me!"
I see a few basic form of testers.

Those who will do extensive testing, trying every option available, and seeing what they come up with.
These are rare, and sadly, most of this type would rather find bugs for their own use.

Then there's the average joe tester - kinda like when a movie maker shows a movie to a test audience - they want honest reactions.
Basically, these guys won't find all the bugs, but they will find the parts that are too hard, or confusing.
Their questions in the test process give hints to the designer - if the tester says "ok, now what do I do?", then something needs to change to give a hint or direction.

Then there's the bare minimal guy, who will just go and see if things seem to work like they should - really just a quick test, and typical of the guy designing in many cases.

There is room for all types of testers.
The more testers we have, the more likely something will get found.
RETIRED [GM] - Game Master

Please contact GM Inbox for help if you need it.

⬇️ GM Inbox contact link ⬇️
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=9711
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

YES, YES, YES! Always need people to test... like Hobbs said, a faulty update is often worse than no update at all
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

blitzcraig wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 pm YES, YES, YES! Always need people to test... like Hobbs said, a faulty update is often worse than no update at all
Not "is often" ... I would say "is always" ... OK, I'm like Mike, but let's put that aside, pricked my finger, got the blood drop, where do I sign?

May as well, since getting stingers from your cousin's on the island, are about as common at chicken teeth! And a BAD BAD place to level too! So much for the tavern quest.
I am always AFK!
Ryaca

Post by Ryaca »

I would like to volunteer
BOO!:ghost: