I'm not a melee character

You found a bug? Post it here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Cashew

I'm not a melee character

Post by Cashew »

Every time I switch targets as an archer, it tries to "force" me to go touch then before I can attack. (Autowalk)

I ain't using a sword/axe/club, I'm using a bow. If I WANTED to have to get up close and personal, I'd use a melee style character.

This can be easily replicated at any given time, just try using fire arrow on multiple targets in a group.

I can see 2 ways to fix this, one easy and one hard.

The hard way, make all melee characters force auto walk about 8 tiles away, then come back into melee range to resume attacking. At the same time, make mages have to go and "touch" every single target before their spells will work against them. Meaning they'd have to walk around and perform a successful melee touch on every single monster in a swarm before their attacks will even start working against them.

Or the easy way; let me use my bow like intended, from a distance. Cut that autowalk out.

There's absolutely no reason my character should be trying to be autowalk and touch an enemy, my class is supposed to use attacks from an distance.
Ryaca

Re: I'm not a melee character

Post by Ryaca »

Agreed.
BOO!:ghost:
MadMagus

Post by MadMagus »

I think, if you just hit the action (attack) button, you won't move?
You can't select your target, but...
You can't anyway.
You select your target, then hit attack, you'll attack the nearest according to the targeting algorithm.
It's easiest to view with a melee; surround yourself with mobs; you'll always attack on the left side first.
With ranged, the same algorithm is used, it's just a little more complex, as the range is increased.
But, if you sit on an autospawn and attack, you'll notice you always attack in the same areas first.

Really, an option to select targets properly is needed.

Take for example, Silverwood Field, map 3.1
There's a trapper that spawns there every so often.
If you're the average level there, when he appears, you want to make him a priority target.
Not always easy when your avatar wants to target everything else.
So, most just run to the guards if they're not strong enough to tank him.
You called me strong, you called me weak
But still your secrets I will keep
You took for granted all the times I
Never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head, if
Not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground
naughty_boy

Post by naughty_boy »

agreed . my opinion is it that some commands of this game programmed from Offline version,( it has sword only as far as i knew ) how ever, fo some places that u just need to fire, u can park ure pet/sieg 2 step far from u, then u will go behind pet/sieg and when u make mob target , ure archer will stop moving after 2 steps, cus you're pet/sieg block it :)
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

MadMagus wrote:I think, if you just hit the action (attack) button, you won't move?
You can't select your target, but...
You can't anyway.
You select your target, then hit attack, you'll attack the nearest according to the targeting algorithm.
It's easiest to view with a melee; surround yourself with mobs; you'll always attack on the left side first.
With ranged, the same algorithm is used, it's just a little more complex, as the range is increased.
But, if you sit on an autospawn and attack, you'll notice you always attack in the same areas first.

Really, an option to select targets properly is needed.

Take for example, Silverwood Field, map 3.1
There's a trapper that spawns there every so often.
If you're the average level there, when he appears, you want to make him a priority target.
Not always easy when your avatar wants to target everything else.
So, most just run to the guards if they're not strong enough to tank him.

You can switch targets in the middle of fighting by simply "targeting" them (tapping them, then hitting the crossed swords"

After doing that, the archer class starts to "autowalk" towards that target, and will not attack until standing right next to them.

The goal is not to move when you switch targets, you switch targets using fire arrow to deal that 30% damage to multiple targets in a single activation rather than just one.

With melee it's actually easier, you don't have to target just use joystick to change position, then hit the weapon/attack button.

Archer is unreliable, (switching targets) forces autowalk unless you switch, attack/start autowalk, move one space with joystick to stop autowalk, then attack again. Other option keep yourself constantly surrounded and you can't move, even a tiny gap your archer to walk.

I consider it a bug, ranged characters should not be forced to melee combat.