Xp total not advancing

You found a bug? Post it here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Melkor

Xp total not advancing

Post by Melkor »

Hi I've noticed that the Xp needed for the next level isn't advancing when I level up. Isn't it supposed to increase by
650k each time.
SellSword

Re: Xp total not advancing

Post by SellSword »

There is apparently a point where xp needed for the next level stops increasing. Here's a post from madmaniacal1 with more info, but he mentions around the 3300 level it happens.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16534&p=108469&hilit=Capped#p108469
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
terminator

Post by terminator »

^^, I think that it should be fixed personally with 2 steps.
1. Remove the current 2.14b cap and make it 100 Trillion XP Cap
2. Reduce all players over level 3378 based upon what level they would have been if their was no xp cap (Excluding Payment levels)
I can assist on making the formula for this if needed.
Terminator-2000+() archer
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
My quest is to promote the future and prevent ill history from repeating itself.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

terminator wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 am ^^, I think that it should be fixed personally with 2 steps.
I'd suggest taking a look at the link below, which is referenced in madmaniacal1's post. The suggested change is pretty simple just uncapping the xp limit.

The opposition has been... vocal, which is probably an understatement. That's just for uncapping the xp, because "other people benefited so I should be able to also" logic. I think taking away levels would likely be met by an angry mob. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15605
terminator

Post by terminator »

SellSword wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:10 am
terminator wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:45 am ^^, I think that it should be fixed personally with 2 steps.

The opposition has been... vocal, which is probably an understatement. That's just for uncapping the xp, because "other people benefited so I should be able to also" logic. I think taking away levels would likely be met by an angry mob. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15605
Its not taking away levels, it makes it so no complaining. It makes it so people would be the level they should have been with no cap. No one lost levels so there is no complaining.....My first step is what madman introduced, with a solution that it creates fairness. Lets say im lvl 5000 now, im not going to calculate it, but let just say the total xp you got was only worth about lvl 4000 in uncapped xp. So players no matter when they started would be on the same playing field
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
My quest is to promote the future and prevent ill history from repeating itself.
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

Term. The problem with your "xp rebalance" idea is that it doesn't take purchased levels into account, and those work irrelevant of experience required. That's why i never pushed for such. The work involved in finding out which hyper-lvl accts got how many purchased levels over their (typically substantial) FT play career would rival the "trade bug abuse" case in GM workload. Not a pretty thought, given how long THAT took.

My suggestion was this: change the cap from a single unsigned integer (2.147b approx) to a double unsigned (9.1 quintillion) and not have to worry about it anymore. The opposition DID in fact have the "they did it so i should too" mentality, as SellSword described. However, they failed to realize that those hyper lvl players keep getting stronger at a faster pace, bc the exp req doesn't increase while player strength does. A linear growth pattern becomes hyperbolic...
Omnes Autem Uri
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

This seems to be an issue best solved around six years ago before it was an issue. Personally, I think it should be changed because the reasoning of "we didn't think it'd be an issue, but now that it is we'll ignore it"is pretty lousy. People complaining about others getting benefits they won't is like early players complaining about how easy it is for newer players to level with pets and quests. Lots of things change though.

Any sort of level recalculating or whatever one wants to call it would be a tough sell as well. Like madmaniacal1 mentions it'd be difficult to figure out, but even assuming that's not an issue you'd still have the battle against perception. Anything that causes a level 5000 to become a level 4000 or whatever would be seen as "taking away," regardless of how it's explained. Knowing someone else was 5000 and seeing them at level 4700 because of level buying would still be viewed as a great injustice as well.
terminator

Post by terminator »

madmaniacal1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:55 am Term. The problem with your "xp rebalance" idea is that it doesn't take purchased levels into account, and those work irrelevant of experience required."
The first part of the formula is to remove the purchased levels and referall levels from the whole amount, then reduce all the rest of the levels because they were grinded. At the end add back the purchased and refferall.
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
terminator

Post by terminator »

SellSword wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 pm This seems to be an issue best solved around six years ago before it was an issue. Personally, I think it should be changed because the reasoning of "we didn't think it'd be an issue, but now that it is we'll ignore it"is pretty lousy. People complaining about others getting benefits they won't is like early players complaining about how easy it is for newer players to level with pets and quests. Lots of things change though.

Any sort of level recalculating or whatever one wants to call it would be a tough sell as well. Like madmaniacal1 mentions it'd be difficult to figure out, but even assuming that's not an issue you'd still have the battle against perception. Anything that causes a level 5000 to become a level 4000 or whatever would be seen as "taking away," regardless of how it's explained. Knowing someone else was 5000 and seeing them at level 4700 because of level buying would still be viewed as a great injustice as well.
Yes it brings change. Every change brings complaining. If one wants to make a fair playing ground were 1 lvl has the same value to a 20k as it does to a lvl 200, they have to make this rebalance change. The only reason for this reducement is because it makes it so it erased the unfairness from history like it never existed
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
terminator

Post by terminator »

madmaniacal1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:55 am Term. The problem with your "xp rebalance" idea is that it doesn't take purchased levels into account, and those work irrelevant of experience required."
The first part of the formula is to remove the purchased levels and referall levels from the whole amount, then reduce all the rest of the levels because they were grinded. At the end add back the purchased and refferall.

Also, there must be a server log of all purchased levels somewhere. Would just need a program to sort out for levels used on players and tie that in with the list of all players and levels.
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf