Add commas to trade

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Blackthorne

Re: Add commas to trade

Post by Blackthorne »

I find this one utterly baffling. It might be that I'm not a programmer but when you're dealing with really big numbers and you're trying to avoid confusion and errors, it seems odd that a 1000 separator (,) format was left out.

I will gladly add as many ++++++++ as needed to get this changed.

I had a clan member tonight add a billion to the clan (1,000,000,000) or 1000000000 and I had to squint and double check then finally went to the clan funds having known what was there and reasoned it out. That seems like a lot of unnecessary work and what's more...it took away from the moment! That might have been the worse part of it.
Leone

Post by Leone »

I do like this idea and blackthorne's post perfectly illustrates the need for a rethink. However, I'm afraid I'm going to throw a bit of a spanner in the works.

Although English is the most widely used language in the game - certainly as far as the forum goes at least- we have FT players from all over the world. The use of the comma and decimal point in numbers can vary from country to country and I'll give an example to demonstrate.

I wish to pay four thousand five hundred gold for an item.

I would write either 4500 or 4,500 (I'm from the UK).

Some countries would write this as 4.500.

I write the number 42 point seven as 42.7. Some countries write 42,7.

Look this up if I've not made my point clearly enough!

I'm certainly not dismissing the idea but if players from certain countries have used a different system all their lives, they may find it challenging...

...or maybe not! It'll be good to read other people's thoughts.

EDIT: just had another thought. How about inserting spaces rather than commas? So:

Forty five stays as 45
Four thousand five hundred is 4 500
Forty five thousand is 45 000
Four and a half million is 4 500 000

...and so on?
Blackthorne

Post by Blackthorne »

Leone wrote:I do like this idea and blackthorne's post perfectly illustrates the need for a rethink. However, I'm afraid I'm going to throw a bit of a spanner in the works.

Although English is the most widely used language in the game - certainly as far as the forum goes at least- we have FT players from all over the world. The use of the comma and decimal point in numbers can vary from country to country and I'll give an example to demonstrate.

I wish to pay four thousand five hundred gold for an item.

I would write either 4500 or 4,500 (I'm from the UK).

Some countries would write this as 4.500.

I write the number 42 point seven as 42.7. Some countries write 42,7.

Look this up if I've not made my point clearly enough!

I'm certainly not dismissing the idea but if players from certain countries have used a different system all their lives, they may find it challenging...

...or maybe not! It'll be good to read other people's thoughts.

EDIT: just had another thought. How about inserting spaces rather than commas? So:

Forty five stays as 45
Four thousand five hundred is 4 500
Forty five thousand is 45 000
Four and a half million is 4 500 000

...and so on?

I was thinking of the space system as I was reading your post because you make some valid points. I agree that a simple space to separate groups of thousands would work just fine.

I assume anyone would appreciate reading 1 000 000 000 over 1000000000. Now maybe I'm wrong. If I am and you are that person, please PM me, I'd love to discuss it ;-)

But then again the msg might read....Hi,Idisagreewithyouonseperataingthousandsusingaspace......haha

Take care ya'll.
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

Blackthorne, this is one of my favorite posts ever :lol:
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
generous11

Post by generous11 »

+7 :lol:
super arch "1227"
super axe "111"
generous11 "110"
super club "178"
super sord "84"

Clans: [SK], [ryo]
"Never say never!" :)
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

I don't care if it's spaces, periods, commas, whatever it's just annoying to squint constantly and have to count the numbers multiple times to be sure.

Also, just like the game is translated into different languages I'm sure the numbers could be as well.

If that really is an issue I'd rather it be spaces than nothing lol.

That, or shorten it to current stacks. Instead of 100000000 or 1000000000 it'd read 100k or 1000m respectively.

Anything is better than having to count that many zeroes close together.