2nd World with rebalanced pvp, an no micro-transactions

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

darkbow

2nd World with rebalanced pvp, an no micro-transactions

Post by darkbow »

So it's no secret to anyone that forgotten tales is a very different game than it was a few years ago (when I started playing) for those of you that don't know me my name is Darkbow I've been playing FT since about 2010 or 2012, back when there was about 8 maps and the highest level was hammer at level 80. I've witnessed many changes some good some not as great, I grew up playing this game. I'm now 20 so this game was where I spent alot of my time as a teenager, and for the most part I've stayed back and watched on. And quite frankly the game is a far cry from what it was. The community is toxic, the mods or GMs are scarce, almost non-existent, pvp is all sorts of broken and unbalanced.

This game has always been heavily based on farming and that's understandable, it's an MMORPG I expect to have to grind, and a few years ago that was okay you could farm and fight, get into a clan, do some pvp, make some gold etc. But now what in the hell is the point of farming? Honestly let's look at it, people farm to get stronger and have more fun in the game, by participating in the other multiplayer aspects no the game, like clans, pvp, building, all of those things are now virtually impossible to do without investing SIGNIFICANT amounts of either time or money. Let's actually take a look at just how much time that is. Let's say you need to be level 1500 to even enjoy the multiplayer aspects (which isn't even true, as I'm sure you know there are level 3000 - 11000+ players so 1500 isn't really relative but for the sake of this hypothetical we will use it) So level 1500, my Archer is currently 218 and takes 97 million exp per level. If we take that number (97m) and multiply that by 1,382 (the number of levels needed to reach 1500) we get 134 billion, that's 134 billion exp needed to hit level 1500 (the realistic number is more because exp required per level actually increases everytime we level up) let's say that we can get 15million exp in an hour, (remember this number is relative to our level) we divide 134b by 15million and we get 8,933 hours! Or non stop farming not taking into account the time to heal or if we die or shop runs. That's 372 days. 372 days of non stop farming to reach level 1500. The actual number is even higher!!.

Yet there are people who have bought thousands of dollars worth of levels and have skipped all that, and in doing so have made the game far less fun for others involved. Like me. And many others. If your game requires players to farm for 372 days straight, non-stop just so they are not easily deleted by pvping or joining a clan than I think something is wrong with your game.

So since it's not fair to take away levels that players bought, I suggest we make another world, a world where people like me and probably you don't have to farm for a year to have fun, where everyone starts fresh and the only way to get ahead is by earning it. Of course there would remain the main world with it's micro-transactions and all that jazz, but now there would be the option for a 2nd more vanilla world, with of course rebalanced pvp (I'm looking at you melee freeze spammers) reworked pvp areas, and more importantly no micro-transactions, no buying thousands of levels to get ahead, just good old fashioned grinding, and honestly if the GMs or creator care about their game they should want the same. If you made your game to make a bunch of money, well hats off to you good sirs you have reached that goal, and continue doing what your doing until the only people who play your game are the one who can't afford to stop playing, but if your here for the community and to make a great game that people want to play, and want to spend time on, then I would suggest you consider this heavily, I remember what this game was and how amazing it was to play, and I honestly believe that it can be that again. Hell give me the source code and the tools and I'll make it myself, I'll even host/ pay for the server needed to run it.
~Darkbow
SellSword

Re: 2nd World with rebalanced pvp, an no micro-transactions

Post by SellSword »

I don't disagree. That's my personal opinion there.

Now, from a business perspective it's unrealistic that the owner/developer doesn't do things to earn income or at least cover expenses. People like free games, hate annoying ads, and want all they can get without paying for anything, and that's true for whatever game or app there is out there. That's just not a realistic business model, whether online or not.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

I agree with much of your post, but I do feel the need to offer some contrary thoughts ;)

First, your math above is technically correct, but not properly applied imo - couple things I'd look at differently
> at level 200+, you should be capable of around double your estimate of 15 million xp in an hour
> double that again if you add pets
> you say that it'll slow down as you level up, but you'll be able to gain xp faster as well, so gaining levels actually can come faster as you increase level (I don't like it either lol, but that's how it is in FT)

Second, there's just no way that PvP is more imbalanced now than when it was first introduced in 2012 or 2013 or whenever... I know it's not perfect (nobody has offered more ideas to "fix" it than I have lol) but it's much, much more balanced than before - no contest

Anyway, I'm totally with you in that I too still love the idea of a separate server for no level (or pet) purchases, though I'd be very surprised to see it realized
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
Leone

Post by Leone »

It was 2013 and the game has indeed changed significantly since then.

Let's not forget the number of quests and the better gear that's around now compared to back then. It's much easier to level now with those as well.
hungry_wolf

Post by hungry_wolf »

In one point we should all agree : playing cannot mean a compulsive leveling just to be able to survive or make own businness; unfortunately a math-based environment does not allow
a wide choice
Sword dislike sieging - hungrywolf
Dwarf dislike mining - tarvos
Archer dislike crafting - matcauthon
Ogre dislike fishing - heimdall
Mage dislike magic - ogonbat

Member of Ignobili of Ft

Duke of dead clan FTFR
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

blitzcraig wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 am

Second, there's just no way that PvP is more imbalanced now than when it was first introduced in 2012 or 2013 or whenever... I know it's not perfect (nobody has offered more ideas to "fix" it than I have lol) but it's much, much more balanced than before - no contest
i disagree.
classes are much more balanced yes.

but in the old days there was no way another player could kill you in a few seconds. most strength differences were because a higher lvl could use better gear.
yes he had enough stat points but with lvl differences of a few 100 to 1k he could not go 2k dex and still have enough strength and armto kill you in seconds.
so as a defense as melee or archer against non mages you could go high dex. if the high lvl couldnt hit you he wouldnt do dmg. if he went high Dex he didnt have enough dmg to kill you fast and you had a chance to escape (by logging, freezing, running).
allowing accounts of 2k or more lvls higher to attack the 2k lower the game reduces his survival chance to 0.
that is definitaly more unbalanced then him having a chance to escape.

yes this is mainly true for clanned players and you can play unclanned.
but the social aspect is important and instead of offering social options to unclanned players (like friend talk orguild which allows guild talk in groups but no buildings)
the social interaction options for non clanned are even more limited by no longer being able to msg to those not on friend or clan list.

there are different reasons to play a mmorpg.

some play it to test their pvp skills against others. this can be done in ft if you are within a certain lvl range of eachother.

some play it for the social aspect and spend a lot of time talking, doing politics etc.
only option is to clan up so
this can only be done if ypu either rich and high lvl, stay in your city or are prepared to get killed a lot and loose your gear.

some play it to work together with others to a certain goal. again clan is needed if that group is more then a few.
i.e. prepare to die and drop unless you are rich.
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

1000% agree with darkbow. the actual numbers and how easy it is to lvl is not important as long as you can be killed and your gear taken in a few seconds by someone armed with a credit card..

i definitaly would join the vintage server (and woyld be willing to pay a monthly fee if that was needed.
blitzcraig

Post by blitzcraig »

yes, I was talking primarily about balance between classes - fine point 👍 - I agree about most of the issue as you present it here, with the exception of mages, even being the same level or somewhat below was insanely OP for quite a long while lol... less than 5 second death was no rare thing at all 😜
Beeware the Spiral Blitzbees...
⬜ 💣 🌏
hungry_wolf

Post by hungry_wolf »

i could try to join a different world too, but this is not the point.
i invested here, i don t want to runaway. i want change THIS ONE.
Sword dislike sieging - hungrywolf
Dwarf dislike mining - tarvos
Archer dislike crafting - matcauthon
Ogre dislike fishing - heimdall
Mage dislike magic - ogonbat

Member of Ignobili of Ft

Duke of dead clan FTFR
rearrow

Post by rearrow »

@blitz. onmages. i do agree but there werent as many and most were not actively hunting and keeping dropped gear all the time. those who did were shunned pr hunted by the rest.
As iv said before, the dying fast isnt the biggest problem. its loosing the gear you worked for for months. high lvls are encouraged and rewarded for killing low lvls.
Iv proposed this before but il try again.
if lvl difference of attacker more then 500 higher. victim will not drop gear. killing in clanwar will still be possible
but it takes away the insentive to hunt low lvls for their drops..