Bring back old map borders

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

LostKnight

Bring back old map borders

Post by LostKnight »

Suggestion and new idea: PLEASE: Bring back old map borders.

We lost the old zoom and fly like a bird look.
OK, I understand that the new coding engine couldn't handle it and we got back a piece of it. Liveable, tougher in mazes but liveable.

But now with the "fake" maps borders we have lost a HUGE hunk of playing field.

- trying to walk around a tree, rock, pond - OOPS! changed maps, AND if you are lucky you don't get trapped by a building, pile of rocks, a forest or some other natural piece of landscape.
- having to "attempt" to cross maps 2-3-4 times before finally getting there is not playing, it's annoying, or
- having 'monsters' pop up in an area WE CAN NOT GO is not fair especially for melee fighters.
→ Full screen size with the fake limit marked on the left: Show
Full_ScreenSize.jpg
While I could have done it with 4 images when I saw that monster spawn in a "Restricted Area" I just had to include that!

So please, Compbatant, reconsider your decision and bring back the old borders.

Now since I needed more images, 4 in total, to show the actual loss of playable area, I made a composite, because I had to cross map borders to find the limits it's not going to look like any complete map in the game.
→ The smaller playing field: Show
Composite.jpg
→ The Group of 4: Show
Image size reduced by 50%
The-Group-of-4.jpg
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Re: Bring back old map borders

Post by SellSword »

I've experienced many of the same issues crossing borders as well. I guess "annoying" is a good description many times as it's not a major issue, but small issues that add up.

What about a mix between the old borders and the new "expanded borders," for lack of a better term. When you walk towards a map border the map eventually stops scrolling, as it has always. What if the map continued to scroll for another 3-4 spaces of black screen? Tapping on the black section would allow you to cross the same as it does with the current version, but it's not a playable area for characters, npcs, mobs, or terrain.

Benefits would be the full playable space as before, plus those who tap to move would still be able to do easily. There would be no getting stuck as you'd enter a map on the playable space border, just inside the black screen border.

Disadvantages... I suppose increasing the effective map space and not being able to see where you're tapping on the black.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but thinking about a middle ground of sorts as an option.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
compbatant
Site Admin

Post by compbatant »

The borders were increased because of stupid notches added to phones. Blame Apple and other companies which started adding this stupid idea to their phones.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Black space is EXCELLENT... is would mean anyone hiding under a button would show up.

Much better idea SS! I like it.

Disadvantage: None - hitting the black space is still walking to the edge.
I was always AFK!
El.Menda

Post by El.Menda »

Yo también prefiero el viejo cambio de mapas. Este nuevo es trabajoso de cbiar de pantalla a pantalla ...
ryaca_

Post by ryaca_ »

compbatant wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 pm The borders were increased because of stupid notches added to phones. Blame Apple and other companies which started adding this stupid idea to their phones.
Likes this comment.
El.Menda

Post by El.Menda »

Ah vale!

Yo por fin deje de usar iOS
Y empecé a usar ANDROID.
Muchísimo mejor, nada que ver. Pero éste no es el tema.

Mi opinión: prefiero bordes antiguos
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Could not agree with you more El.Menda.

Android, Windows and Linux users have to suffer because of Apple.

I say bring back the old borders and let iOS users suffer and let them complain to Apple!

Also I have come across NPC's that spawn in the fake border area. And that is annoying as 773H!

@ Compbatant - what exactly do you mean by: notches? A screenshot would be good.
I was always AFK!
Humble_M

Post by Humble_M »

This is a notch:
: Show
2.jpg
2.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
As an iPhone 7 user, I don't have a notch. Still, the notch represents a small area and if the original border was restored, players would just have to deal with it. No reason to make other platforms suffer
It's good to be the king!
-- History of the World - Part I (1981)

username: Humble_M (Mage)
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Humble_M wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 pm This is a notch:
: Show
2.jpg
As an iPhone 7 user, I don't have a notch. Still, the notch represents a small area and if the original border was restored, players would just have to deal with it. No reason to make other platforms suffer
So Android, Windows, Linux user loose a wide border edge on all 4 sides for a "notch" that "might" hide something dangerous, in a little piece of the top of the screen, for people using a phone, not just iPhone, that has that notch. Just checked Amazon - iPads do not have the notch nor any other the other "tablets".

I checked 6 pages of cellphones at Amazon, and the number of "notched" phone is definitely a minority but probably will grow in the future. And from the looks of it, it isn't really a notch, they removed the "edges" of the "top" border make the screen "look" bigger and use that space for the battery/wifi/sig strength, etc. They needed to leave a "space" for the camera. Saw one phone that did it right.
→ The good the bad the ugly notch: Show
notches.jpg
Now, we FTers loose 4 edges because of a new design to the "top" of these phones.
This does not make sense to to me.

And lets face it if a "notched phone" user is walking north, they can always rotate their device so "The Ugly Notch" is on the left or right for a short while. Can't count the number of times I rotate my tablets just to see more in other directions.

@ Compbatant - Please, please, reconsider and restore the former map edges.

Rotating a device IS an option we all have.
I was always AFK!