Are you there?

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

LostKnight

Re: Are you there?

Post by LostKnight »

madmaniacal1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 pm
Lestat wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm
rev1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 am it does not appear over my on screen keyboard. i see it only when i leave.
Mine wont show over my keyboard
The keyboard is a separate app on your phone, and FT does not have "display over other apps" or "draw over other apps" type permissions. That is why the keyboard can obstruct it.
On the computer:
I am a slow typer, I do not qualify as a typist, three fingers and two thumbs (for the space bar) and have to look at the keyboard, So I am 100% NOT AFK, I'm busy typing slowly and looking AT the keyboard. AFK popup death while AK. :o

And what's worse with the Linux version it is three mouse clicks to send a friend a msg and during that time we can't even see the game!

Tablets:
No doubt I have a problem. I hold the tablets in my left hand and with a stylist or a single finger, type.

So ...
Once the "friend" is selected, the friend list should disappear, leaving a semi-transparent bar at the top for the typed messages, very similar to the messages seen by other players ... and the game area "above the keyboard" so we have at least a little bit of the game visible while typing.

Having the popup hiding behind the keyboard explains why I got a few logouts i could not understand, I thought it was a WiFi OOPS at time. Could be a combo of both.

I though "the popup" stayed on top of everything. Well, the only time I'll worry about it is if in the log causes me to loose a $pet to a mob or I end up in jail.

I guess the best thing for this is IF the "afk_check" logs you out, make it "instantaneous" - no 11 second pause as if "I logged out" - that would at least prevent loosing a pet to a mob.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 pm Anyone remember their first "Are you there message?" I do I was sitting at home when a mysterious PM appeared that I had not opened. First I looked for the name and I found no sender....Then I saw a message.... "Are you There"....That definitely worried me...I just stared at this message with a question mark ? and saw there was only one option to hit....yes....So i hit it and it went away.... How weird!
I was alone on a map and also typed "yes?" in open chat...
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

I'm sorry, but this is a clear case of my forgetter is getting better.
I am always AFK!
rev1

Post by rev1 »

im slow.
i came back after being away a while. no idea about changes.
after the are you there msg i replied in open chat,
"yeah, im on my way to city"

the second one i replied with "yes, who are you?"
asuming it was some type of name with spaces lol.

then i just got fed up and waited for the msg to dispear if i was grindi

only 2 days later when someone warned me about an afk check did i realise that that was what id been ignoring 3 days. lol
TangledSwerve

Post by TangledSwerve »

I'm all for dis-enabling Afk cheaters who use macros to advance your levels, but this current form of afk check actually has an adverse effect on those who are genuinely playing.

So far, I have been afk checked:

-Whilst on a deathly run from lethal spawn, pets in tow.

-In the middle of typing response to the various messages and chats.

-Playing in general, walking from A - B, casually fighting spawn.

It's intrusive and detracts from gameplay sufficiently enough that a serious rework should be considered. It is a much needed feature, but not in it's current implementation.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Another thing I noticed just yesterday. Grinding an archer at The Library.

Was calling a spawn, got a good number walking towards me and "POP!
Are you there!

Tried to hit attack before responding as I was being attacked at just at that time. Could not attack, had to click the green check first.

I can see pets in danger and players themselves.

Yes yes, the fact you can hit it and it goes away, But it also hides under keyboards!

Spawn comes, I attack, open a /msg and typing to a friend, the popup come under the keyboard.

I have a suggestion. How about a notice at the top of the screen very similar to:
Black Knights attacking Martek ....
Pirates attacking Ashdown ....

And because users might be in their bag, typing a message, running from a mob, etc. Give them a 60 to 90 seconds to respond with a normal chat message, "Not AFK" (in any language). to "Are you there?" OR "afk_check". Or in the case of running from a mob, crossing a map border or "logging" because of being attacked mob/PvP will suffice.
I am always AFK!