Harsher punishment as a deterrent for serious rule breaking

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

TangledSwerve

Harsher punishment as a deterrent for serious rule breaking

Post by TangledSwerve »

Just a suggestion this, but in light of what I can imagine is a fairly significant workload stretched between a handful of staff. Might it be worthwhile imposing harsher punishment, irrespective of first time offence, for certain irrefutable in-game crimes?

A topical example would be scamming: It is a conscious act that and those who partake in it are fully aware of what they are doing. It is literal theft and does lead to permanent account removal in MMO games such as WoW.
Cashew

Re: Harsher punishment as a deterrent for serious rule breaking

Post by Cashew »

I would agree, although most do it on junk accounts and (I assume) use some sort of VPN to not have their "main" account(s) traced back to it.

Idk though, I ain't privy to all the behind-the-scenes info meow ;)

I still report 'em anyway just in case they can be traced and always spray on their attempts in public chat once I know what they're up to so nobody accepts their trade.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I completely support the general idea, even with some issues that Cashew raises. The low level alts are often a problem with scamming, but not all the time. There are other offenses that I believe should warrant harsher punishment too.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

No arguments from me.

Scamming - if we are using that as an example - has been a huge problem in FT for a considerable length of time and there have been several warnings, rule updates and investigations carried out.

I think this thread would be a suitable place to discuss and establish exactly which other rule infringements should be punished more harshly. It will then be a clearer case for GMs to consider privately.
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

Chat abuses, particularly any kind of sexual content, should warrant more than a mute (even perm) and a little jail. Long term (months) or perm jail is my suggestion. There are small children playing this game. I personally wouldn't let mine until AT LEAST mid-teens, just because of infractions i have seen in the past.
Omnes Autem Uri
terminator

Post by terminator »

TangledSwerve wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm Just a suggestion this, but in light of what I can imagine is a fairly significant workload stretched between a handful of staff. Might it be worthwhile imposing harsher punishment, irrespective of first time offence, for certain irrefutable in-game crimes?

A topical example would be scamming: It is a conscious act that and those who partake in it are fully aware of what they are doing. It is literal theft and does lead to permanent account removal in MMO games such as WoW.
I personally would have all accounts be banned if I caught a scammer. Not just jailed. Banned/Deleted. All accounts. However depends how bad the scam. If it was irrifutable and happend a few times, I would go this course of action
Terminator-2000+() archer
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
My quest is to promote the future and prevent ill history from repeating itself.
TangledSwerve

Post by TangledSwerve »

Cashew wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 pm I would agree, although most do it on junk accounts and (I assume) use some sort of VPN to not have their "main" account(s) traced back to it.

Idk though, I ain't privy to all the behind-the-scenes info meow ;)
Not really my intention to discuss the means by which such individuals attempt to mask their activity. But VPN, won't necessarily cover all their bases. Severely punishing the burn account and (Upon investigation) all associated accounts was really what I'm driving at. It's a measure that may prove to be a strong deterrent for most. If they know the consequences will be dire, they'd be less inclined to do so.
Leone

Post by Leone »

In March 2018, the announcement was made that those accounts found to be shared and/or traded would be permanently jailed.

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15261

The rule is clear, the punishment is clear and this thread is a useful way of reminding players.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

terminator wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 pm I personally would have all accounts be banned if I caught a scammer. Not just jailed. Banned/Deleted. All accounts. However depends how bad the scam. If it was irrifutable and happend a few times, I would go this course of action
Scamming a person, be it a lvl75 ring or a 1k plate - is STEALING, and a conscious act.

And jailing for a short time only cause the "perp" (too much C.S.I.) to create a new account and continue.

I've said it before I'll say it again, and again, and again, and again:

PIXELS DO NOT CHEAT:
PEOPLE DO!

Punishing 1 pixel account is just plain DUMB! (IMNSVHO) and creates MORE work for the GM's to find and punish the other accounts they create because they will just keep on creating more.

Saw one player at Map 0.0 last night, his main account jailed and muted, created a new one and was bragging, "So what, I just create a new account." -> main jailed and muted for: language, very bad language.

It is time for this game to get serious about infractions. In the game rules get rid of the "you may be punished" and say: "you will be punished and punished with permanent consequences."

Too long has it been that the cheaters, scammers, pet killers and spawn dragging {cough cough's} have "ruled the roost".
IT'S TIME TO DROP THE HAMMER!
A BIG HEAVY HAMMER!
A PERMANENT "SPLAT"
THAT CATCHES ALL KNOWN ACCOUNTS
OF ANY PERP FOUND!

Give the game back to the honest players!
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.