New Chat Window

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

James142

New Chat Window

Post by James142 »

To help players on phone that have chat cut off frequently due to screen size, a possible way to help would be an addition of a new window for chat, keep the current one, but add another. The new one would only store chat that is said throughout your current session. Not sure if this has been suggested before or not, just tossing in an idea.
The OG Rasta

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”
SellSword

Re: New Chat Window

Post by SellSword »

I believe comp mentioned with the v7 update that scrollable chat windows were a thought for later. Hopefully with all of the other upgrades of late something along those lines would be great. I'm sure most people can relate to a busy map with chat flying by, or maybe comments getting lost among the spam.

I think normal chat that can be reviewed/scrolled would be enough. Maybe an overkill idea here, or maybe something GMs would like, would be time-stamped comments.

01:34:55 SellSword: Buy level 50 bow
01:35:17 James142: Sell bow
01:35:32 SellSword: Price?
01:36:00 James143: I don't know

Obviously players wouldn't normally care that much about the time, but it'd be nice for people taking screenshots or waiting for something to happen at a certain time. Maybe not needed though?
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
James142

Post by James142 »

SellSword wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:56 am I believe comp mentioned with the v7 update that scrollable chat windows were a thought for later. Hopefully with all of the other upgrades of late something along those lines would be great. I'm sure most people can relate to a busy map with chat flying by, or maybe comments getting lost among the spam.

I think normal chat that can be reviewed/scrolled would be enough. Maybe an overkill idea here, or maybe something GMs would like, would be time-stamped comments.

01:34:55 SellSword: Buy level 50 bow
01:35:17 James142: Sell bow
01:35:32 SellSword: Price?
01:36:00 James143: I don't know

Obviously players wouldn't normally care that much about the time, but it'd be nice for people taking screenshots or waiting for something to happen at a certain time. Maybe not needed though?
Time stamps were something I was thinking of, but was unsure if I should have put or not, I personally wouldn't mind the time stamps if we were to get a new chat window. In the new chat window, another idea would perhaps be an addition of separation of chats, global, clan, private. It would be pretty helpful for players to keep track of chats if there is a lot of talking going on.
The OG Rasta

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

From the OP: that have chat cut off frequently due to screen size

Interesting idea, time stamp but would chew up usable space fast ... maybe for get rid of the : and the seconds ...

0134 SellSword: Buy level 50 bow
0135 James142: Sell bow
0135 SellSword: Price?
0136 James143: I don't know

AND have the H|M reflect the "Server" (FT) time
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Space is already limited, so definitely a concern taking up more of it with any sort of time stamp. I could see that getting mixed reviews at best.

I'd like scrollable text of some sort, but there are issues with that as well. Currently you can interact with something behind the text whether tapping on a player/mob or tap to walk. I don't know how changes would impact that. If you tap and drag your finger/mouse/stylus to interact with the text I imagine interacting with the game would be taken away.

Completely separate chats would be interesting. I can see benefits in going to a separate clan chat, but taking away the normal chat could be confusing as well. Like if a clanmate was right next to you and didn't change over to the right chat would you miss what was said?

For private chats would that be a separate chat for each person who is talking privately? That'd be nice when I'm having a conversation with a friend on a busy spawn map, but I could do without private chats from people begging.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Storms7

Post by Storms7 »

I definitely support the idea for a time stamp in chat.
OK MAYBE I WILL USE THIS ACCOUNT EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE
Leone

Post by Leone »

Nice idea. If implemented, I think it should be FT time rather than the player's local time.
James142

Post by James142 »

Ah, yes. The time stamps I mean would go inside of the new window for chat, leaving the current one unchanged. And yes, FT time of course, would help keep clear of confusion in reports and whatnot if using a screenshot.
The OG Rasta

madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

What if we had a relatively transparent window added to backpack which was limited to chat, with a chat bar and with scrolling option available in it (just current session)? You would have to close backpack to interface with everything else (like if you're fishing or accepting a message/trade), but chat could be viewed.
Anyone think this would work?
Omnes Autem Uri
WARBRINGER

Post by WARBRINGER »

Perhaps the best way to solve this is the most simple; Make the chat log we already have slightly opaque, and if tapped a larger, scrollable chat window pops up, if that makes sense ;)
WARBRINGER [raw][Very Hungry Ogre]
BlackBows [rod][Archer]
Echoes :twisted: [Duke of NTL][Sword]
Black Rose [AD][Mage]