Quest Book Enhancement Idea

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

justj99

Re: Quest Book Enhancement Idea

Post by justj99 »

I'd also love to see this. I think the issue brought up somewhere else in the past is that it would be a big data pull to get text for all the quests on the server at each login. And we wouldn't want the app needing a sync every time there was a minor quest log change.
davidjett

Post by davidjett »

From a coding perspective it would be the same as it is now as far as data is concerned, if done correctly. Basically your character stored on the server is coded with a "yes", "no", or "in progress/assigned" tag for every in game quest. So the data is already there. Implementation would just need to show those with the "Quest Completed" flag so that the user could scroll thru their journal and see all those with that flag.
That said, the data transmitted from server to end user and vice/versa should change very minimally, if at all.

But, this is coming from a programmer that didn't program this title and I really do not have a firm understanding of how Comp implemented so I may be completely off base. Lol
David

Forgotten Tales ID - davidjett1

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." C.S. Lewis
justj99

Post by justj99 »

Think of it this way:
Every quest has a "completed" tag on server. If a quest that gives a quest log has been completed, the text and id for that quest log are added to the quest log you can see and transmitted to your game at login. Say your quest is id xxxx.

When another quest, yyyy, is completed, it will have a finish xxxx tag. That tag requires xxxx to be completed, but will also close out the quest log.

Now, when you login, quest xxxx, and the text, are no longer in the player data transmitted to you. It's no longer in your quest log.

Take a look at the number of quests in the quest list and number of logs also there. At each login, all of that data for every quest would potentially be transmitted to you. That's a lot of data!

I'm pretty sure that is not all transmitted now, so I think that's the crux of the issue with implementation, I think.

Despite all that, I'd love to have it as well if it is something that won't be too big an impact.