What is flaming?

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Leone

What is flaming?

Post by Leone »

Just read rules update. I could do a search to find out but I'd like it on here for the record. I've no idea and there may be others too. Please clarify so everyone is well aware.
MadMagus

Re: What is flaming?

Post by MadMagus »

It's a common internet term, but here are a few definitions:
  • Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between persons over the Internet, often involving the use of profanity. It can also be the swapping of insults back and forth or with many people teaming up on a single victim.
  • To engage in an online argument usually involving unfounded personal attacks by one or more parties.

Although, I like this detailed one:

Detailed: Show
Flaming is the act of posting or sending offensive messages over the Internet. These messages, called "flames," may be posted within online discussion forums or newsgroups, or sent via e-mail or instant messaging programs. The most common area where flaming takes place is online discussion forums, which are also called bulletin boards.

Flaming often leads to the trading of insults between members within a certain forum. This is an unfortunate result, as it often throws the discussion of a legitimate topic well off track. For example, the topic of a discussion forum may be "Choosing a Mac or a PC." Some Mac user may post a message gloating about the benefits of a Mac, which in turn prompts a response from a PC user explaining why Macs suck and why Windows is obviously the better platform. The Mac user may then post a reply saying that Mac users are, in fact, a more intelligent species who are not as naive as PC users. This kindles a more personal attack from the PC user, which incites an all out flame war.

These flame wars, also called "pie fights," are not limited to only two people at a time, but may involve multiple users. This causes a swell of negatively within online discussion groups and results in little, if any, productively. Flaming is unfortunately one of the most common breaches of online netiquette. Instead of being considerate of others' viewpoints, "flamers" force their own agendas on other users.

While some flaming is intentional, some is not. This is because users may misunderstand the intent of a another user's message or forum posting. For example, someone may make a sarcastic comment that is not understood as sarcastic by another user, who may take offense to the message. Using emoticons and clearly explaining one's intent can help avoid online misunderstandings. Because of the adverse effects of flaming, it is best to err on the side of humility and be courteous when posting or sending messages online.

And here is the forum rule, current as of this post:
5. No spamming/flaming forums.
Posts may get deleted or altered by staff. Abusers may be punished; even ingame if the abuse was severe.

Like all rules, they come down to interpretation. Context is key, and if the matter resolves itself, it's quite possible staff may see no need to act at all. Subject, and the forum it is in, allows for a little leniency - for example, a little taunting in the Clans forum is to be expected.

While this is similar to the argument rule, it has more to do with language used (i.e. insults) and theme - and I believe, this rule is more focused on those who are trying to promote hostile arguments.
You called me strong, you called me weak
But still your secrets I will keep
You took for granted all the times I
Never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head, if
Not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

wikipedia, in part, wrote:Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between persons over the Internet, often involving the use of profanity. It can also be the swapping of insults back and forth or with many people teaming up on a single victim. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of Internet forums, Internet Relay Chats (IRC), Usenet, e-mail, game servers such as Xbox Live or PlayStation Network, social media services, and video-sharing websites such as YouTube. It is frequently the result of the discussion of heated real-world issues such as politics, religion, and philosophy, or of issues that polarize sub-populations, but can also be provoked by seemingly trivial differences.

Deliberate flaming, as opposed to flaming as a result of emotional discussions, is carried out by individuals known as flamers, who are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation. In modern Internet parlance, this term has been almost entirely superseded by the term “trolling.”
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Gee, kind of like the multiple comments in mChat about other players and how they fared in PvP? :roll:
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
MadMagus

Post by MadMagus »

SellSword wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am Gee, kind of like the multiple comments in mChat about other players and how they fared in PvP? :roll:
Are you referring to those comments that are usually followed with a GM saying "(player) banned for (time)"?
You called me strong, you called me weak
But still your secrets I will keep
You took for granted all the times I
Never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head, if
Not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

MadMagus wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:51 am
SellSword wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am Gee, kind of like the multiple comments in mChat about other players and how they fared in PvP? :roll:
Are you referring to those comments that are usually followed with a GM saying "(player) banned for (time)"?
Those would be "flaming," and the milder comments are just a singe, I suppose.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

SellSword wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 am {snip} and the milder comments are just a singe, I suppose.
singe I like that!
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Lol - singe

Gad, sir. You are a bounder and a cad.

That sort of thing:)
Arashiko

Post by Arashiko »