New AFK checker concerns.

stay tuned

Moderator: Game Administrators

proto_nuke

Re: New AFK checker concerns.

Post by proto_nuke »

I remember a post very long ago in which this exact discussion happened that is happening right now about multiple devices etc.
Ryaca_1
terminator

Post by terminator »

SellSword wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:08 am
Rule 13: Show
Playing "AFK" (Away From Keyboard, i.e. not paying attention to the game and its events, even if for a short time) has generally not been against the rules, but the game has improved enough that playing AFK can be abusive towards the game and other players. Many players purchase pets that are much more powerful than certain spawn on various maps. These players will then park their pets, create an auto spawn, and then go AFK. This type of play is considered abuse of the game for several reasons. Therefore, playing AFK in this manner will result in punishment.
Repeated violations of this rule will result in jail time as well as loss of levels (5% level loss on the second offense, 10% loss of levels on the third offense), and possibly even permanent jail. Using siege weapons while AFK will result in very similar punishments including jail and reduction of siege trade/skill level.
NOTE :: If a GM suspects a player is AFK, the GM will say something to that player. The player must respond to a GM. If the player does not respond, the GM will assume the player is AFK, and punishment will result.
Someone is sure free to tell me that I'm wrong, but Rule 13 starts by stating AFK has "generally not been against the rules" and then proceeds to carve out exceptions that "can be" (note the lack of mandatory wording) considered as abusive.

There are very different categories of being "AFK" under the plain language of the rules. (This is also not a term that can always be used interchangeably with using a clicker, though that could be a sub-part.)

Yes, the rule is AFK WITH PETS. So i wonder if you just stand afk using your weapon it is afk? Idk, not debating here, so fishing on one map while grinding is legal. According to the rules i could be afk all day fishing if it werent for the timer (if i read rules right), but if i look at fishing acct for longer then a few secs, i would be afk grinding with pets, so is fine line of, long as you not afk with pets your ok. I am interested what would occur to someone just standing their clicking a spell once at start map every 3 or 4 mins, doing nothing. If they were punished, nothing in rules say they broke anything, so should they be checked? Because they cant be punished unless they block or something
Last edited by terminator on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terminator-2000+() archer
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
My quest is to promote the future and prevent ill history from repeating itself.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

So you agree... Grinding with pets(or seigeing a clan) on one map with one device while chatting on a second device on a different map would be considered AFK...

Lol...you stepped in it didn't you ???
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
terminator

Post by terminator »

Lestat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 am So you agree... Grinding with pets(or seigeing a clan) on one map with one device while chatting on a second device on a different map would be considered AFK...

Lol...you stepped in it didn't you ???
Indeed i agree with this in a way.

AFK ONLY APPLIES TO PETS AND SKILL LVL UP. So if one char is doing this another char SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO UNLESS ON THE SAME MAP BEING WATCHED (Such as a builder next to his miner, player next to his healer). (I think fighting with no pets is ok since rules say nothing on it lol). If i stand at start talking to friends once in a while, and afk the rest to grind on other acct is ok. (Fishing is not really going to benefit anything, so i wouldnt consider it an afk, unless extremly excissive for an orge).
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
My quest is to promote the future and prevent ill history from repeating itself.
CharlesWalker

Post by CharlesWalker »

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas regarding this new AFK checker. Just One last thought or concern. This is supposed to be a social game and now I'm scared to send my friends messages because I might miss the checker. Or maybe it's almost time for a check and so now I can't shop at a store, sell items at a shop or send a good friend a message. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening.
Fenris the Freya, Finney the Mage.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

Wait a minute..you just contradicted yourself...you can't have both...grinding(lvl up/farming) with pets on device 1 while on spawn chatting with device 2 is AFK.... whether device 2 is gaining anything or not, device 1 is still gaining exp without needing any attention...and according to you and the rules AFK with pets is a violation.
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
terminator

Post by terminator »

Lestat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 am Wait a minute..you just contradicted yourself...you can't have both...grinding(lvl up/farming) with pets on device 1 while on spawn chatting with device 2 is AFK.... whether device 2 is gaining anything or not, device 1 is still gaining exp without needing any attention...and according to you and the rules AFK with pets is a violation.
Its a contradiction indeed. But one that is just not going to be fixed in my opinion.
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

So by default....dual logging while one device either seiges or grinds is a rule violation...
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
terminator

Post by terminator »

Lestat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 am So by default....dual logging while one device either seiges or grinds is a rule violation...
Yes I believe it is. But could argue that looking away for one second is rule violation to. Is a gm watching you in real life to make sure you never remove your eyes from your screen? No, so it wouldnt matter as much, though according to the rules it is violating in a way.
Terminator3-85()dwarf
Terminator4-175()Mage
xMortalZ-227 Dwarf
Cashew

Post by Cashew »

If I watch all of them pop up simultaneously is that AFK?

If I see 2 of them pop up when in a message on 3rd, does that mean I should let the 3rd get auto-logged (because I was in a message) simply because I was at the inventory at the time of the AFK check?

By your example, anyone typing a message / checking inventory or whatever is automatically AFK, because they're not watching for the AFK checker. I've said that before years ago, and others bring it up now (hence me agreeing with the AFK check appearing over all other menus)

I can't speak for everybody using more than 1 instance, but the one I'm grinding (only 1, I don't trust not losing pet or smth if attempting 2+) I'm fishing at the same time (on that account).

Maybe that's where I differ, because I'm constantly checking/clicking to see if I caught any new shinys and don't want them to disappear or to clear dropped items.

I don't mind if it gets taken away, as not everybody has multiple devices / PC capable of running multiple instances, but technically this IS an AFK game (literally click/tap, then watch for most of the content).

And no, I mean the common gaming definition of AFK which I guess could just be described as "lazy" here, since AFK here seems to be basically botting in other games.

I've always admitted to being lazy, and most of the content in the game is lazy content. What's wrong with trying to make it more interactive? :P

No worries btw, I ain't getting mad or nothing :P I just would get bored and not play anymore if I could only play / tap once every couple of minutes on a single account. Let alone not be able to talk to people like I do at spawn.

I'd have to resort to messenger which.. well.. That'd also put me AFK right? Cuz I have to look at something else.

Technically I could still use the in-game inbox (annoying as it is) but there again I'd always be AFK because I wouldn't be watching my character. When sending several messages I could easily be "AFK" for a minute, and literally have had it happen once so far on the AFK checker.

I like the AFK check, and have no problems with it (except make it pop-up over all other game menus). My only gripe is yes, coming after multi-instance. Make the game less lazy and warrant needing 100% attention and I'll totally be on board ;)

You'd have to get rid of pets, auto-spawn, and make every action/skill/attack require input though. Otherwise, the game is playing itself for you, the very definition of lazy/AFK gaming.