Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

User avatar
TangledSwerve
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by TangledSwerve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm

The standard 30% drop rate in PvP seems imbalanced when you consider the number of high level clanned players who dedicate their time to running around ransacking significantly lower members simply for the purpose of getting a drop.

It stands to reason that in order to maintain balance, that if an excessively high lvl clanned player successfully kills, their chance of a drop should only be 30% if their level is within the same range.
As I understand it, there is an algorithm for lvl VS spawn loot drop, so it seems reasonable that PVP should also reflect this.

In addition, the advantage that having balista offers is innumerable (particularly against unclanned) to the extent that a lvl 100 can go toe to toe with 1k and easily deal with several times their own level. A definite advantage that is frequently used to rob non-clanned, but on that note, it seems that this also deserves a lesser drop rate in PVP, as it it effectively gives a protective boost (As if, lvl 100 is 600 or more, if only HP)

Thoughts?
User avatar
Gullander
Posts: 938
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm
Location: Gladsheim

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by Gullander » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:20 pm

Bit off the main suggestion but what do you mean ballistas aid a player to go toe to toe with a higher player? Do you mean a pet fights with the player against another player even if unclanned?

Also my sons who play a variety of online PvP games think the 30% drop rate is ridiculous. In their thoughts to be killed is enough of a indignity not to lose gear too.
Freya- Gullander-Beautiful demi-god
Sword- kensington noble knight
Ogre- puddleglum coffee drinking fisherman extraordinaire
Mage- hieronymus of the cult of Demnos
Fairy- dagstjarna-fair as the rosy blush of a sunrise
User avatar
TangledSwerve
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by TangledSwerve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 pm

Gullander wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:20 pm
Bit off the main suggestion but what do you mean ballistas aid a player to go toe to toe with a higher player? Do you mean a pet fights with the player against another player even if unclanned?

Also my sons who play a variety of online PvP games think the 30% drop rate is ridiculous. In their thoughts to be killed is enough of a indignity not to lose gear too.
Balista solely add an enormous of defensive HP to the owner, provided they stay close - they soak up damage. So, lvl 100 archer (with balista) can dance around flame arrowing a 1k archer (without balista) and survive a tonne of damage. Because they are exclusive to clans, non-clanned players are much easier prey because of the advantage they confer.

I used to play UO, you'd lose everything depending on the shard. Gear, keys to houses (And therefore entire content, stored pets, basically, the house itself.) But there was no instance where someone was so infinitely powerful that someone could one shot and get super easy loot like with FT.
User avatar
Leone
Posts: 4231
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Ashdown Village

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by Leone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Regarding the 30% drop chance adjustment: the more I think about this the more I like it. It's almost like a compromise between those who are perfectly happy (or fully accept) the current clan PvP rules and the opposing view that (for example) level 2k clanned players shouldn't be able to attack level 200 clanned players.

I'm speaking from a personal perspective here, but when I have been in clans I have never been particularly bothered about my character being killed and losing a bit of xp. My worry (if that's the correct word) was losing gear that can sometimes be extremely difficult to replace.

Regarding ballistas - nothing really to add other than I agree with the issues identified in the original post, probably for the very same reasons.
User avatar
Storms7
Posts: 427
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:38 am

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by Storms7 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Leone wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 pm
Regarding the 30% drop chance adjustment: the more I think about this the more I like it. It's almost like a compromise between those who are perfectly happy (or fully accept) the current clan PvP rules and the opposing view that (for example) level 2k clanned players shouldn't be able to attack level 200 clanned players.

I'm speaking from a personal perspective here, but when I have been in clans I have never been particularly bothered about my character being killed and losing a bit of xp. My worry (if that's the correct word) was losing gear that can sometimes be extremely difficult to replace.

Regarding ballistas - nothing really to add other than I agree with the issues identified in the original post, probably for the very same reasons.
Totally agree Leone.
OK MAYBE I WILL USE THIS ACCOUNT EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE
User avatar
Gullander
Posts: 938
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm
Location: Gladsheim

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by Gullander » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks for ballistas explanation. That totally explains a few encounters I've had where they had them and I died without making much headway on damaging them. Since those encounters I view players with ballistas with a watchful eye. You live (hopefully) and learn! :D
Freya- Gullander-Beautiful demi-god
Sword- kensington noble knight
Ogre- puddleglum coffee drinking fisherman extraordinaire
Mage- hieronymus of the cult of Demnos
Fairy- dagstjarna-fair as the rosy blush of a sunrise
WARBRINGER
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by WARBRINGER » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 pm

I disagree - If you don't want to risk losing your gear, then you must either unequip it if you see a higher level player coming towards you, or not join a clan! :roll: I've seen so many posts lately where players are complaining about the disadvantages of joining clans, but honestly, just don't join a clan if you don't want to get killed by OTHER CLANNED PEOPLE! regardless of their level.. :roll:
WARBRINGER [raw][Very Hungry Ogre]
BlackBows [rod][Archer]
Echoes :twisted: [Duke of NTL][Sword]
Black Rose [AD][Mage]
Blackbetty
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:41 am

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by Blackbetty » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Leone wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 pm
Regarding the 30% drop chance adjustment: the more I think about this the more I like it. It's almost like a compromise between those who are perfectly happy (or fully accept) the current clan PvP rules and the opposing view that (for example) level 2k clanned players shouldn't be able to attack level 200 clanned players.

This is what I've been trying to relay in some other messages.I agree

I'm speaking from a personal perspective here, but when I have been in clans I have never been particularly bothered about my character being killed and losing a bit of xp. My worry (if that's the correct word) was losing gear that can sometimes be extremely difficult to replace.

Likes this! Well said
B3lf
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:54 pm
Location: martek's stronghold's bestest bush

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by B3lf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:00 pm

WARBRINGER wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 pm
I disagree - If you don't want to risk losing your gear, then you must either unequip it if you see a higher level player coming towards you, or not join a clan! :roll: I've seen so many posts lately where players are complaining about the disadvantages of joining clans, but honestly, just don't join a clan if you don't want to get killed by OTHER CLANNED PEOPLE! regardless of their level.. :roll:
You are only partly right. If a player cant afford a house (quite a lot, btw) then they have 2 (maybe 3if considering fishing, not into it so dont know) options for getting lv100+ crafted equips: join a clan to make for themselves (and getting killed wich isnt a big deal for most, but lets talk about those who only want to make equipments) or buying from clan members/house owner at a price the seller see fit. /a bit off topic, but consider it an explanation on some cases why the lot complaining/
(Btw, why lv10 for joining and lv20 for creating clan when they basically cant do anything except for heal blocking/gathering?)
Lower drop rate at excessively big lvl difference (everyone has different opinion on this range though) seems a good solution as it wont completely remove this feature, but still removes hunting low lvls just for drops, while not interfering in clan warfare/tactics in any way (if you want to lower enemy strenght then send someone to kill in the lvl range)
Oh and dont forget that quite a phew equipment has ridicoulously low drop rate from monsters, so seems like it would be much faster farming clanned players for them
As for unequipping everything when someone higher leveled than you comes towards you simply makes it impossible to lvl at all (except if you are already at/near the top)
Sometimes time flies like a lead-winged concrete owl.
I didnt see the forest because of a tree.
User avatar
madmaniacal1
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 am

Re: Adjust drop rates in PvP according to Level difference/use of balista

Post by madmaniacal1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:08 pm

B3lf wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:00 pm
(Btw, why lv10 for joining and lv20 for creating clan when they basically cant do anything except for heal blocking/gathering?)
This requirement for joining a clan dates back to the FT Stone Age, when 100 was high level, pets didn't exist, and levels couldn't be bought.
Perhaps it could be time to reconsider those numbers, giben the number of level 10 alts holding clans just to hold them (I'm guilty of this one myself, lol).
Omnes Autem Uri
Post Reply