A Forgotten Tales ABC's

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

Re: A Forgotten Tales ABC's

Post by Gullander »

Variety- Mom I’m bored! There is nothing to do. To which mom replies with a list of potential time filers you can do including work like cleaning your room to which each suggestion you shrug your shoulders and answer “naw not that”. Getting a bit miffed mom finally says “well then just be bored”. Sound familiar? Human nature is like that, and I’ve heard it time and again among players. There are a wide variety of things to do in the game but at times none of them seem appealing. Been there done that. Yawn…zzzzz….same cruddy level….no quests to do…if I see another one of those monsters I’m gonna scream…chop chop chop…whack whack whack…more gold???....wow. So what’s a person to do? Is it me or the game? A lot of people blame the game as getting soooooo boring! I’m gonna take a pretty small leap here and venture the reason is not because there isn’t anything to do but that like our kid in our example we don’t want to. Mom knows best but we don’t want to listen. So I risk offering a variety of suggestions realizing the response will most likely be shrugged shoulders and the response “naw not that!” For you gold, we will always need it so mine and craft or kill and get some. Friends, got folks on your list you haven’t chatted with in a long time…make the move. How about putting your boredom aside and find someone you can help in the game or several people. It’s amazing how satisfying it is to share your items, gold, and experience with others. Make a new friend and take time to get to know them or an older friend who you really know little about. Maybe just maybe if you think about making other people’s enjoyment of the game your variety in play the game will look better to you as well. Mom would be proud I think! :D
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Weapons- These have undergone a lot of transformation over the years. You might call it at present the New Age of Weaponry! Let me give a for instance. It used to be if you were very lucky and crafted long and hard you might get a plus weapon for your efforts. I had a 175+1 sword my swordsman used for a long time (at the time it was range 2 and the 200 was range 1) given to me to use by a Knight now lost. Now I have fished two such swords! (the original hangs over my fireplace in my rock house) But that original was extremely rare for its time. Now plus one and two weapons abound so it is a golden age! As you advance in FT the weapons available change much early on but reduce greatly the higher you get. Since we mentioned the swordsman let’s look at his options. Between 0-10 nine weapon options, 11-20 five options, 21-50 four options, 51-100 two options, 101-200 3 options, then 250, 350, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000 etc. It appears starting at the level 25 weapon a plus version is available through 250 by fishing it, 250 and beyond also through quests, crafting possibilities and enhancements.
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Weird- Weird is in the eye of the beholder or at times in the ear of the listener. What strikes one as odd may be another’s normal. Sometimes it goes like the saying “it takes one to know one” or only a weird person can keenly see weirdness all about him. (I resemble that!) So here goes! It is weird birds always fly left to right or west to east although many other animals randomly move. How come cows aren’t hoarse and quiet after years of bellowing? Its weird pirates abound in FT but their ships are always in port and never sail off. It’s weird you can fish animal heads and pieces of ore or rocks or ingots or teeth or stolen swords or lizard eggs or wolf meat kabobs or spider exoskeletons or weapons or armor you usually have to craft but…can never fish a mithril tool that everyone can use! :o It’s weird that Satan has a heart? :evil: There must be something in the water at Ashdown Village because there are two crazy ladies who live there and a crazy grave digger who is digging graves everywhere even in the road! It’s weird when the guy cutting grass with a scythe at Banktown is sometimes on top of a roof doing it! It’s weird when sometimes going from one map to another you see enemies falling to their death even though you weren’t even fighting any enemies! Oh and let’s not forget about some of FT players names! No offence but some are rather unusual and sometimes the spelling of usual is unusual. Yes if you have an eye to see you will find the occasional thing that will strike you as weird. (Perhaps this whole post) But in my book weird is fun and a good chuckle about it is good for us. :D
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

X-Men- Well we have among those who have played FT a bunch of Superheroes! No they are not mutants or endowed with special powers but they are special and they are heroes as they have contributed greatly to the FT game we have today. First we have compbatant our game creator, he is the reason all of this ever happened and we ever had the chance to enjoy it. And we have the GM’s who have served this gaming community in the past and up to the present. Akkilles, Arachnia, Arashiko, ardesia, AYC, Azok, Blitzcraig, Cleopatra, DaHobbit, El Majo, Enmer, Gandalf, ghost124, Gold Mage, Havoc, Insider, JayG, kawz, Kromelg, kollex, Light, LordSeth, MadMikael, mod_ditto, monstercat, Mornarq, Neon, Nick Mage, 0MSA, Ryaca, rdgtasa, Secular, SilentFire, SoCal, torff, vicbri, and Witch. We also salute those who have served this game as Watchmen. We might mention those enshrined in Ardesia City disguised as 10 miners who are there because they were notable players. We have Golgren, LostKnight, Steffen, Kalou, Cashew, Adam, Kulgan, Junior, Dave and Arty. Our list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the heroes who helped design content and those who participated as game testers. Compbatant, GM’s, Watchmen, notable players, designers and testers you are all heroes! Our thanks and applause!!!!

Now I want to thank some players who have made my FT journey memorable and are heroes to me for a variety of reasons. My thanks to fantasma66 (63,64,65), blackf1sh, mohammadae, Ezatkan, Oso, Ntep, Alone, Narcinovic, Witch, SellSword, L3on3 (Leone) and Lost Knight. Truly any friend is a hero but these have made a particular contribution at some stage of my game play. Thank you one and all!

And to my many “sons” in the game I am proud of you!
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Yesterday- I write this in the hopes of providing a bit of encouragement to FT travelers. For some of us it’s hard not to be nostalgic about how things once were. This game has undergone lots of changes and will undergo more I am sure but it still remains! It has perhaps beat the odds and captured players interest and imagination. It is ok to at times long for and compare present reality with yesterday’s memories. For some they can stretch back to the humble and sparse beginnings and are kind of FT historians. It is a testament that some are still here! But life moves and so does the changes and development of this game. As players sometimes our literal yesterday wasn’t so good in FT. But somehow yesterday always morphs into today which has a promise of tomorrow where things will be different than before and right now. That is the way of it. We are wise to remember this in FT and I dare say in life as well. Yesterday may be enshrined in our memories and rightly so but it is a pillar of stone, a fixed constant, but today is changing and tomorrow is waiting with new vigor to be revealed. It carries us along. Let’s not let yesterday become a weight that drags us down but a foundation upon which to build. I hope that encourages those who may need it in this FT experience.
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

And finally for me, my last entry!

Zander and Zen- There is a guy on map -1.-1 who for two quests has freshly caught Zander fish to sell to you. Evidently this little pond is the only body of water yielding these rare fish! He is a very quiet guy as he tells you to shhh…because you will scare the fish. I guess a questing and brash fellow or gal wielding a weapon or wand might present a formidable customer that might just send the fish swimming to the bottom of the pond. But perhaps there is more to it. This guy perhaps has the best job in FT! One, he gets to fish all day and two he can set whatever price he wants for his catch as he has the only source! The other NPC’s about FT are constantly laboring. You see them constantly walking, or constantly cutting grass, or those that talk constantly on the watch for someone walking by that wants to talk to them. But this guy has found out a way to make himself disappear and his pond too! Maybe he does it with mirrors or mind control but unless you want to stumble upon him he remains hidden letting the FT world walk by while he enjoys his fishing. I think his hushing of prospective customers though has more to do with Zen than Zander. It has to do with him taking the time to reflect and meditate upon things. He doesn’t talk much but I bet he is wise. I envy him, to fish and rarely be bothered and to spend your day meditating upon life. For my part this ABC’s has been part FT travelogue and part Zandering and Zening and sharing a bit of what my meditations have brought to mind. I hope it has been a pleasant thing for you as it has for me. Now like our Zander guy me and my pond disappear for much fishing fun awaits. I bid you peace.
Retired
WARBRINGER

Post by WARBRINGER »

A shame to see the end of your alphabet, Gullander! Been reading pretty much all of your entries for months now, and have been well entertained by each and every one :D
WARBRINGER [raw][Very Hungry Ogre]
BlackBows [rod][Archer]
Echoes :twisted: [Duke of NTL][Sword]
Black Rose [AD][Mage]
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

We can invent new letters maybe? Gull is like the unofficial FT storyteller! :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

A great ending to a fantastic thread:)
WARBRINGER

Post by WARBRINGER »

In one of the taverns around FT, should be an NPC named Gullander - the teller of stories, of hidden treasure and mythical passageways, of tales long Forgotten ;)
WARBRINGER [raw][Very Hungry Ogre]
BlackBows [rod][Archer]
Echoes :twisted: [Duke of NTL][Sword]
Black Rose [AD][Mage]