An FT Tale: King Fear

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

Post by Gullander »

It is a possibility that the Great Bard William Shakespeare wrote his play King Lear during a plague time around 1606 when the play was first performed. In honor of that I have “borrowed” it for this tale during our own pandemic.

Introduction:

It must be remembered from the very first that this tale comes from the lips of a traveling bard. He claims at one time he was the fool or jester of this King Fear. I show him a kindness calling him a bard for often his mind seizes upon jokes and songs and cutting indignations in rhyme. In his more lucid and quite animated moments I have gleaned this story and penned it down. As to its truthfulness I cannot attest, but he speaks as one who lived these things as his tortured life is plain to all.

King Fear was one of three ancient kings, the others being King Scorpion and King Corpse. Each had their own domains to rule. King Fear kept sway over the realm of men, dwarves, ogres, orcs, and fairies. King Scorpion ruled over spiders and all the beasts and King Corpse over all the undead. The stories of King Scorpion and King Corpse will have to wait as they do not play a part in King Fear’s story.
Retired
Gullander

Re: An FT Tale: King Fear

Post by Gullander »

Part One

King Fear now advanced in years is intent on dividing his kingdom to his three counselors who were Sebastius, Bal Muen, and Ascanius his second. King Fears’ power was complete and his realm one of crippling fears. But the millenniums had taken their toll and hunchbacked and getting frail this dominion was to be divided among his most favorite counselors. There may be some readers who are now saying “I thought Ascanius was a good guy?” Well yes and no. Ascanius was responsible for the training of all other apprentices being King Fears’ second. He taught them all the Black Arts as a most thorough and masterful trainer. But unlike his Lord King Fear his closeness with these apprentices tempered his character. While trying to help them both master themselves and the Arts they learned required a kind of care and compassion. King Fear often chided him for his disposition to kindness but could never find fault in his great teaching skill. So even where great fear and evil stood a gentler way had its voice in Ascanius.

King Fear called forth this historic gathering and intended on putting each of his counselors to the test to see if they were worthy of their portion of the dominion. This is where our bard most vehemently vowed he had been there on this day as it was his duty in such solemn times to riddle them with degrading jokes, puns and songs to make King Fear look big and all else small and useless. It might be inserted here King Fear also had a constant and close friend at court whose name was Phobias. Never was there a more loyal friend to the Kings person. Phobias in a way was instrumental in this day occurring. Seeing the decline of King Fear he hoped to uphold his kingly grandeur by relinquishing his kingship to others while his kingly virtues still remained. It must be stated that though these ancient kings like King Fear live very long they are not immortal. Incantations, and spells, and potions can only render undying life for so long. His demise was certain. His reign had been long and as far as evil and fear is measured had been of tremendous scope and success. The day of bequeathing had come and we look in upon the gathered hoard.
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Part Two

KF- King Fear S-Sebastius B-Bal Muen As-Ascanius J-Jester P- Phobias

KF- Phobias let my counselors approach!
P- (Phobias motions to them to come) Hear now what the King says and fear before him!
J- If only he had something worth saying….
KF- Sebastius come here! Tell me what I should hear, to know what I would give to you is in worthy hands.
J- Alas his hands be slippery….behold what Sebast hast, a tongue to lie fast!
KF- Silence Jester! (followed by a zap of his wand which was pretty standard procedure. But if he didn’t say anything he was just as likely to get zapped also!)
S- Oh King Fear, Lord of the evil plot and dastardly deed, I quake before you! Your Evility I salute you!
KF- Yes, yes, and how would you govern a dominion?
J- He can’t even decide what robe to wear! Fancy pants Sebastius clothed with pinions, knows not a domino from a dominion!
KF- (zap zap) (loud cries of pain are heard)
S- Oh King I would follow your example and maintain fear at all times preserving the dominion and utterly destroying any hope that may try to arise.
KF- Well said, you shall deepen the darkness I have not doubt. I am pleased. (nods to Phobias)
P- Now kneel Sebastius before King Fear to receive your reward.
KF- I give you Sebastius one third of my dominion. May it prosper in fear and chaos!
S- Thank you noble King Fear, you shall always be king in my eyes and will find a welcome at my court.
J- Court, smort, can we cut this short? There is a feast awaiting!
KF- Jester!! (he cringes away)

KF- Bal Muen come here! Tell me what I should hear, to know what I would give you is in worthy (glances at the jester) keeping.
J- Peep peep all he can keep, is pillow and bed to sleep! (looking towards King Fear and seeing no reaction he dares continue) Bal Muen is loyal not like a dog, when trouble it comes he hops like a frog!
KF- Jester!! (zapped again)
B- Oh mighty and fearsome King, all the realm falls flat to the ground to quiver before you!
J- Methinks your greeting falls flat….
KF- Yes, yes, and how would you govern a dominion?
J- How indeed one so lazy, to govern is just crazy! (zapped)
B- If I may say in this case King of mine fear not! All the devices you have used in your wisdom to keep this dominion subjected to you I shall also use.
KF- Well said, I believe fear will become yet more increased by you. (nods to Phobias)
P- Come forward Bal Muen and kneel to receive your reward.
KF- I give unto you Bal Muen one third of my dominion. May it prosper in fear and chaos!
B- Thank you oh Fearful One! My dominion shall always honor you as king fear and welcome you to my court.
J- Court, smort, a knife concealed, dishonor sharp will be revealed!
KF- (a series of zaps proceeds…this time he has angered the King)
J- (reeling and speaking under his breath so the King cannot hear) Ah King your eyes cannot know, the horrors upon you these counselors bestow!

KF- Ascanius come here! Tell me what I should hear, to know what I would give you is in worthy hands.
J- O Kingly pet bark I say, your kingdom bone to take away!
KF- Jester!

Something occurred here which would forever change Ascanius future. He knew what was in the hearts of his fellow counselors. In spite of his best efforts to try to get them to conquer themselves before being empowered with deep magic he had failed. He knew well as the power increased so did all their ambition. Even though they pledged continuing fealty to King Fear he knew that would quickly erode and they would let evil run wild in them. That kind streak Ascanius had allowed him to truly see the chaos to come and that he wanted no part of it! He could not be untrue as the others to grovel at the King with falseness on his lips.

As- Oh King, I am here.
KF- Is that all you have to say?
J- The dog the dog his bark is gone!
As- Oh King, those in my charge I have failed
KF- Failed? What!! Answer me now!
As- (he wants to warn him of his other counselors but cannot as he sees the King has been blinded by the others fine words) Oh King, I have done my best but it is not enough I fear.
J- Fear smear I do not hear!
KF- Neither do I! Ascanius you indeed have failed! I have put up with your eccentricities but I see now it was a mistake for you are now against me!! I hereby banish you!!! Sebastius and Bal Muen shall share your portion. Be gone from me!!!
J- The little dog has gone away, and two mighty lions are here to stay!
P- Oh my King, may I speak?
KF- and what have you to say?
P- Ascanius he…..(he is interrupted by King Fear)
KF- He has shown his true colors!!
P- But he trained the others…
KF- Silence!! He has offended my majesty!
P- But….
KF- Nay! You too are banished! Be gone Phobias for you too show now who you are!
J- Yeah!!! More of everything for me!

Sebastius and Bal Muen exchange greedy and evil glances with each other quite pleased with this turn of events.
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Part Three

Sebastius and Bal Muen set up their dominions and as Ascanius had thought with each day they became increasingly forgetful of King Fear who had empowered them. Ascanius set up residence near the ogre dungeon upon the mainland and began to plan and search out how the powers of the other two might be vanquished. Phobias left but worrying for King Fear that his counselors’ deceit would harm him disguised himself as a servant and returned. Knowing the King so well he soon became the favorite servant of the King and was not discovered for his true identity. The Jester we shall see later how he fared.

It is hard to relinquish power whether it be for the evil or the good and King Fear longed to be near it again. He retained his title only as all the real power was given to his two counselors. So it wasn’t surprising that he decided to visit Sebastius’ court remembering the words spoken that he would be welcomed there. As you suspect Sebastius was not too pleased to have this uninvited guest with his retinue in tow including Phobias in his servant disguise and the often offensive Jester.

S- Oh king, you surprise us with your visit
KF- I thought I would take you up on your pledge and visit your court
S- My home is yours oh king
KF- Ah, I will need provisions for all my retinue and accommodations
S- Certainly, you brought your whole retinue?
KF- yes of course (Sebastius took careful note of this)
S- Very well, though I don’t think so much is needed for one who used to be king….
KF- I assure you it is quite necessary
S- Hmmm….yes….my servants shall see to it.

After about a week Sebastius who had been musing upon the fact all of King Fears’ court were with him decided he had enough of this invasion. He began to bribe King Fears’ retinue to leave and it wasn’t long till only King Fear, Phobias and the Jester remained.

P- Your Majesty all your retinue has left!
KF- What? How is that possible?
P- Sebastius has bribed them and sent them away.
KF- No, you lie! (he sees the jester skulking about) Jester you know something of this?
J- Oh King, Oh King, do not zap, your men have fallen for a trap!
KF- A trap?
P- Yes your fearsomeness, Sebastius lied to you laying a trap for you so by cunning words he could gain his own dominion.
J- The dominion to dominoes it flies, honor became a game of lies!
KF- Why I’ll destroy him!
P- With what army my King, I would fight for you if you ask.
KF- What a fool I have been an old crumbling to dust fool! Let us go to Bal Muen he will honor us! And then maybe we shall have our war!

Sebastius servants having overheard much of this discussion send an ambassador to Bal Muen to warn him of King Fears’ coming and that he should spare himself the expense by just refusing to let King Fear enter his court. King Fear was going to find no recourse with Bal Muen!
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Part Four

Upon nearing Bal Muens’ court soldiers were sent out to intercept King Fear and his two companions Phobias and the Jester.

KF- What’s this?
Soldier- Lord Bal Muen forbids your entrance. Be gone you three beggars, be gone!
P- But this is King Fear!
Soldier- Nay only one king here and his name is not king fear! Now go before I unleash a hoard upon you!
Reluctantly they begin to leave and see Sebastius approaching.
S- We leave you your pathetic lives, be gone you three there is no more kingdom for you. Go find Ascanius and form your own colony of losers! Ha ha ha

Sebastius looks up to see Bal Muen by the gate and they exchange once again greedy and unthankful evil smiles.

On the trail to where they do not know King Fear breaks his silence and begins his lament

KF- It’s over, all over, what a fool I have been! Ascanius was loyal but I could not see it my eyes and ears were flattered by lying words! That which I feared came upon me! The pits that I dug for others to fall into I have now fallen into a pit myself! And no way out! And my only friend Phobias I falsely accused! Ah ah ah……so this is what fear feels like!
P- Don’t fret so, look closely my King….look at me….
KF- I do not see…….I never did see…..
J- Gone gone the master is not here, a lost doomed soul no longer King Fear!
P- Do you recognize me, you have to! I am Phobias!
KF- Nay, nay, gone, lost, gone, lost….
J- Three we be without a home, no way for us ever to atone.
P- There is no greater fear than loneliness…
J- Evil days have come but evil days we made
P- Come let us wander forth now until we meet our end. Our King will need us until then.

The Jester was the only one of that threesome to survive. King Fear is gone but his counselors in whom he confided have held true to King Fears’ own words of pronouncement which I now remind the reader of.
“You shall deepen the darkness, and fear will yet become more increased”
That is King Fears’ lasting legacy through his evil counselors. But Ascanius remains to this day the only help for the FT realm.

The End
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Epilogue

I had stated previously that my writing days concerning FT were over but this idea fell into my hand like a ripe piece of fruit off a tree. So I have shared it with you. If you find yourself needing more diversion may I suggest these previous labors.

By myself: Ft Christmas Carol, FT wonderful life, Gobbler, and the story and quest Pearlea.

In collaboration: FT ABC’s, and several Pun threads on such topic as Mithril, mages, clan….
Retired
Leone

Post by Leone »

Love it!

Now what on earth happened to that jester, I wonder?

(As is often the case, the jester/fool is my favourite character).
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I had an idea once that there should be some kind of traveling storyteller in FT. Pretty sure Gull could be the default for that!
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Gull the bard!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

A truly excellent read.

ALL HAIL GULL THE BARD!
The greatest bard in the FT land.

The jester, tell us of the jester, we want to know ....
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.