Hobbs Gold Mine Walkthrough

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

SellSword

Hobbs Gold Mine Walkthrough

Post by SellSword »

Alright, let’s talk Hobbs Gold Mine, or HGM as it is commonly called. I promise there are even pictures to look at! Spoilers too. Like many, many spoilers.

HGM is in the top left corner of Map 4, 0. HGM is supposedly closed for repairs after mining stopped there years ago, but a cursory inspection suggests other reasons it may have fallen into disrepair.

HGM Closed.jpg
HGM Closed.jpg (895.92 KiB) Viewed 5570 times

Well now, you can’t easily say I’m wrong with that one as I have in-game support for the theory!

Anyhow, the HGM quest line starts a bit below the mine. A father claims his son is trapped in the mine. He asks for your help in rescuing his son and bringing him to safety. He and I have some different definitions of “safety,” but far be it from me to question his parenting.

No Place Like Home.jpg
No Place Like Home.jpg (921.74 KiB) Viewed 5570 times

Ah, you can’t enter the mine until level 150. Do that.

You say you discovered that you need a mithril (+3) pickaxe? You also say those things would be nice to know before telling you to enter somewhere? Oops…

Find the kid. It’s a small map so I think you can manage.

Blah, blah, blah… safe in here from the huntresses but better go back to dad the kid says. Go talk to the dad as well and learn all sorts of useful things.

Scroll two pictures up and see that NPC standing outside of HGM? Talk with him. Discover his information falls short of being useful as there are only several hundred dwarfs in the world.

Oh, hey! I’m doing a walkthrough! Go to Ice Cave on Map 1, -2 in that case. Avoid ice gremlins. I’m kidding! You can’t avoid them! Wander around until you find an NPC somewhere on that map. Or maybe the whole picture thing below would be helpful.

Dwarf.jpg
Dwarf.jpg (310.89 KiB) Viewed 5570 times

Now you’re on your way to Map 2, -4 and the fine city of Ardesia!
Last edited by SellSword on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
SellSword

Re: Hobbs Gold Mine Walkthrough

Post by SellSword »

It’s common knowledge that much of the splendor of Ardesia is found in the northeastern part of Ardesia. That is certainly true, but talk about a map with a lot of things going on.

Good idea to check out houses here for some loot. This is an HGM walkthrough so I’m not telling you to definitely check out the church to the right of the cemetery and find some other quests, but I’m also not not telling you that.

Alright, let’s cut to the chase and break out the making things easy map, shall we? We have a walkthrough to get through and such. Oh, you have like loads of gold, right? Just curious for no reason at all...

Ardesia - Locations.jpg
Ardesia - Locations.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5569 times
Map and dot colors: Show
The map above has dots on buildings in various colors. On a more serious note I understand that there may be some colorblindness issues so I’ll try to give a bit of an explanation as well to help out with those things.
Tavern on the bottom? Get to searching around down there as you have someone to find who can help you with this whole finding miners thing! This is represented as the building with the white dot on the map.

Mikael awaits you now! Red dot on the large house on the top, second from the right. He promises that his pet lions are even kind of tame and have not eaten a visitor for at least several days. What’s that? Mikael insists on not working in some kind of a deathtrap and wants an inspection? Well, get to it! This man says “jump” and you do it! This man says “I don’t need to double check my calculations” and you roll with it! Mikael rocks.

To HGM! Get the inspection already! We’re talking about the entry map where the lost kid was.

To Mikael again! He says find miners in the roughly 1000 buildings in town. Wow, that’s a daunting task! If only there was something like yellow dots on a map showing the buildings you needed to check for that… Oh, hey! Cool! Get busy then! These are all of the other dots on buildings besides those mentioned above and the two below. Oh, a segue even!
You want the coordinates?: Show
Yes, I know exact coordinates for all of the miners. I’m just not putting them in here right now! If people complain enough I probably could… :D
While miners are being searched for I’ll point out the green dots that the astute observers noticed. *Insert sound of everyone scrolling up to look for green dots* One of these is about 4 houses to the left of Mikael’s house and one is just up from the bottom tavern. You’ll want to get a quest here that will help out later inside HGM. Nobody talks to you? Get cracking on that missing forge part quest on Map 4, 0 already! Pretty sure I mentioned that part somewhere, and right now totally counts for that.

Huh, you can only get 9 miners and don’t know how to get the third one in the top tavern? He’s in the VIP room if that helps. Not really? You want a walkthrough to explain how to get inside the VIP room? I suppose that’s reasonable.

Ok, fine. Head down to the shipping company at the bottom of the map with the dock on the harbor. Go in the one you can actually enter. Try to enter the door then talk with the receptionist who lets you in. Look around and find an NPC you can talk with. Kind of towards the top right of the map.

Yes, I promise getting this guy’s mother to move to Ardesia is totally related to the VIP room! Just do it already. Yeah, there are two buildings you can enter in Ashdown (three if you count breaking into L3on3’s house while he’s away) so figure that out. Pretty straightforward stuff once you find the right mother.

While they’re figuring that out I wanted to mention that miner Cashew seems so sad. He needs to rebuild his house and has loads of planks around for that purpose so I always feel like helping him out. Maybe that’s just me though.

Trunks for Cashew.jpg
Trunks for Cashew.jpg (897.39 KiB) Viewed 5569 times

Oh, hey, get that mother down to Ardesia yet? Cool! Talk to the bartender in the top tavern to get in the VIP room. HAHA! I’m just teasing you! Get his mother to move to Ardesia too! :lol:

Tell Mikael you finally got all 10 miners and want them to get going right away. Mikael has… other plans… Alright, go to your storage where you keep dozens of mithril (+3) tools, mithril miner helmets, and magic planks. Pretty sure everyone has those sitting around, right?

Guess what, HGM is now open for all of your mining and dying needs!

SellSword: Note to self to mention at the top that DaHobbit was pretty sadistic with this quest line. That should be mentioned before getting into other things so try to work it in.
Last edited by SellSword on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Welcome to HGM!

Map up front!

HGM - Locations.jpg
HGM - Locations.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 5568 times

There is already a map on the forum in the walkthrough section. It has a lot of additional information as well that I won’t cover to keep it simple. viewtopic.php?f=46&p=103330&sid=f95d828 ... 24#p103330

HGM is nine maps of sadistic fun. No, it really isn’t safe for pets. Yes, there are some pretty nasty mobs that spawn here. No, if you’re under level 200 you aren’t completing all of these quests by yourself.

I could use map numbers, but I’m going the simple way here. (Hey, who said lazy!?) I know someone who has an even more detailed map, but we press on for now!

Part of that simple thing is keys. (Whoever keeps saying “lazy” I don’t care how right you are so just zip it!) You going to visit HGM? Just take every key with you that you get and you don’t have to worry about having the right one. We on the same page? Good!

You enter HGM on the bottom middle map. There is an NCP who spawns there around the yellow dot. I’m not sure if you can even make it past without spawning him, so this is pretty easy. He’s apparently been demoted to greeting visitors or something, but he asks you to find the mine supervisor.

Mine supervisor is on the top right map. He’s hiding in a room you can’t get to, but you see an NPC on the left side of the map in about the middle. (Yellow dot too!) He has lost his pickaxe and is really picky on which one you give him. Probably one of the most asked questions for HGM is where these pickaxes are.

Red dots people! Check them out! Top right corner of the top right map is the one you should check out first. It’s a nice gesture, but lost pickaxe guy says it’s not the right one. Check out the one on the top left map. Yeah, it’s a pain to get to but that’s why you have a map up above! Seriously, just tap on everything you can around those red dots.

Why the miner who can’t remember his pickaxe has been entrusted with the keys to get to the mine supervisor is beyond me, but get those keys and visit the mine supervisor in the room nearby.

Mine supervisor wants you to check out the guard one map to the left. That’s the top middle map. The guard is in rough shape which should probably give you second thoughts about this whole mine, but we don’t think things through when there are quests to do. Anyhow, this guard was attacked by blood worms and they stole his keys, so you attack blood worms until you steal them back!

Back to the mine supervisor and report to him that worms are able to grab keys and hold on to them somehow. Also tell him about the guard maybe. That’s bad news, but he’s a supervisor and we all know supervisors don’t do much themselves, so he wants you to find the mine foreman.

Mine foreman is on the bottom right map. (If you guessed yellow dot you’re getting the hang of this! It’s also the only color dot on that map, but I’ll give that one to you.) When you are heading up there stay along the right wall to avoid spawning mobs and make it easier on yourself. Handy to keep in mind if you want to mine mithril there later. The foreman needs some mithril (+3) tools. No matter that you are carrying loads of them because the foreman probably doesn’t like you and wants the mind blacksmith to make them.

I’ve often wondered why the mine blacksmith is on the bottom left map when most others are several maps away. The blacksmith must be investigating the large yellow dot on the floor because for some reason he wants 10 meteor ingots before he’s willing to hand over the tools.

Ouch! Short of getting lucky and fishing a meteor ingot you might need to buy these because the only other way you can get them yourself requires you to be at least level 800 and able to access platinum somewhere else. Not gonna lie as this one can be difficult.

After you get the ingots you get the tools and return them to the foreman (bottom right map). After that visit the supervisor (top right map) who asks you to find the supply clerk. Thankfully, the supply clerk is even on the same map. If you’ve been paying attention you’ll notice that there is just one more yellow dot there so why not check it out?

The supply clerk has fallen victim to a prank. It kind of reminds me of when someone stole my friend’s clothes in college when he was in the shower and he had to wear the shower curtain to walk back to his room, but that doesn’t help us much for HGM purposes. Anyhow… the supply clerk really wants you to check with the Ardesia shipping company.

You all remember the Ardesia shipping company? It was all of one post up from this so I trust that you can figure out where it is and check with them. Get the package and back to the shipping clerk.

Check in with the mine supervisor again. He’s just started to realize how the map is a little dangerous and maybe could stand to have some worms cleared out.

Mine supervisor wants you to kill some earthworms. You’ve seen these mobs around before. Shouldn’t be terribly difficult by this point.

Next up the mine supervisor wants you to kill some regular worms. You’ve undoubtedly come across some of these as well. This is a definite step up on the difficulty level and you can see why people like them as pets.

Next up the mine supervisor wants you to kill 10 ancient worms because he secretly hates you and just wants you to die. You get a special key for this. Make your way to the very center of the center map (black dot) and note the signs that state you’re an idiot for even trying to do this. Maybe bring a friend as you only need the killing blow for the kills to count.

After the ancient worms the mine supervisor gives you the key to the special resources area. This is on the left map in the middle where you see the three white dots. Here you can mine platinum, rubies, and emeralds. Of course it isn’t that simple.

Be careful in the hallway outside those three white dot rooms as some very nasty worms spawn here.

You only need a few more mithril (+3) tools to access those resource rooms. Naturally…

And what of those two green dots on the bottom middle map? Remember the green dots on the Ardesia map? No, of course not. I even color coded them to make it easy! (Not really, I lucked out and realized that they were both green, but it’s my walkthrough so I get to choose the more flattering explanation.) These are shortcuts to Ardesia. The one on the left is for the humans if you helped them with the missing forge part (and got the quest from the human in Ardesia) and the one on the right is for the orcs. You need the quest from the human/orc in Ardesia and get to burn through yet a few more mithril (+3) tools probably to open this up. It’s a great shortcut!

That pretty much wraps up HGM!
Last edited by SellSword on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

[Reserved] Probably not needed for anything though.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Fantastic walkthrough! Thank you. It must have taken ages.
Syor

Post by Syor »

you did an excellent job

I would move this post to "detailed section"
Freya Syor
Sword Syorina
ITALIAN
Italian Ignobili Group Messenger
There is no game without fun
ryaca_

Post by ryaca_ »

I have a player that is saying that he did not get a key for the broken pickaxe quest. It has been a long time since I have done this quest. Does an npc give a key for this quest?
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

ryaca_ wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 pm I have a player that is saying that he did not get a key for the broken pickaxe quest. It has been a long time since I have done this quest. Does an npc give a key for this quest?
You need to get two pickaxes for the miner. The first one he says isn't the right one so you have to get the second. After that second one (they are not regular pickaxes but special quest items) you should get the key for the supervisor office.
ryaca_

Post by ryaca_ »

SellSword wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13 pm
ryaca_ wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 pm I have a player that is saying that he did not get a key for the broken pickaxe quest. It has been a long time since I have done this quest. Does an npc give a key for this quest?
You need to get two pickaxes for the miner. The first one he says isn't the right one so you have to get the second. After that second one (they are not regular pickaxes but special quest items) you should get the key for the supervisor office.
Thank you for the information.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

KUDOS, SellSword, on a job well done.

Here's another tip to help everyone.

EDIT: As noted by Ryaca_ in a following post.
I use both D-Pad and Click (Mouse on PC version) or Tap (Android version) to control my characters.

For this tip I am talking about using the "Click|Tap" option to move.

Here's why:

D-Pad:
- THE GOOD
1. one walks faster
2. pets "actually follow"
3. absolute control and parking of pets

- THE BAD
1. Objects block you from moving
- - you must move position on D-Pad

Click|Tap
- THE GOOD
1. without or "parked" pets - click|tap near the edge and you walk around objects to get there
2. click|tap on NPCs|Portals|doors| chests - you walk to them and interact with them

- THE BAD
1. Pets will sometimes lead, they will walk around objects to get to where you clicked.
2. if one pets gets in the way of the other pet, the second pet stops walking.
2. If a pet gets in your way, you stop walking, the pet keeps going to where you clicked|tapped.

OK back to the unedited post...

Think about other areas of the game.
Some great examples

- day 1 in the game, you need to rescue 2 people in the cave on Map 0.0.
- you see the entrance
- - you click on it - you walk to it, you enter.

- You see an NPC with a clear path to him
- - you click on him - you walk to him - you interact with him.

- see a portal - beside the Pet/Mage shop comes to mind
- - you click on it, you walk to it - BLINK - Banktown

- you see a chest under Silverwood
- - you click on it, you walk to it, POP, you get the item

See the pattern here!
- Without even thinking about it you've been trained since day one in the game.
- you click on any NPC/portal/chest etc in the game ... you automatically walk to it and interact with it.

Now; apply that to HGM:

You walk into a room in HGM, there are a bunch of bookcases, cabinets, tables, chairs, crates, forges, whatever.
- you do NOT need to actually walk over to them and click on them:
- pick one, click on it · · · slight pause . . .
- - if it is something you need to interact with, you will walk to it and interact with it.
- - if NOT, repeat the step above with another object.
- - - until EVERYTHING in the room is touched!

Same deal applies to other places like Ardesia City, King's Garden, the BlackKnights Castle, that would be SellSword's Castle since he's a BlackKnight, and probably any other place that is created from here on out.

NOTE: You must be IN the room, not just be able to see in the room. Unless of course it is a room with no door, because that means there is a clear path. (Orc Shop comes to mind) or mining in the West Cave another place.

So many times I have seen people walk to each individual object and then click on it.

Save time and frustration folks:

Click-n-Pause
Last edited by LostKnight on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.