Moderator: Game Administrators

SellSword

An observation on worthless player reports

Post by SellSword »

Here is the official link for reporting players:
viewtopic.php?t=18931

Here is a short guide from a GM on how to report:
viewtopic.php?t=18404

Based on my observations many of the reports in the player reports channel are absolute garbage. It's a channel for reports though and not commentary, and since GMs continue to chastise people for posting non-report material there I won't include any.

To start, how many pictures of "pet killers" have the accused with a red PvP target around them? That adds many more variables to the situation. It is 100% permitted for me to go up to a player who is grinding and attack them. If that player is tanking for his/her pets and moves during the fight they can kill their own pets with their own spawn. That is not the attacker's fault. I know that reports connected to PvP are a decent-sized percentage of the issues.

Second, it's almost comical how many people report issues on the same grinding spots. If you're grinding right at the entrance/exit of the bacterium map you have to accept that players can come and go and you're in the way. If I walk from the looters map to leave the bacterium map I'm not responsible for just walking across a map. Of course I'll stop for a moment to kill mobs following me, but if I'm literally just walking across the map to get to the exit it's normal game play and that's been discussed countless times. Same as if I race from the mithril under Silverwood and make a beeline to the exit. Not my fault if someone keeps their pets there. Players that put themselves or their pets in these situations can't blame others for regular game play. This is true on open maps, but even more so when maps are limited to one entrance or exit.

And ogre halflings? I'm pretty sure there are several books' worth of comments on that I have nothing to add that hasn't been countless times.

One person's lack of observance is not another person's problem. How many reports seem to start with a screenshot where things are ok and end with dead players or pets? But why take measures to protect your pets when you can just accuse someone of killing them, right?

And if a player doesn't learn why is their willful lack of doing so someone else's problem? I mean, the same player repeats the same situation multiple times and has an issue each time? There are plenty of GM comments about moving to other locations.

And don't get me started on reports that are worthless for their lack of information. In elementary school young kids learn the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" method of providing detailed information. Why can't some players do the same?

I'm not talking about any specific player here. If someone reads this and gets upset that I'm talking about them they should probably take a long, hard look at their reports.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Galbatroix

Re: An observation on worthless player reports

Post by Galbatroix »

Very well said SellSword :)
Galbatroix(swordsman)- The King Of The North
May The Force Be With You
Leone

Post by Leone »

Agree wholeheartedly. Well said.

A must-read for all players - new and old.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Excellent!

Might I add that players that are clanned or are currently outlaws need to take extra care as the attention they might receive increases. It is just common sense to be extra watchful and perhaps even choose less contested areas to grind at.
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Well said SellSword, totally agree.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
J_A_S_U_M

Post by J_A_S_U_M »

SellSword wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 pm Here is the official link for reporting players:
viewtopic.php?t=18931

Here is a short guide from a GM on how to report:
viewtopic.php?t=18404

Based on my observations many of the reports in the player reports channel are absolute garbage. It's a channel for reports though and not commentary, and since GMs continue to chastise people for posting non-report material there I won't include any.

To start, how many pictures of "pet killers" have the accused with a red PvP target around them? That adds many more variables to the situation. It is 100% permitted for me to go up to a player who is grinding and attack them. If that player is tanking for his/her pets and moves during the fight they can kill their own pets with their own spawn. That is not the attacker's fault. I know that reports connected to PvP are a decent-sized percentage of the issues.

Second, it's almost comical how many people report issues on the same grinding spots. If you're grinding right at the entrance/exit of the bacterium map you have to accept that players can come and go and you're in the way. If I walk from the looters map to leave the bacterium map I'm not responsible for just walking across a map. Of course I'll stop for a moment to kill mobs following me, but if I'm literally just walking across the map to get to the exit it's normal game play and that's been discussed countless times. Same as if I race from the mithril under Silverwood and make a beeline to the exit. Not my fault if someone keeps their pets there. Players that put themselves or their pets in these situations can't blame others for regular game play. This is true on open maps, but even more so when maps are limited to one entrance or exit.

And ogre halflings? I'm pretty sure there are several books' worth of comments on that I have nothing to add that hasn't been countless times.

One person's lack of observance is not another person's problem. How many reports seem to start with a screenshot where things are ok and end with dead players or pets? But why take measures to protect your pets when you can just accuse someone of killing them, right?

And if a player doesn't learn why is their willful lack of doing so someone else's problem? I mean, the same player repeats the same situation multiple times and has an issue each time? There are plenty of GM comments about moving to other locations.

And don't get me started on reports that are worthless for their lack of information. In elementary school young kids learn the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" method of providing detailed information. Why can't some players do the same?

I'm not talking about any specific player here. If someone reads this and gets upset that I'm talking about them they should probably take a long, hard look at their reports.
I absolutely disagree with this.Killing pets is NOT normal anyway. Because whoever SPECIFICALLY killed the pet will not return it to you. !
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

J_A_S_U_M wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:45 am I absolutely disagree with this.Killing pets is NOT normal anyway. Because whoever SPECIFICALLY killed the pet will not return it to you. !
I never said purposefully killing pets was normal. People who do so are horrible.

No, the GM team will not return pets.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Lestat

Post by Lestat »

Well, if pet killing becomes too much issue, there's two options available.

First, go back the way it originally was, no pets period. Just player and extra bag.

Second, make pets a bag only. No attack,no tank, just extra storage.

OR....

Learn that pets are half(or less) your level. If you use pets as main killers, only go to areas that your pet can survive. The same rules as character grinding, dex at least 6 more, and enough hp to last more than a few hits.
You are responsible for your pets own safety. There's a mini map to help watch for approaching players, you can control spawn, and be aware of pet hp. If someone is approaching stop spawn, be prepared to log,run,fight or kill mobs as they pass/attack. If you stand on an auto spawn block as an enemy approaches, you are the reason your pets died. You can see their name as they come into screen, so if you stay on spawn, that's on you.
Treat your pets like any other important purchase you make. You wouldn't buy a new car, then drive 90 through a forest off-road. You know, a little common sense goes a long way
lestat / sword 1038
OgreLes / ogre 2001
Loco / archer 250
-ForKotu- / mage 1143
krampdtyl / dwarf 125
Duke clans ObeY, -OC-
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Responding to Lestat's post
First
- Oh no!
Second
- I hope not
OR....
{snip}
Treat your pets like any other important purchase you make. You wouldn't buy a new car, then drive 90 through a forest off-road. You know, a little common sense goes a long way
Sage advice.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.