Halloween- One Devilish Year Later!

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Leone

Re: Halloween- One Devilish Year Later!

Post by Leone »

Please write one of these stories (or futrue stories) as a quest. FT would benefit:)
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Part Four- An Incredible Attempt

Halloween eve day

Dagan was discouraged. No matter how hard he tried to think of a way to be a solution he continually came up with nothing. One could argue he was taking upon himself a responsibility that wasn’t his own. So in a dark mood he wandered south of town to watch and hear the ocean roar. He walked up the shoreline till he came upon one of the several fisherman who seemed to have endless time to enjoy this sport.
D- Good day
F- Hi there young Dagan!
D- Any luck today?
F- No haven’t caught any luck today…but a few fish
D- (he wasn’t in the mood for jokes or really any conversation but raised properly answered politely) Ha ha yes luck isn’t that easy I guess.
F- True, true, luck is the result of pressing in one direction until something happens, sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s bad, but if you don’t press nothing happens
D- (to himself) oh great a philosopher……I guess you are right…what if you don’t know where to press?
F- Ah that’s when a non-interested party can help you see what you can’t see
D- hmm…ok Mr non –interested…(the fisherman smiles broadly) I need to find a way to make something go farther..you know extend farther..
F- so it has a bigger reach or coverage area…like adding some flour to my corn meal so I can batter more fish at a fish fry
D- well sort of…it’s more like spreading a light or a power farther
F- Ah to increase power you add power, to increase light you make it bigger but also raise it up higher
D- Yes that’s closer to it
F- Like a lighthouse here, you add one lightning sting and it shines nicely, add two and it increases it’s brightness and it’s rays go farther, the more stings the greater the coverage
D- That’s it! That’s it! I could add a power source to this magic sword’s shield and put it up very high and it’s canopy would cover more, more power more coverage maybe even the whole land! (off Dagan runs)
F- Well glad to be of help…magic sword…shield…what do these young people do these days?

At the Mage Council

CM- Dagan you are in a lather, what is it my son?
D- I think I have the solution
CM- Oh tell on..
Dagan goes on to tell him of his sword experiment the other night and how the magic sword shielded Lysa from the dream being received, and that how if they could boost the range it might protect most of FT.
CM- Interesting and what might power this increase?
D- I thought a bunch of lightning stings attached to it and it placed in a high place like a lighthouse or tower.
CM- Yes..Yes…it could work…it is worth a try..I think Proditors tower would be a good place as we have many of our mage kind there. They could observe and assure the stings are constantly giving their power, and who knows there just might be some residual magic from the artifact there that could make a difference too. Yes Dagan..I think you have hit on something we can do.
D- What of the stings? Do you have a supply?
CM- Indeed we do…I will make preparations and you must come to that tower towards evening with the magic sword, and bring Lysa too as things seem to go better when both of you are present.
D- I sure will, see you in a few hours!

CM was not very encouraged that it would make a difference or that the sword which was magic would accept and process such natural power from the lightning stings but it seemed to be all they had to try. Some of his mages had learned how to be conduits for such natural power and standing in a circle and holding a sting in one hand and part of the sword in the other would know how to transfer the power, that is if the sword would take it and use it. Dagan was quite exhilarated however because he trusted the sword as if it was a living person and if any way it was possible the sword would figure it all out and come through once again to defend and protect FT. He journeyed back to Lysa and told her all that had happened and would happen. She gave her brother a big hug and was grateful he would be with whatever happened. They packed what they needed for the journey and with magic sword in hand headed towards Proditors tower.

The Tower of great attempts

All was gathered. Dagan and Lysa, the mage council members, the mage conduits and chests full of stings. It was decided only six mages could actually touch the sword. All hoped it would be enough. There was only one chance and no way to test it.

The hour came when darkness beginning to fall the operation had to begin. So the sword was placed in a type of holder on the ground made out of bone so it would stand upright on its own and be sturdy enough the mages could grab ahold of it without it moving. The sheath was removed and to everyone’s delight it had a dull glow it was emanating, it knew why it was here and what it was to try to do. Each mage took their place and were each given a lightning sting to hold. As each sting was added the glow of the sword increased until it was of an intense brilliance. Then it happened…the place began to resonate with a humming sound and the sword which presumed secure seemed to shake and the degrees of brightness seemed to fluctuate. Dagan somehow understood in his head and his heart it was struggling and needed help. He felt drawn to the sword but he assumed if he entered the path of the stings or touched the sword he would be vaporized. Then he thought…luck is the result of pressing in one direction till something happens to the good or the bad…whatever it would be he had to press and without announcement squeezed himself in and touched the sword. No death came only the exhilaration of being near incredible power, the shuddering eased but did not stop. Without thinking Lysa lunged forward and also squeezed in to hold the sword. Her touch calmed the vibration and with popping sounds they could see wave after wave of power coming off of the sword. The protective canopy was being formed and when the popping stopped only a solid emission could be seen. The plan appeared to be a success!

The Devils Headquarters

Panic would be too kind a word to describe what was going on. The devils gathered to project the final dream to release the berserker revenge were in hysterics. When they tried they were met with a glowing force that threw them to the ground. Every attempt was met with the same result. This was unknown to them and they suggested among themselves some God was playing with them and thwarting their revenge. Some even dared think King Scorpion, and King Corpse, and King Fear were perhaps more powerful than they thought and had heard of their plan. Perhaps some dreaded invasion of their realm was imminent. After all they didn’t support the blood moon carnage and had saved inhabitants, maybe they were beginning their revenge for the devils apparent cowardice. The projecting was thus abandoned and they left quickly before word reached the Devil Council of this failure and they become the examples to be punished.

Devils Council

CD- (chief devil) What has happened! Our revenge has failed and somehow the dream state never got sent! Who did this, who is responsible, tell me!! Tell me!!
DC1- Your highness of evil we do not know, perhaps the Gods, perhaps the Kings
CD- Those bumblers? Impossible!
DC2- Your evility, they did summon the blood moon’s full power
CD- Perhaps I have underestimated them…in any case soon the night will be passed and our chance gone…
DC1- Look on the positive my Lord, no inhabitants are lost and they all remain for our pleasure and corrupting!
DC2- We can always work on increasing our wealth and influence your majesty, it is what we do best
CD- Ahhhhh! But I so wanted to terrorize the three twits…but you are right our domain is secure and our prey plentiful…I will find a way though to punish them…be assured of that. Very well I guess we shall leave these inhabitants to their boring Halloween of playing pranks and giving treats, our plan would have been so much more memorable. For a night, instead of pretending to be a zombie they could have been one! Their loss.

The End

May your Halloween be full of treats! :D
Retired
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

Thanks for another great read! :D

I look forward to having Halloween candy that I'll pretend is for kids but is actually for me.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Very well done.
As always Gull a great read. Thank you for your time and effort.

Halloween isn't a big thing here but I shall go a buy some treats for us three and celebrated in by munching away in the dark.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Brilliant! Thank you very much for the time and effort. Very entertaining.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Thanks all!! :D
It reminds me of the two old men from the Muppets giving their assessment of something. I can hear them saying after being asked about my story:

OM1- It was too wordy
OM2- where were the explosions!
OM1- I started to yawn
OM2- a nap would have been better
OM1- it was short
OM2- and now it's all over!
OM1- and OM2- (looking at each other) We loved it!

:lol:
Retired
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

If someone's number one drawback to reading is that there are too many words I think all you can do is shake your head.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

You just have to know Statler and Waldorf, two awesome old men.
S-and-W.jpg
I am always AFK!
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

LK that picture was perfect!!!
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Those two old-guys are close to my heart.

Linux uses names for their different versions.
Debian uses "ToyStory" for its names, CrunchBang, based on Debian, used the "Muppets"
Debian 11 bullseye - current today
Debian 10 buster = CrunchBang 10 Statler (last version of #!)
Debian 9 stretch = CrunchBang 9 Waldorf

I was not happy when #! died, a one man effort that decided that #! Crunchbang didn't serve a purpose anymore. A year later he came back and said he was wrong. I had a lot of Crunchbang Statler and Waldorf wallpapers unfortunately they were deleted not long ago. I could/can really identify with those two.

It was like "old home week" when you brought them to the forefront.
Thank you.

So I'll end with this one:

Waldorf: Hey look, an orchestra of penguins!
Statler: Yeah, probably took the job for the halibut!

Oh wait ... one last one just for me:

Waldorf: "Well, this has been an evening to remember."
Statler: "Why?"
Waldorf: "I forgot."

OK I'm outta here.

Again thanks for the great read Gull.
I am always AFK!