Road based speed increase

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

ardesia

Road based speed increase

Post by ardesia »

I suggest to add a little speed increase to avatars walking on roads

I think it might add flavour to play experience and enhance game world coherence, giving more sense to roads existance and to the spontaneous tendency avatars have to use roads whenever they can

Using "+1" as measure of speed increase due to boots, walking on roads could add +0,5 and walking on paths could add +0,25

Road based speed increase should add to increases due to speed pots and speed skill
[GM] ardesia :: Game Admin :: Currently retired
If you need contacting me, write my vasinta forum account a message
DaHobbit

Re: Road based speed increase

Post by DaHobbit »

I fully support this idea since I've always wondered why the character is so proned to going out of the way just to walk on a road, yet there is no benefit. Instead, it takes longer because the character does not go from point A to B.
DaHobbit - Game Master (GM)
Leone

Post by Leone »

Very interesting idea.

This could be developed further. For example, marsh grounds or deep sand or snow that give a -1 walk speed penalty. These areas are clearly visible on maps. Normal areas stay as they are: no speed bonus and no penalty.
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

The primary problem with this would be having to write specific coding into the editor for these spaces on the map and then recompiling the entire world. Not impossible, but definitely a daunting task.
Omnes Autem Uri
ardesia

Post by ardesia »

madmaniacal1 wrote:The primary problem with this would be having to write specific coding into the editor for these spaces on the map and then recompiling the entire world. Not impossible, but definitely a daunting task.
Were the roads simply graphical elements of the maps, I would agree with you.
They are not.
Avatars tend to drift from straight walking, heading roads, as soon as they can. That means they "know" where roads are, thus implying that roads are not merely graphics but actual interactive elements.

How hard would it be to have roads send info to avatars so that they will affect speed, I cannot tell - being not part of the programmers staff of the game and having no occasions for reading its code - but (being a programmer) I am sure it is not going to be as hard as you describe it.

I am optimist :D
Runex

Post by Runex »

ardesia wrote:I suggest to add a little speed increase to avatars walking on roads

I think it might add flavour to play experience and enhance game world coherence, giving more sense to roads existance and to the spontaneous tendency avatars have to use roads whenever they can

Using "+1" as measure of speed increase due to boots, walking on roads could add +0,5 and walking on paths could add +0,25

Road based speed increase should add to increases due to speed pots and speed skill
Hello, but it would be hard work for programmers and graphic commands.
I think it would be much easier to add speed according to your character level or more simple, add speed boots +2.
The other problem is when you want to do "justice" and kill a player with "black name" (Swordsman) use these potions speed and even you to be level 500 escapes you ... that I find outrageous, I would love that could change that in the not too distant future and well nearby.

Kind Regards;
Runex
Lenguage: Spanish, Italian, English.
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

Ardesia wrote:
Were the roads simply graphical elements of the maps, I would agree with you.
They are not.
Avatars tend to drift from straight walking, heading roads, as soon as they can. That means they "know" where roads are, thus implying that roads are not merely graphics but actual interactive elements.
I agree. I was referring to a further comment regarding penalties in "bad/rough" terrains.
Omnes Autem Uri
ardesia

Post by ardesia »

madmaniacal1 wrote: I agree. I was referring to a further comment regarding penalties in "bad/rough" terrains.
Oh, yes, that could be uneasy to solve for mixed-terrains maps...
Maybe the absence of roads in those maps could be able to ingenerate a feeling of difficult walking?
madmaniacal1

Post by madmaniacal1 »

So long as it applies to monsters (flying types excluded), why not? However, then blitzbees could become even more dangerous. Flying-type skins might also accidentally gain a benefit, too.
Omnes Autem Uri