Courtesy, consideration, and condescension

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

Courtesy, consideration, and condescension

Post by Gullander »

We all play this game because some features of it we enjoy.

Of course there isn't any nice way to PVP the intention is clear, but even in that I hope one of these terms might apply.

Courtesy. We recognize the worth of others to play. This may mean we gracefully yield and move on if someone is in our favorite spot. It may mean we make decisions about players based on our own experience not what group or country they are from. We respect others unless they prove themselves unworthy of that respect. But even then courtesy will just move on instead of returning disrespect. This may be in our actions or words withheld.

Consideration. We play with eyes wide open to what the results of our actions might bring to others. If we inadvertently cause a dangerous situation for someone else we may consider staying and helping even if it is to our own hurt. Consideration takes responsibility for our own actions and doesn't leave a mess for someone else to clean up. Consideration also takes into account others may not act this way towards us and is vigilant in watching dangers before they come, and consideration does not immediately condemn a player for one mistake but saves that if necessary for repeated lack of care.

Condescension. That means we protect rather than take advantage of players less experienced than us in playing or level. It may mean much stronger clan members leave little clan members alone. It may mean the greater yields to the lesser in areas of grinding that are better suited for the lesser player. It may mean just because someone has greater speed or better pets they limit their use when weaker players are present. For instance, I am sure many players have felt run over by fast players and left with a spawn they didn't make and the fast player didn't even know they created it! Condescension says I may be stronger and faster but instead of acting like a king of wherever I go I will be careful and helpful to weaker players.

It's easy to be vindictive and selfish, anyone can do that. To quote from a movie "Himalaya" a monk was asked by his father concerning a hard choice he needed to make and here was his reply learned from his master, "when faced with two paths choose the hardest". Courtesy, consideration, and condescension are the harder path but have the greatest reward for others and yes really for us!
Retired
Leone

Re: Courtesy, consideration, and condescension

Post by Leone »

Wise words- very well said. It certainly is a better way to play the game.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Slight modifications of that and it can be applied to RL.
Well done Gull.
I was always AFK!
I was LK, A Friendly Knight.
SellSword

Post by SellSword »

I would agree with all of that. It's a game and meant for people to have fun. Someone cheating, backstabbing, and generally being a horrible person to get to the top doesn't really amount to anything in the real world.
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.