antagonists of FT

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Bence

antagonists of FT

Post by Bence »

Today I completed the quest to kill 350 freyas. It is a daily quest.
But why did I do the quest? To gain a single level. To become more powerful.
I murdered 350 freyas to become a little bit more powerful.

If the heroes of the world act like this, what are the enemys of the world capable of?
Or are we the enemy of the world and Sebastius the savior?

After all, we are just mass murderers capable of any evil act to gain power.
"We are unity in diversity"
lvl 1006 mage
Gullander

Re: antagonists of FT

Post by Gullander »

I have asked myself similar questions. I have chosen not to play other games because of the graphic display of blood and guts. It's one thing to rid a world of monsters quite another when the monster looks so much like us!

I appreciate you mentioning this and for me the deciding factor is how does it affect my conscience. This is at least in part why I am mostly retired, the endless grinding, killing, murder if you will for my own advancement. As long as there was a noble quest to defeat Sebastius and free FT the battles were a means to a worthy cause. But since such victory remains unavailable what is left on the battling side is grinding for a goal I know not what it is. But to mine and trade and to have friends these remain positives no matter what else the game offers.

Some may say, and my own children have said this to me, it's just a game. I wonder how many things have been done in this world with the same mantra, it's just this or that. You certainly have given me some food for thought.
Retired
Leone

Post by Leone »

Killing 350 Freyas is part of the mercenary questline. The overall value of completing this questline (and others) is that you get to craft a piece of 3k gear - the finest gear in the game.

Then you can craft for yourself and others.

I'd say that's a noble cause.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

It certainly is a nobler cause to craft for others, really to do anything to help other players whether it be gear, or gold, or help, or gleaning from your experience. This is one of the positives of friendship and giving rather than being greed driven. Of course we can only control how we play and why we do what we do. Other players may be dishonorable in their actions but that is not our responsibility though we may through our type of play help them to see a more honorable way. I think if a part of the game disturbs us like mentioned in the opening post we have the option to play differently to accommodate that sensibility. Honestly that has helped me last all this time finding those good nuggets I like.
Retired
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

I said it gave me food for thought...so here is another thought.

We must admit that the game is set up that we are the good guy set in an empire overrun with evil. We have a mission once we learn who we are at level 60 or so. The silver sword must be found and Sebastius the evil betrayer of Ascanius and usurper of power must be destroyed if good and peace are ever to return to FT.

In the mean time the land needs our help. Monsters run amok everywhere. And true we may have less qualms about killing beasts, and insects, and worms who attack mindlessly but we must realize something about the humans and human types. They have a mind and a will. The mages and soldiers and dwarves and ogres have chosen to follow Sebastius and do his bidding. Even the lovely freyas, my distant cousins, have conspired with him and even resorted to unnatural breeding to achieve the Cyber Freya! The undead deserve our pity for they mindlessly do now what they may or may not have chosen. Yet even here they are past feeling and it is a mercy to free them of their bondage. Just because our victory seems so far off and as I have said myself a game seemingly without an ending to the story line, one truth remains, when or until that day FT needs heroes who can see beyond the tedium of the battle against evil to a larger purpose. Is it hopeless? it might be. Is it distasteful at times? Certainly so,. But as the saying goes all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men or women to do nothing. If we play and battle we are doing something to stem the tide even if a mighty tide, But yes it is only a game and not real life. But I'd like to think viewing the game according to the story line we are given does give opportunity for balancing our sensibility with a just cause. Just another way maybe to look at it. :)
Retired
Aogon

Post by Aogon »

Perhaps consider that "good" Freyas wouldn't attack any man, woman, or pet that walks nearby! These must be evil creatures to behave as such, so we are doing right by killing them if we can!
Bence

Post by Bence »

Gullander wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:52 am It certainly is a nobler cause to craft for others, really to do anything to help other players whether it be gear, or gold, or help, or gleaning from your experience. This is one of the positives of friendship and giving rather than being greed driven. Of course we can only control how we play and why we do what we do. Other players may be dishonorable in their actions but that is not our responsibility though we may through our type of play help them to see a more honorable way. I think if a part of the game disturbs us like mentioned in the opening post we have the option to play differently to accommodate that sensibility. Honestly that has helped me last all this time finding those good nuggets I like.
It does not really disturb me, its just an interesting moral dilemma.
Aogon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:45 am Perhaps consider that "good" Freyas wouldn't attack any man, woman, or pet that walks nearby! These must be evil creatures to behave as such, so we are doing right by killing them if we can!
I partially agree with Aogon, they are aggressive, but on the other hand, we disturbed their territory and they have the right to defend their own land. WIping them out for defending whats theirs does not seem fair.
Please keep in mind, I only posted it, because it is an interesting moral dilemma.
"We are unity in diversity"
lvl 1006 mage
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Ah...ok a moral exercise not a serious complaint, fair enough. But you have to admit you did call all of us mass murderers which is not a moral dilemma but a moral conclusion, which was begging for some kind of response.

There isn't really anything academic about morality or ethics, morals are the seeds from which our actions grow, either in beauty or ugliness.
Retired