Can I play this game on my computer?

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

SFCheri

Can I play this game on my computer?

Post by SFCheri »

I would prefer to play on my computer. Is it possible?

I'm updating this query with a summary of the results of the discussion. I have a MacBook Pro running MacOS 12.6.7. I believe earlier versions of MacOS (prior to 10.14.6) can run the game natively.

I can play the online version using the android emulator NOX. I worked with several people who participated in this chain of responses to finally arrive at this solution. However, the offline version cannot be played on NOX or any other option I explored with modern versions of the MacOS.

Hope this summary proves useful.
Last edited by SFCheri on Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aogon

Re: Can I play this game on my computer?

Post by Aogon »

Yes, see the download links page here:
viewtopic.php?t=17401
SK1976

Post by SK1976 »

Please install the latest "JAVA" on your computer too. Without it it not runs
DUKE of SK-Clan
Aogon

Post by Aogon »

Once you installed java and downloaded and unzipped the ft8.zip file, you'll have to run the game.

On a PC, you should be able to just double click one of the .bat files in the folder (such as start.bat) or run them from the command line.

On Linux or a Mac, you should be able to run one of the .sh files instead. If you go to the folder via the command line, try typing: start.sh and the game should start.
SFCheri

Post by SFCheri »

I'm trying to play the game on my Mac, running macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey).

Aogon says he's out of his depth. And suggested maybe Compbattant could help? Or maybe there's someone else who can help me figure out what to do.

I followed the link to download the game and unzipped it, installed Java, then followed the instructions ("from the command line, while in the ft8 directory, type start.sh). It doesn't work. What do I do now? At the end, you will see that I almost have it working. Does it matter where the ft8 directory is located?

Below is a detailed description of what I did. Sorry this is so long, but details matter.

For those Mac users who are not tech savvy, the "command line" can be found in the Applications folder in the Utilities subfolder and is called terminal.app. Once you double-click on terminal.app, you get a window you can type into.

Once you have this window open, you need to go to the folder containing the ft8 files. You do this by typing something similar to

cd /Users/your-user-name/Desktop/221129-01\ TBUZZ\ TPP/Forgotten\ Tales/ft8

The part of the above text between .../Desktop/... and .../ft8 is the location of the ft8 directory AKA folder. I happen to have it buried a couple of folders below the Desktop. If you have a similar arrangement and the folder name has spaces in it, you need to type "\ " for the space to be interpreted properly. That is, back-slash space.

Here's where the instructions break down. Typing start.sh (followed by Enter) gets the response "command not found" even though the file start.sh is in the ft8 folder.

So I opened the start.sh file (using textedit.app from the Applications folder) and found the following contents:

java -jar desktop.jar 920 640

So I tried typing that into the command line and got the following error:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.lwjgl.glfw.GLFW.glfwInit(GLFW.java:1046)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl3.Lwjgl3Application.initializeGlfw(Lwjgl3Application.java:88)
at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl3.Lwjgl3Application.<init>(Lwjgl3Application.java:138)
at com.dmstudio.mmo.desktop.DesktopLauncher.main(DesktopLauncher.java:80)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: GLFW may only be used on the main thread and that thread must be the first thread in the process. Please run the JVM with -XstartOnFirstThread. This check may be disabled with Configuration.GLFW_CHECK_THREAD0.
at org.lwjgl.glfw.EventLoop.<clinit>(EventLoop.java:30)
... 4 more

So I modified the command:

java -jar -XstartOnFirstThread desktop.jar 920 640

Well, finally, something seemed to be working. But no joy.

The opening screen came up and the music started playing. The terminal reports

[Gameanalytics] Session open. Time stamp discrepancy in ms: -178

Then I clicked on the Login button and the next screen asks for ID and password. I filled those in, and clicked Login and waited from the screen to display my current location. But all I got was a black screen.

The terminal reports

00:00 INFO: Connecting: /178.63.101.234:6000
00:00 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 6111 connected: /178.63.101.234
00:00 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 6111 disconnected.
00:00 INFO: Connecting: /178.63.101.234:5171
00:01 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 2 connected: /178.63.101.234

The game was running under the Java application, so I used the Quit command to exit.

When I quit, terminal reports

01:19 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 2 disconnected.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Open "start.sh" in at text editor you will see 1 line:

Code: Select all

You need to add 2 lines above the existing line:
First line:
iOS:

#!/bin/sh
for Linux it would be:

#!/bin/bash
second line in either iOS or Linux

cd /path/to/your/ft/folder/
For iOS and the user that asked:

#!/bin/sh
Now however you do it in I=S create a decktop icon that points to:

/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/221129-01\ TBUZZ\ TPP/Forgotten\ Tales/ft8/start.sh
Personally I'd put /ft8 directly under /Desktop/

#!/bin/sh
cd /Users/your-user-name/Desktop/ft8
and point the icon to:

/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/ft8/start.sh
Much simpler.

Copy or cut and paste:

/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/221129-01\ TBUZZ\ TPP/Forgotten\ Tales/ft8/
to:

/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/ft8/
BTW: for linux users: Linux will accept spaces:

/Users/your-user-name/Desktop/221129-01 TBUZZ TPP/Forgotten Tales/ft8/
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
SFCheri

Post by SFCheri »

"Get Info" for the start.sh file shows it has a file type of Plain Text Document. Therefore, it is not an executable and even adding the line to change the shell doesn't have any effect because it never gets executed. Running terminal, I can change the shell (chsh -s /bin/sh Enter) then I am prompted for the Admin password to complete the action. Don't know if that is even really needed.

The first time I started terminal (trying to get this game running on my Mac is the first time I've used terminal since I upgraded to Monterey a while ago), I was told

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

which I did. I doubt there is any real difference between the two shells for the purposes of running the game. I've tried it using both shells and get the same results. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I don't know how to change the file type of start.sh to be executable. I tried using "Open with:" in "Get Info" but I cannot select /bin/zsh. It is dimmed out, even though I have turned on "Enable: All Applications" and navigated to the /bin directory.

Your explanation does not address my primary concern, which is the addition of "-XstartOnFirstThread" to the java command line. As I stated in my previous submission, that's the only thing that got the game to even start. But after I logged in, I never got an active screen showing my current location. All I got was a black screen.
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Well, keep in mind I use Linux not iOS. Not even sure how iOS works.
You might have to talk to a Mac user for a better response.

BUT you should go back to /bin/zsh since that's what your system wants.
There are slight differences in the two shells.

Check them out by searching "Bash Scripting – Difference between Zsh and Bash"

OK even better: "How to run a Shell or .sh script on macOS"

NOTE the chmod +x part to make start.sh executable.

I think once you make it executable and run it from in the same directory, that the cd command, the java error will go away.

#!/bin/zsh
# change diretory to where start.sh is
Edited by Aogon to remove external links, per forum rules.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
SFCheri

Post by SFCheri »

OK. I've tried all the suggestions. Nothing's really changed, but I have discovered something new about the black screen.

I moved my ft8 folder to the Desktop.

I found out from the term to search for that LostKnight provided how to make my .sh file executable, using terminal.app.

chmod +x start.sh

I now have the following in my .sh file:

#!/bin/zsh
cd ~/Desktop/ft8
java -jar -XstartOnFirstThread desktop.jar 920 640

For technically challenged Mac users, "~" is an abbreviation for /Users/your-user-name.

As I reported previously, I get a Java error if I omit "-XstartOnFirstThread" from the java command line.

I start the game from the terminal app

zsh start.sh

New about the black screen:

While I was testing this and sitting on the black screen with the music playing, I saw some text move across the screen which looked like a player's name.

So I quit Java, and using my phone, I went back to the home location (0,0).

Going back to my computer and logging in, I now see players names and the chat even shows up. Also, I can hear clanking and chopping from people working.

But no graphics show up, just text.

I'm so close!!! But no joy.

Any other ideas? Does the download need to be modified for a Mac?

Also, please note the terminal messages I get when I log in. Maybe they are significant. I'll repeat them here.

Start the game and see the opening screen, hear the music. terminal reports

[Gameanalytics] Session open. Time stamp discrepancy in ms: -365

Click Login, the Login screen appears, asking for my ID and password. Click Login. terminal reports

00:00 INFO: Connecting: /178.63.101.234:6000
00:00 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 10901 connected: /178.63.101.234
00:00 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 10901 disconnected.
00:00 INFO: Connecting: /178.63.101.234:5104
00:01 INFO: [kryonet] Connection 2473 connected: /178.63.101.234

I don't remember the term for the :6000 or :5104. "channels" maybe? They are the same every time. The "Connection xxx" and "Connection yyy" values change every time and always differ from each other.

That's all I've got to report. Hopefully, someone can help with whatever final tweaking will get this working.
Aogon

Post by Aogon »

Glad you got some progress. You may want to try to confirm whether or not OpenGL is supported on this Mac. OpenGL is required for the game to work.