Forgotten Tales Damage Calculation Worksheet

You need help? Check the general infos or post your question here!

Moderator: Game Administrators

profa

Forgotten Tales Damage Calculation Worksheet

Post by profa »

Hey gals & guys,

Davidjett's Excel worksheet for calculating statistics (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4445) gave me an idea to make something similar, but for calculating damage.

So here is my Excel :-)

You select class type, skill and enemy from the drop-down list. You enter your hero's stats. You click on one of the two buttons. You get some info. :-)

Explanation:
First button (Calculate math) does not anything to have with math except it generates dice rolls in a non-random way. It starts with -5, goes to 5, then gets back to -5, and so on. It will provide the same result every time, and can be used to compare monsters since the number generation is constant.

Second button (Calculate random) uses pseudo-random numbers in order to simulate a fight. It will provide different results every time and can be used to see more realistic results.

This worksheet will only calculate damage to monsters. It will NOT calculate damage to a character. I will add this calculation at some later time.

Detailed information about the battle progress can be seen in the sheet "Calculation".

One of the things I plan to add is usage of different skills - for instance, if you first want to use Fire Sword, and after that Always Hit. Right now the only skills you can select are Always Hit, Double Attack and Double Damage.

What I wasn't able to fix is: when changing class type the previous skill will remain selected until you click on the drop down list and select skill associated with the new class type. So you can calculate what would happen if Archer used Always Hit. :-)

[Edit] I added Number of enemies box - this will balance XP/min for enemies that you kill in less then 20 seconds by using a skill. For instance, if I choose four Blitzbees insted of one, skill cooldown will come into calculation and I have a better projection of overall XP/min (one Blitzbee gives me ~361k XP/min, but two give me ~211k XP/min).

History:
2014.11.19: Major version change, now V2: new feature - added player damage calculation. This makes it much more interesting, because you can now simulate a whole battle. Unfortunately I still haven't added feature to select different skill throughout a battle, and I don't know if I ever will. :-(

2014.10.17: Bug fix - for dice rolls between -5 and 0 calculator assumed it is a miss, without comparing player's DEX vs enemy's DEX

2014.10.01: Damage calculation for Ogre when using Double Damage skill is changed, damage is doubled after hero's stregth is reduced by enemy's armor

2014.09.25: Some small changes + overall time is now limited to 24 hours insted of 1 hour. I know it is ridiculous, but it's cool. :-)

2014.09.24: There was a bug with messages, it should now be good.

Download links
Version 2, with damage calculation to player:
Download V2

Version 1, without damage calculation to player:
Download V1

If you catch any errors please write me a message.
Last edited by profa on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
profa

Re: Forgotten Tales Damage Calculation Worksheet

Post by profa »

One question: is Double Damage (Ogre's skill) calculated before reducing enemy's armor, or after? Or to make it simple, what is the right formula:

DMG = STR * 2 - ARM

or

DMG = (STR - ARM) * 2?
compbatant
Site Admin

Post by compbatant »

profa wrote: DMG = (STR - ARM) * 2?
This one.
profa

Post by profa »

compbatant wrote:
This one.
Thanks. It is logical, but I made a mistake in formula for Double Damage by doubling character's STR before reducing ARM, so results looked strange to me. :-)
Insider

Post by Insider »

profa wrote:
compbatant wrote:
This one.
Thanks. It is logical, but I made a mistake in formula for Double Damage by doubling character's STR before reducing ARM, so results looked strange to me. :-)
Soo...OGRE KILL PHARAON SPIDER BETTER WITHOUT SKILL????OMG :o
profa

Post by profa »

Insiders/Inferno! wrote:Soo...OGRE KILL PHARAON SPIDER BETTER WITHOUT SKILL????OMG :o
No way. How did you get that? Maybe Swordsman's "Always Hit" skill was still selected?
Ashotovich

Post by Ashotovich »

I tested the Excel calculator and foud that changing of DEX does not reflect at all on the time to kill.

How is it possible? As I understand, the higher DEX you have, the higher chance to hit you get.
Piffl / El Majo

Post by Piffl / El Majo »

Ashotovich wrote:I tested the Excel calculator and foud that changing of DEX does not reflect at all on the time to kill.

How is it possible? As I understand, the higher DEX you have, the higher chance to hit you get.
This is not easy to explain briefly. On the game help you have a section explaining all the formulas. This is only for weapon attack (included wand attack, excluded spells).

Every time you attack, the system generate a random number from -5 to +5. This nunber is added to the attacker dex. If the result is greater that the enemy dex, you hit him. Otherwise you fail. A random number of +5 is a critical hit and always hit.

Therefore, if the attacker dex is at least five more than the defender dex, you always hit him. If it is less than 5 or more, just you only hit with a critical.

Finally, the dex is sustracted (all your dex) of the magic damage, every spell cast.

I hope this help you.
Currently inactive
Game Admin (GM)

Useful Links: General game help | Quest list | Forum Rules | Game Rules

Languages Spoken: Català, Español, English
Ashotovich

Post by Ashotovich »

Piffl / El Majo wrote:Finally, the dex is sustracted (all your dex) of the magic damage, every spell cast.
So if my dex is higher enough than the enemy's one, then it's str who is more important? E.g. my enemy has dex=30. So if mine is 36, I always hit him. But if my str is 40 and his arm is also 40, then, following the formula, damage = (str - arm) * 2 = (40 - 40)*2 = 0?

And how do i calculate the critical hit damage?

Sorry for stupid questions, but I found no information regarding the formulas in General section.
Piffl / El Majo

Post by Piffl / El Majo »

About the dex, your reasoning is fine. You only need a dex 5 over the enemy dex to hit him always and only to be hit with enemy critical hits. But remember some of the new enemies dex is over 200+.

About damage calculation, if you hit the enemy (or are hit for him), the damage is:
If the random number was -5 to +3, attacker strength minus defender armor. Skills modifications calculated after subtracting (I think).
If the random number was +4 or +5, full attacher streght. Defender armor is ignored.

The swordsman skill "always hit" means you always roll a +5, so every hit is a critical.
Currently inactive
Game Admin (GM)

Useful Links: General game help | Quest list | Forum Rules | Game Rules

Languages Spoken: Català, Español, English