An Unlikely Alliance

As the description says!

Moderator: Game Administrators

Gullander

An Unlikely Alliance

Post by Gullander »

An Unlikely Alliance

Prologue:
You must remember these tales of FT may be what has happened, what is currently happening, or looking through the mists of time that which is yet to come. Where or rather when this fits in depends entirely on your position fellow time walkers. All that can be said for sure is this follows the events of King Fear’s demise and our beloved Jester has found a new resting place. Let us jump into this tale and later we will introduce our main characters.

The Assault
Oh NO! Ascanius has been captured by Sebastius! Years of gloating and evil planning by Sebastius finally reached its pinnacle. His once revered teacher is now his captive and soon to become either his slave or die! The details of the capture are a bit shrouded in magical mystery but enough has been learned to attest Sebastius, or rather his evil spawn, knew how to manipulate Ascanius’ kindly and hopeful nature. Here is what we know.
Ascanius had received a sealed message that a conference was desired of him at 0.0. You see the 0.0. map is also a place for non-magic and non-fighting for all permanent residents of FT. The gods decreed so and even heavy weights such as these mages must obey. Ascanius had been to these meetings before. They always consisted of Sebastius wanting something and vowing to change only to be refused and end up cursing and taunting revenge and death! This time was very different, dangerously different. To his surprise no Sebastius and his retinue of evil henchmen but a solitary figure, a lovely one we might add, with dark long flowing hair and eyes so captivating even if she were not a mage would grab men’s hearts. Here was Sebastina the only offspring of Sebastius! However it wasn’t these things that endangered Ascanius but what she had to say. She related how she had begun to wonder about her father’s ways and knew Ascanius to be a kind teacher of a different pathway. She begged and pleaded that he make her his pupil like he had her father, but vowing to follow the better path. Included in her entreaties she mentioned how she was not worthy that he would even consider it, and that she would understand if he denied her request because of her father’s evil deeds, but that she was desperate and willing to be the lowliest of apprentices if he could find it in his heart to take her in. Her countenance was fallen; her posture slumped, giving every indication of a truthful plea. So Ascanius asked her to follow him to his home offering a trial period to see if she was in earnest. As they turned to go her eyes flashed dark and the edges of her mouth curled in an evil and pleased smile. Two maps south Ascanius, distracted by the prospect of defeating Sebastius by using his own daughter turned to good, was beset by many evil mages. Sebastina much more powerful that she appeared wrenched Ascanius’ wand out of his hand and a magical assault took place overpowering and disabling Ascanius till he lay in a heap on the ground overcome and unconscious. The plan had worked! Ascanius now became imprisoned in Sebastius’ lair.

The Panic
When Ascanius did not return panic ensued. Let me explain something about these mighty mages. They draw many would be mages who come and stay and learn. As such these mighty mages like our own institutes of learning over time have buildings, and assets, and workers comprising a small army of individuals. Among this army panic ran amuck and plans and vows were made, assets assessed, and a general sense of impending doom if they didn’t ‘fix this now!’. But honestly for all the vigor and anger and tears no one really knew how they ‘mere underlings’ could do much of anything against Sebastius. Panic quickly evolved into disarray and dejection. No one felt it more keenly than Ascania, yes Ascanius’ own daughter!
Here dear reader is where our beloved Jester enters this tale as he had done before ready to face adversity with a clear head and keen wit. He had long put away his jester garb, no longer playing the fool for some king’s sadistic enjoyment. He had come to Ascanius as an old friend and hoped he could make a career change and become a mage himself. He mused since he had carried many jester’s tools in his hands it would not be much different than grasping a wand! But alas we often are suited for certain things and the rigors of a mage life did not fit well. Ascanius indeed loved his witty friend but some of the comments and observations and incessant questionings about the whys and how comes of ancient magic proved a total distraction to teaching any mage class. No, our Jester was made for other things. In fact quickly the Jester became Ascanius’ right hand man for anything, non-magical that is, that needed to be done. Over time he acquired a nickname given to him by those others at Ascanius’ place of learning. At first it was a loving pun of sorts as a rhyme calling him Ascan, a little Ascanius, but something occurred to change it. You see the Jester didn’t mind doing anything however menial or dirty. But one day disposing of a large vessel containing the ashes from so much incense being burned there he managed to do a very uncharacteristic thing for our usually nimble Jester. He tripped and was covered with ashes! Within a week his name morphed from Ascan to Ash Can! So affectionately or in derision Ash Can he was! It was Ash Can’s calming presence that allowed Ascania to begin her own quest to recruit some warriors to aid in freeing her father. She found out quickly once she mentioned Sebastius most brave warriors found reasons to say no. But she found four unlikely warriors willing to take on the cause forming indeed a most unlikely alliance, unlikely to work together, but in most eyes unlikely to succeed. We shall see as time goes on their motives for joining this quest. Here then is our noble band faced with an incredible task.

Characters
DullBlade (DB) As his name implies he is too lazy to be bothered with much and is notorious for ignoring his equipment. Add to that he is so cheap his equipment level is always way below his own level!
Grabitall (GB) Well that is pretty self-explanatory, is this opportunity he smells? This dwarf is used to the jingle of gold.
ClumsyClub (CC) Oh dear, what have we here? This ogre seems more interested in good food, drink, and leisure.
Spellacus (SP) The only mage going along, he is part rebel and part perfectionist, and part “I don’t care about you if you don’t care about what I care about!”

Now the rest of our characters
Ascanius (AS) Mortally endangered mage who is one of the few stemming the tide of evil in FT.
Ascania (A) Sweet hearted daughter of Ascanius
Ash Can (AC) The inheritor of this band of “noble” heroes as Ascania’s representative on the quest.
Sebastina (SB) Gorgeous evil daughter of Sebastius who despises Ascania’s sickeningly sweet disposition. She probably hates her more than Ascanius!
Evil Henchman (EH) One of Sebastina’s lackeys under her dominion.

Now without further ado let us pick up the story as the band of five meet for the first time. Well each day I will add a chapter! To continue tomorrow! :D
Retired
SellSword

Re: An Unlikely Alliance

Post by SellSword »

The bard of Forgotten Tales (Boft?) is back! Always a good read and I am excited for more. :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
Leone

Post by Leone »

Excellent introduction- I can't wait for tomorrow's chapter!
B3lf

Post by B3lf »

it was worth stopping my grind for this my friend :D
Sometimes time flies like a lead-winged concrete owl.
I didnt see the forest because of a tree.
justj99

Post by justj99 »

Great stuff, as always!
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Is it tomorrow yet? Is it tomorrow yet?

Did I ask: Is it tomorrow yet? HUH? HUH??

Like a book ya just can't put down ....
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter One- The Unlikely Alliance

A-Hello noble warriors!
AC- (under breath) I am a noble worrier…what a group!
A-I cannot stress too strongly that this quest is not just for the freeing of my father but the whole future of our realm.
DB- Never fear dear lady we will not fail you! (all attest the same)
A-(beginning to cry) My poor father! Know this if you can accomplish this you will have my deepest gratitude!
DB- Your thanks will be enough!

(at this comment Grabitall and Spellacus are besides themselves, finally Grabitall erupts)

GB- Oh my lady that is most wondrous, but we must be assured of more as this is a most dangerous affair.
A-Be assured we are not without wealth in items or gold. And you brave ogre what do you require?
CC- Oh me? Well….that is to say… I mean…
GB- He wants gold too!
CC- What I was going to say is if we have good food and drink and a bit of adventure, but not too much I will be content.
SP- Oh boy! A glutton, a money grabber, and a romantic! We are doomed for sure!

(a loud display of yelling goes on threatening to break up the band before it starts)

A-Wait, wait noble warriors! You will have more help than you realize. Here let me introduce your leader and my eyes and ears on this venture, this noble servant of Ascanius his trusted Ash Can!
(laughter and comments of derision are heard, but strangely this draws them all back together)
AC- I have fully prepared provisions for our journey and the finest weapons and armor…
SP- Made no doubt out of garbage cans! (a chorus of laughter erupts)
AC- (more to himself) the can is noble and humble to put up with trash!
A-Please my warriors I have hand-picked you for this task. I have complete confidence in you.
AC- Well what say ye oh stout warriors? Do we now venture forth into glory?
(looking at each other DB responds)
DB- I speak for all my lady, I..er I mean we are your men!
A-Oh good, I am most thankful for your kind willingness to come to my rescue!
GB- (quietly) kind bag of gold
DB- (quietly) kind lady love you will be mine
SP- (quietly) kind special spells to learn
CC- (very out loud) We will do our best sweet lady!
AC- (mostly to himself) I hope a willing rescue not a killing miscue!!
Retired
LostKnight

Post by LostKnight »

Prelude reread along with chapter one.

It will be my daily duty to read from beginning to the "new" end of the daily chapter.

Excitement grows.
I am always AFK!
I am LK, A Friendly Knight.
Gullander

Post by Gullander »

Chapter Two- On The Way to Sebastius’ Lair

Ash Can tries to unearth the real motives of his ignoble band. He has seen treachery before!

AC- This looks like a good place to rest
SP- If you like swampy overgrown jungle!
GB- I can see my weapon rusting before my eyes.
DB- About time for a rest
CC- Anyone else hungry?
AC- Set up camp the best you can. This wild area is good protection and we should not be detected.
SP- I’d like to know how a servant gets to be boss of this venture? (GB and DB nod)
GB- Yah, what makes you so special?
AC- (sighing…and adopting a fawning fool mode) Oh I don’t know I stumble, at danger all I crumble! If hardship comes when I should be humble, I complain and moan and start to grumble!
SP- I think you will be glad you have us along!
GB- My axe is deadly, don’t worry
DB- I love to supervise, we got this
CC- I don’t mind cooking, isn’t anyone hungry?
AC- Relieved I am burdened no longer, you all are wise and so much stronger!
SP- That’s right, and don’t forget it
GB- This place isn’t so bad, I could eat
DB- Me too, CC go for it!
CC- Oh goody! You are gonna love it!
(Ash Can would rather not play the timid fool but is indeed well trained in the art. Now perhaps thinking themselves superior he can get their tongues to wag and tell him what he wants to know. He walks off making a musical rhyme)
AC- Two heads are better than one but we have more, tis subtraction not addition in this group of four!
SP- What’s that?
AC- Oh nothing…what I thought before now I have more
SP- Uh…yes quite so.

Later around the campfire Ash Can takes his turn talking to each. After all his questionings he is satisfied none of these so called heroic warriors have any evil intents. But he is concerned the closer they get to Sebastius’ base the greater the danger they will face. This is what he learned about each hero.

Spellacus- He has delusions that somehow if this deed is done he will gain access both to Ascanius’ and his hoard of spells. He is quite sure that he would excel any of his pupils past or present, He is a bit much of a personality and ambition could be used against him.

DullBlade- He is under the impression this deed done will render him the consort to pretty Ascania! As such he has thoughts of the life of leisure he could enjoy with servants to take care of his equipment. The idea of being a big shot without having to lift a finger is his motive although to his credit he does genuinely admire Ascania. His quest for a life of ease could be his downfall.

Grabitall- If anything he is the easiest to read and makes no effort in disguising his motives namely monetary wealth. He doesn’t care one bit for honor or love, success for him is the sound of coins in his bag! As long as gold is before him he will fight and work hard. His desire for gain though could make him waver in this quest if options present themselves.

ClumsyClub- He was shielded in his responses and at times Ash Can felt he was looking into his old jester mirror prop. This ogre is cleverer than his constant asking for food, drink, and rest. But of the four his motives seem to be just what is being asked for. He seems ready to contribute for the right reasons. If things get difficult Ash Can believes Clumsy will be his best asset.

At Sebastina’s Base ( she considers it her own though her father built it)

EH- Your majestic evilness we have seen a group in the swamp heading in our direction
SB- Oh really, how many and what else could you see?
EH- Tis just five, a mage, a sword, a dwarf, an ogre, and a fool.
SB- Muhahahaha….is that all? But wait, what of this fool?
EH- My evil lady I heard them speak of a quest, no details spoken but sent by Ascania!
SB- Hmmm…interesting! Disgusting little sweet pea I will crush her! Ha ha ha is that all the support she could muster? Anything else?
EH- My evil lady around the camp fire they were playing a game! FT Monopoly-The Game of Clan Domination. It was the rattle of the dice that alerted us to their location!
SB- Oh that sounds like a devious game, I will have to get a copy…..but let us not get distracted. You know what this means don’t you?
EH- We will be having game nights again?
SB- No you fool! Ascania will assuredly be unprotected at her dwelling, what a prize it would be to add this disgusting daughter to her fathers’ cell!
EH- Yes evil mistress that will break Ascanius to do all our will!
SB- But my henchman we must be sure, I will go to this camp and use my charm spell on these few misguided warriors and learn Ascania’s present location and strength of arms.
EH- They will be powerless in your hand evil mistress, one toss of your hair and one wink of your eye and one luscious smile will render them your slaves!
SB- Why henchman I do believe I have charmed you! Ha ha ha
EH- Yes my lady you are all to me
SB- Insolent fool! Go now! Oh…and do not forget to get me one of those games. ( she storms off)
EH- Yes evil mistress! But lady….I never did answer your question about the fool….oh well it probably isn’t important.
Retired
justj99

Post by justj99 »

Keep going! Keep going! :) :) :) :)